Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics optimal barrel length

gavagai

There was an old post by TGO talking about 5.25 muzzle rise in which he said something like "I'm prepared to tolerate the extra muzzle rise of the longer barrel in order to get the better sight radius" (sorry if I've just misquoted him here but that's how I remembered it).

I was soon about to get a 5.25 and a Springer dovetail mount for Carry Optics but I wonder if the shorter 4.5 OSP might be better in terms of muzzle rise given that sight radius isn't adding much value (or maybe a Mod.2 5"). Can anyone who has a clue offer an opinion? Is there an optimal XD barrel length for CO?

Of course a shorter barrel gun is going to be snappier than a longer barrel gun, but you can negate the difference with recoil springs, load development, and a little bit of practice shooting the longer barrel gun.  I don't have experience with red dots and XD's, or red dots on different size guns in general, but when I switched from a 4" to a 5" iron sighted gun I don't recall muzzle rise being a issue.  I did notice the difference in felt recoil, and the 5" was definitely more manageable.

I may not know what I'm taking about but my guess is that even with a red dot you would have at least a little bit of a advantage in accuracy with a longer barrel gun.

I would go with 5.25 if it were me.  The Mod 2 hasn't been approved by USPSA, yet.

I started out with a 5.25 and th Springer mount back in 2014, I swapped out the supplied recoil spring for a 14lb and got the PRP trigger kit for it. Changing the recoil spring made a huge difference in the muzzle flip of the gun, it was a blast to shoot. 

I was impressed with the accuracy, right out of the box. I think it's a great setup for CO.

Thanks for the comments, guys. It gives me confidence. Honestly, if I had a 5.25 I wouldn't even be asking, and I'm not good enough for it to make any real difference anyway, but since I don't have a CO suitable gun I thought I might as well start out with the best possible option.

So I found the post ... Springfield Armory XDM 5.25 9mm Review and include it here because it's always better to see a direct quote, especially one from TGO.

==>
A longer sight radius will always have the appearance of increased muzzle flip when compared to a shorter one, all else being equal as the sight is further from you when the gun is pointed up at the same angle. Also there has to be more weight at the end of the slide regardless of the total weight of the slide when compared to a shorter one. That weight causes an increase in torque as the muzzle moves vertically caused by the resistance of the rearward movement of the gun by your hand which is lower than the line of force. So yes, the longer slide will have more flip, both in actual and visual measurement. I am willing to accept the greater muzzle rise to gain the sighting radius which allows me to aim more precisely and quickly.
<==

@Steve RA Yeah, that was what was leading me away from the 5.25, because the quote made me think I might be "paying" for the (meaningless) sight radius. [Edited out stuff that didn't make sense]

But I've never shot CO, nor even a polymer competitively, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what others have to say.

Edited by gavagai

I have two XDm 5.25 9mm with PRP drop in triggers, with Springer mount and Burris FastFire 3. Also put in lighter springs. Been shooting CO with this set up since it came into existence. I've been shooting Production with a couple Accu Shadows for 3 years. My plan was to try out CO with the XDm's and if i liked it eventually spend more money and go to a couple Accu Shadows.  Well, the XDm's are far more accurate than i will ever be and are really fun to shoot. So i'm staying with the XDm's for CO.

Edited by JGus

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

If you are referring to me as OP, I sat on my hands.

I am neither knowledgeable, experienced, nor a good shooter, so I'm not sure you should take anything away from my evaluation either. My conclusions were along these lines...

1. Sight radius is completely meaningless with optics (obviously)

2. Barrel length affects accuracy, load for PF, and any added weight would mitigate recoil, so it's not unimportant

3. 4 1/2" is a good compromise if you want to double-purpose the gun (CO + Prod)

4. The ability to have irons and optics easily on the same gun (not necessarily concurrently) is a big advantage for double-purposing 

5. For CO, in particular, the 140mm mag availability, cost and capacity should be included in your comparisons

I had decided to go with an OSP when I last posted above.

On the way to the store my good intentions got run over by events. I decided to focus on CO, so double-purposing became irrelevant. I picked up a PPQ and discovered what a gun can feel like when it fits me. The Sig 320 X5 became almost tangible. The CZ P10-C was waved under my nose (I have small hands but like a forward break). I tried the E2 grip on my 226 and suddenly found I could shoot it at last, but mag availability made that less desirable for CO. Crippled by indecision, familiar to me from stage planning, I decided to revert to my original optics plan and shoot Open.

Hope that helps :-)

Edited by gavagai

5.25 , Springer trigger, 14 lb spring, and this thing rocks. It is not the gun that will hold you back. 

Also it is not flip...it is the dip. I know of no one that can shoot while pistol is still in the up cycle. Slow mo your shots. Control the dip and the secondary rise from the dip and your follow up will be good.

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I am going to shoot CO with my 5.25 XDm in .40, with a Burris II, and a mount from Springer that fits into the rear sight slot. Yesterday was my first real practice with minor .40 rounds and the dot, and other then losing a few rounds versus the 9MM, I think it will be fun. Normally I shoot L10 or Limited with an STI .45, so this will be totally new to me.

I personally feel the longer barrel helps keep the barrel down, I also have the 4.5 XDm and it feels snappier then the 5.25. Sooooo, I doubt I will switch to CO, but with my eyes headed towards old man vision, it will be CO or Open......................