Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS-6 for 130 PF 9mm?

ngodwetrust21

When I first started reloading, I was told because I was new to reloading that HS-6 was a good powder to start with. The reason I was given was that it would be easy to visually tell if I had double charged the case because the powder is almost to the top.

I have stuck with that powder for several years now and am wondering if there are better powder options to use. What are the disadvantages to using HS-6 and what are the advantages of the other powders?

Recoil / gas / cost.

Different powders require different amounts (weight) for the same velocity, and this influences the amount of recoil / gas that is produced.  You can select a powder that best suits your desired level of recoil preference based on how much is required to achieve your desired speed (power factor). The gas thing applies mostly to folks who are using a compensator. More gas means less muzzle rise.

There is some information on gunpowder and recoil at this link: http://38super.net/Pages/Recoil.html

8 hours ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

it would be easy to visually tell if I had double charged the case

It is Very Important to visually SEE the powder charge, in Every case, before

you seat the bullet ....

In Line Fabrication has a great light for $25 that attaches to your reloader, and lights

up the cartridge cases for you -

NOT very important to use the wrong powder any more - HS6  will produce more

recoil at PF 130 than N320 or WW231, or a host of other powders.

Try a fast powder (HS6 is a slow powder) - you'll enjoy the difference.   :) 

Thank you for the comments so far. They are very helpful. I checked out the link that superdude posted. It looks like tightgroup is also a pretty good powder to use. 2 people so far have listed N320. Any benefit to using one over the other between TG and N320?

HS-6 for sure is too slow for minor. you'll end up getting more perceived recoil since you have to generally use more powder by weight than a faster burning powder. it'll also be dirtier as I believe the majority of powders tend to burn dirty at lower pressures. Compared to .40 major, HP-38 is much dirtier in 9mm minor, so I can only imagine HS-6 would be pretty filthy.
I haven't really tested this myself, but I've heard N320 is not very temp sensitive since it's single base (which is rare for most pistol powders). The downside is the price. It's about 50% more over HP-38[emoji24]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2016 at 6:12 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Buy some Tite Group and don't look back. It is a great 9mm 40S&W and even 45acp powder. I found it more accurate than N320 in 40 S&W. It is half the cost as well. It does burn a little hot, but is not a barrel burner. Thanks, Eric

Agreed. And, very mild with a 147 gr. bullet, too.

Alright. The can of HS-6 is done and I bought a 4lb can of tite group. 

Any suggestions on what charge to use to make 130PF with a Stock II shooting round nose 147 gr blue bullets and federal primers?

Thanks again for all the helpful replies!!!

We run 3.2grs of Titegroup with 147gr plated X-treme so it would be close. Right @ 130PF. Probably a good starting point.

gerritm

Yup. What Gerrit said, 3.2 is the golden ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk