Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AKAI Custom Guns

mlichtenfield

That's too bad you are asking this question now.  I'm sure all will end up fine in the end as there are many customers who have had good experiences.   Otherwise ask for your deposit back and do a ton more research about them and anyone else you can think of.

Good luck 

33 minutes ago, mlichtenfield said:

I recently ordered an open custom gun from AKAI. I had to put a lot of money. Is he ok to do business with, or do I have to worry that I won't get my gun and loose my money.

What, specifically, makes you ask this question?

3 hours ago, mlichtenfield said:

Hard to pin him down to a completion date.

That can be a normal part of smaller shops and strong custom work.  Typically a fully custom gun is a year, more or less.  What sort of window are you looking for in terms of date?

Note: I've never ordered a custom gun but know folks that have.  I don't know that I ever will, but I'm the kind of guy that would want a firm date before I put a deposit down.  That's just me, though, and shouldn't be used to infer anything about what to expect... just my personal "habit" in shopping for things.

I recently ordered 2 guns from shay at akai customs. I ordered a open v8 custom 38sc and a limited .40. I did do a lot of research before purchase and everything that I have heard about akai is first class. I am waiting as well and find the days and weeks to be long. I have not heard of any bad experiences with akai thats why I went with Him. Plus the guns are just beautiful, you have to admit. 

Note....

I am also waiting on my taran tactical m2 to be completed, it has been just as hard to get a completion date. My take is it is getting really busy with the good gun builders out there and you,have to wait so get in line now. Its like ice cream at disneyworld. If you want it , you have to get in line, but they deliver everytime. Most reputable gun builders are the same. Get in line but they will deliver everytime, just the time might be a little flexable. Lol.

16 hours ago, mlichtenfield said:

I recently ordered an open custom gun from AKAI. I had to put a lot of money. Is he ok to do business with, or do I have to worry that I won't get my gun and loose my money.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone complain about being ripped off by Akai.  Everybody has their own favorite custom gun maker, so you would certainly get varying opinions about who's the best.    

• 1 month later...

You will be fine.  Shay is good as gold.  delivery times vary as most finishing companies suck at giving lead times and sticking to them. Shay has been told 2 weeks on DLC before and the guns didn't come back for 3 months.  Be patient.  It will be worth it.  

I have known Shay for several years and he is as good as they come.  He does not spend a lot of time on the phone with you, but if a need arises he does communicate.  Text and Messenger are his primary communication tools.  When I sent Shay my deposit for my limited build I hade 2 limited guns so I was prepared for the wait.  Do yourself and Shay a favor and don't push the communications he needs to be working on guns rather than talking on the phone about gun related or build deadlines.  You will be presently pleased when it is finished and believe me you have nothing to worry about.

Walter

Marc,

You ordered a 9mm Open gun in September, then you changed your mind and wanted one of the guns in the safe. We sent you the gun in the safe, but you were not happy with it. We took it back and agreed to build you a different one. You then changed your order to one of our top of the line Tungsten sleeved open guns in 38SC. 

I sent you a picture of the finished gun and asked you for some time to tune and test it. This is a race gun, it needs testing and tuning. It has only been a week and it was a holiday.

Again, we will not ship out the gun until we are happy with it. We pushed you to the front of the line, it is now the fourth month on a super custom gun, please be patient. Blowing up my phone does not help.

Shay

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:28 PM, mlichtenfield said:

I recently ordered an open custom gun from AKAI.

Welcome to the Forums :)

Hope you enjoy them as much as I have - veritable font of knowledge.

Wish I could afford an Akai - I'd jump all over it.    :bow:

I've never shot one of Shay's guns,,but I've shot a lot of matches with Shadyscott and I never see his gun jam,burp,puke, ( some of the terms you hear ) I would not be afraid to send him money to build me a gun.

Good work. That's another 5min shay is not working on your gun cause he had to come on here to defend himself. 

Seriously if you want one of those builders who'll do the 1hr phone sessions and hold your hand on every little decision and ring you every time he accomplishes something then they are out there. To me that's a waste of time. 

if you want a top shelf competition 2011 that is hand built, customized and full of innovation then you go to someone like Shay Akai. You tell him what you want, drop off your bag of money and wait for the call. 

For the record many in demand builders have waits over 12 mths. Shay obviously knows how to get shit done. 

People from all over the world have ordered a shoot akais. I know a guy in New Zealand with a few. For him it costs over $10k and takes a long time for an Akai open. He's happy as can be just to have one. 

I don't own any akais but I've shot a few. I would have one in a heartbeat and probably will at some point. I respect the work shay is doing. 

13 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

I don't own any akais but I've shot a few. I would have one in a heartbeat and probably will at some point. I respect the work shay is doing. 

Agreed, I thought about buying one of his ready to go Open guns, just opted to build mine instead.....