Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay since the only Timer thread is dead... CED 7000 vs. Pocket Pro ii

Chutist

So my Pact Died... Need a new timer.  My Club uses the CED 7000's and they work fine.  Easy, get one, right!?

Not so fast.... They have a bunch, if a battery dies, they grab another... Not so easy for me.  Also the display isn't visible from clipped you your belt..... So Pocket Pro II is looking pretty good right now.  Replaceable 9v battery and a display that I can see while it's clipped to my belt....

or forget both and go SHOTMAXX?

Edited by Chutist
Grammer?

Only two things I don't like about my Pocket Pro II:  Its beep is not as loud as the CED 7000, and it's a bit plastic-icky compared to the CED.  It feels like it would shatter if you dropped it on concrete. 

The larger display on the PP II is great though. 

If you get the belt clip for the CED 7000, it has an easy flip up feature that lets you read the time without having to take the timer off your belt. 

4 hours ago, Hooked said:

Only two things I don't like about my Pocket Pro II:  Its beep is not as loud as the CED 7000

ITS NOT SO MUCH THE VOLUME AS IT IS THE FREQUENCY. FOR SOME OLDER SHOOTERS THE GNARLY BUZZ OF THE PO II IS MUCH PREFERRED OVER THE HIGH PITCHED BEEP OF THE CED.

The larger display on the PP II is great though. ABSOLUTELY

If you get the belt clip for the CED 7000, it has an easy flip up feature that lets you read the time without having to take the timer off your belt.

PP II IS READABLE ON THE BELT AS WELL. 

PP II takes a simple 9 volt battery where the CED must be kept charged.

PP II IS much easier to keep track of due to its larger size.

If you are ever going to become an RO the PP II is the better choice I think. If you just want to use it for training and self use, have good eyesight, have good hearing, then the CED will work just fine.

Of the 2 listed I much prefer the PP2, mostly because of the screen size and clarity, and it seems easier to punch the buttons to me as well.  I have no experience with the Shotmax, so no comment there

Thanks guys... The battery thing is a big deal to me.  With my work schedule I never know when I'm going to get to practice and don't want to get to the range and "discover" I didn't charge the timer.

i did use a CED7000 over the weekend as RO and it does work fine too....

Keep'm coming guys, taking it all in... :D

18 hours ago, bjones6686 said:

Why not buy another Pact timer? I have the Pact Club Timer 3 and love it. I had the pocket pro and didn't care for it. The CED 7000 is nice and compact but I don't care for the internal battery design.

I found Pact Customer Service lacking when I had an issue with my Pact Scale. Fool me once.... ;)

PPII ordered this morning, THANKS GUYS! :D

And since I didn't have anything to lose... I disassembled the PACT this morning and found why it stopped working - Broken wire at the solder joint to one of the buzzer connections.  Resoldered and that fixed the buzzer...

"Go" button has been requiring an extra hard mash to trigger.  Took that apart and turns out it's a button that connects traces on a circuit card.  Cleaned the card traces and reassembled.  Works easy again! :D

(maybe this will help somebody else)

• 1 month later...

I picked up a CED 7000 and so far I am happy with it. Haven't really messed around with the other timers out there though. I am using mine for doing drills/practicing. Also really like the size of the 7000, doesn't take up much space in the range bag. 

I use my CED 7000 for practice, primarily . . . occasionally for running shooters. I chose this timer because of its size. You see, I'm one of those people that wears pocket tees, exclusively. The CED is a perfect fit!

Oh, and with the optional sleeve, a drop on concrete does no damage. Tested, accidentally, several times. :rolleyes:

Edited by Reshoot

Shot timers are fairly cheap and hold their resale value well. So why not simply get a couple to try out and what you don't like sell it at a minimal loss?

I have owned and used many different brands of shot timers over the years and have settled on the Pocket Pro II as my primary shot timer. The only issue with the Pocket Pro II is that the LCD screen is not water resistant at all. If you shoot in rainy conditions and allow water to seep into the screen it will ruin it. How it clips onto your pocket or belt also promotes this issue because the LCD screen is pointing upwards allowing water to get into the screen easily. I have replaced the LCD screen twice on my oldest Pocket Pro II due to water damage and Competition Electronics has awesome customer service. I never sent in the timer to have the LCD replaced, I would simply order a replacement LCD and replace it myself as its a fairly easy Soldering job to get done.

The older Pocket Pro has a clear plastic screen that covers the LCD so its more resistant to water damage. My primary issue with the older Pocket Pro is how the timer functions with reviewing shots. It isn't as easy to review shots on the older Pocket Pro verses the newer Pocket Pro II. If I am ROing a match I think the best timer is the older Pocket Pro because of its better water damage resistance and always having the large format digit output. For personal training where I am reviewing the shots regularly the Pocket Pro II wins hands down from an ease of use and review perspective.

The CED 7000 and ShotMaxx timers are nice and have a few features that other timers don't. But their non-replaceable rechargeable batteries are a deal breaker for me. I have lost count of how many times I reached in my range bag and pulled out a CED timer only to find that the battery was dead or almost dead. My CED timers are primarily used for dry fire practice at home today and they live connected to their chargers most of the time. The Primary feature that I really like on the CED timers is their Multi Par time function. Being able to set multiple par time beeps at different times within a single string is very useful in tracking events during dry fire practice. This function allows me to keep track of how long individual actions take to get done within a drill along with the overall par time given to the drill its self. This is very useful in figuring out which sub components of the drill are taking how much time to get done.    

59 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

The CED 7000 and ShotMaxx timers are nice and have a few features that other timers don't. But their non-replaceable rechargeable batteries are a deal breaker for me. I have lost count of how many times I reached in my range bag and pulled out a CED timer only to find that the battery was dead or almost dead. My CED timers are primarily used for dry fire practice at home today and they live connected to their chargers most of the time.

For what it is worth, the CED7000 manual page 4 says to return the timer to CED or DAA for a battery replacement and a couple paragraphs down it says not to leave the timer connected to the charger. 

No worries.

I have dropped mine on the concrete once or twice and it took the insult without breaking, the others might be just as tough though. 

Ced 7000 battery IS user replaceable as above and costs about 10 bucks and lasts a long time. For another 10 bucks you get the aa power pack and keep it in the range back for that 'oh shit' moment when you get to the range and realise you forgot to charge it. 

i like the pocket pro 2 as well but the 7000 is a better timer imo. I prefer chargeable battery (the cost of all those 9v adds up). The battery pack should last a few years and is cheap an easy to replace. 

I have had a PP2 for 8 years, and my club has been running them for longer. We really like them; however, the one caveat is that living in the northwest we tend to shoot a lot in the rain and they are not very water resistant. We have burned up several. You can put them in a bag of course, but it doesn't always happen.

Shotmaxx 2 is now on DAA. Havent tried it yet but if its reliability problems in Shotmaxx 1 has been resolved it would be a great timer. Had the 1, very handy watch-like on the wrist, lots of advanced and usefull features never seen on all other current timers. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2017 at 9:35 PM, Jeff Phillips said:

I have had a PP2 for 8 years, and my club has been running them for longer. We really like them; however, the one caveat is that living in the northwest we tend to shoot a lot in the rain and they are not very water resistant. We have burned up several. You can put them in a bag of course, but it doesn't always happen.

How does the CED stand up to the water?  Just lost my first PP2 to water damage.