Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope Mount?

Southpaw

This is a potentially stupid question since I know nothing about magnified optics (currently only use red dots and irons).  I'm thinking about getting a Vortex Strike Eagle and looking at scope mounts.  I'm considering the Aero unless there's something else I should consider?  But what I'm confused about is which scope mount to get.  Aero makes a few different models.  They have the Extended model that moves the rings forward 1" and the SPR that has the rings forward 2".  Which one do I want for mounting on an AR?  Thanks

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ultralight-30mm-extended-scope-mount.html
or
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ultralight-30mm-spr-scope-mount.html

I run the SPR mount with my Strike Eagle.  it puts the eye piece at the right location:  correct eye relief, access to charging handle, and mounted only to upper (and not hand guard).

Aero_Mount.jpg

Edited by uewpew
rotated pic, corrected terminology

Thanks all.  Just ordered the SPR mount.

Ok stupid question #2:  what do I need to know about properly mounting a scope?  Or any tips/tricks to be aware of?  Like should I put the scope mount towards the front of the receiver and then try playing around with scope position on the mount to get the right eye relief?  And I heard the Aero mount is annoying to torque down as the scope rotates a bit while tightening, any tricks to getting that right?  Thanks

well...a little sarcasm here:  mount it like my picture for the 3 reasons i listed in the first post.  

I never experienced scope rotate when torquing ring screws...but i  torque a little at a time and alternate screws (like tire lugs...or any multi-screw/bolt mounting system...)

Other scope mounting information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE  

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/reticle-alignment-1.php   (live fire method still my favorite for long range shooting)

To piggyback on this topic, any thoughts on scope height. I see typical is 1.5 (to centerline).  I currently have a LT104 and do find that I have to mush my head down to get proper alignment. Midwest Industries is now making a mount that is 1.93. As I understand it, this taller mount may allow for a better head positioning.

uewpew, thanks!  That was very helpful.

6 hours ago, mitommy said:

To piggyback on this topic, any thoughts on scope height.

I hadn't even thought about that :blush:.  The Aero mount I ordered doesn't even say how tall it is.  I'm assuming it puts the scope the same height as normal iron sights?

Eye relief will be sensitive at 6x, so i suggest you mount the scope as far forward in the mount as you can, then move the whole mount/scope as a unit back and forth on the receiver to your liking. I suggest you settle on a way to mount the gun consistently - i.e. ensure your eye is always in the same relationship with the optic. I like to touch my nose to the charging handle, so my scope is mounted all the way forward.

In case it isn't obvious, make sure the reticle is as close to level as you can get it. With the flat caps of the Strike Eagle, you should be able to clamp the gun down and use a spirit level alternately on the elevation cap and the receiver rail until both are level.

Lastly, do NOT fall into the trap of thinking you always have to run at maximum magnification on long-distance targets. I try to run the lowest magnification I can get away with consistent with seeing the targets clearly. Lower magnification is more forgiving of head position and makes it easier to acquire targets and transition between them. It is not unusual for folks running too much magnification to completely blow by a targets because they just didn't see it. The only downside with lower magnification, at least on the Strike Eagle, is that the BDC only works at 6x.

That's for the info!  Very helpful!

12 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

The only downside with lower magnification, at least on the Strike Eagle, is that the BDC only works at 6x.

Oh I didn't realize that.  And I just ordered the Strike Eagle :blush:.  I hope I like it :)

3 hours ago, Southpaw said:

That's for the info!  Very helpful!

Oh I didn't realize that.  And I just ordered the Strike Eagle :blush:.  I hope I like it :)

Not really a problem - most low power variable scopes are 2nd focal plane so have the same issue. If you need BCD, you are probably going to the higher magnification anyway.

6 months ago I bought a strike eagle upon stealthy's aadvise and I'm very pleased with it.  Like stealthy said on six power I relief is very sensitive. This scope way out shoot me. Have fun shoot lots of rounds and get used to it. It's a great optic.

• 3 weeks later...

So the Strike Eagle arrived last week, but the mount was on backorder from Brownells. I saw it was in stock at Primary Arms earlier this week and on sale a little cheaper than it was on sale at Brownells so I cancelled the backorder and got it from Primary Arms. Should arrive in a few days. Looking forward to trying it out.

I'm happy with my strike eagles. I've got one on a ruger American ranch rifl in 300 blk it's a woods gun so the 1-6 is awesome. And I've got one on my three gun rifle. It will probably get replaced with a 1-6 pst when released or a razor ogh

• 4 months later...

Your scope is only as good as the mount it sits in. I've had great experience the last two years with Bobro Engineering mounts. Yes, they are expensive. But you'll not have to worry about losing your zero in route to a match or traveling for 3gun. I think that level of confidence is worth paying a little extra for. 

On 11/26/2016 at 3:45 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

Not really a problem - most low power variable scopes are 2nd focal plane so have the same issue. If you need BCD, you are probably going to the higher magnification anyway.

Yep and most BDCs are harder to see at lower powers anyway with FFP scopes. I think FFP should be used on scopes with higher power ranges generally.