Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 1911 for USPSA

jw3378

Howdy gents,

Been shooting single stack with a Loaner Kimber for a few months now and am very interested in purchasing my own 1911. 

I recently went in to a local gun store and got my hands on a Sig STX and was instantly in love with it. How would this model fair for single stack? Is this a model that could impede me in the future. 

Min my research I stumbled upon an article by Robby Letham saying the Springfield RO Operator is a fantastic option and also little less expensive. (Yes, I know, Robby is paid to say that)

Looking for opinions or other recommendations preferably around the 1k mark. As much as I'd love a Sig Max it's out of the question currently. 

I was expecting quite a few Trojan recommendations. Looks like I need to get to hunting. 

I do have the opportunity to get the RO for 850 out the door. Which saves 150-200 bucks for upgrades and ammo. 

21 minutes ago, jw3378 said:

I was expecting quite a few Trojan recommendations. Looks like I need to get to hunting. 

I do have the opportunity to get the RO for 850 out the door. Which saves 150-200 bucks for upgrades and ammo. 

That'd be my choice. I have a .45 cal Trojan, but have been oh so close to buying a 9mm RO as a minor gun several times.

Hello: First decide on whether you want to shoot major or minor? Do you reload? The Sig Max is a good buy since it already has the best parts in there. You can buy a cheaper pistol and upgrade as you shoot more. Springfield, Kimber, Sig, S&W, STI, Ruger, Remington all offer 1911's. I would suggest you handle them all and see how they feel in your hands. All 1911's don't feel the same. I have a couple Springfield Loaded 9mm and a Loaded 40 S&W as well. They feel good in my hand but need a checkered front wrap to make them better. I don't like the Trojan front strap dimples and would put skate tape over them. Good luck on your search and take your time to find what will work best for you. Warning 1911's are addicting. Thanks, Eric

My recommendation is the Springfield by far. Have several RO's (Major and Minor) and they are shooters right out of the box. Only mods I've done is a FO front sight, Magwell, and worked the trigger to a nice crisp 3.5#. Excellent product with amazing Customer service.  JMHO

In your budget the Springfield Range Officer would be a good choice. It'll leave you with funds to upgrade as you see fit when your skill set deems it necessary. It's a gun that'll serve you well for as long as you take care of it. Let's not forget Springfield's customer service (should you need it) in this decision as well. 

Im going in to a shop with a very large selection of 1911's tomorrow. Gonna try and get my hands on as many as I can and see if I fall in love with any one of them. At this point in leaning towards the RO, but I guess we will see. 

1 hour ago, Blueridge said:

Is the Colt Competition good for consideration?

I have found the Colt Competition to be hit or miss. I do have a Colt Special Combat Government that is about as good from Colt's custom shop as I've seen.

scg01a.jpg

RO is a solid option for your price range.  Trigger is fine, not spectacular out of the box.  The ginormous rear sight is fine as far as utility goes, but is very larger and very square, which isn't always kind to your hands while racking the slide.

Add a magwell, better grips and a FO front sight and you'll still be within budget, more so if you buy lightly used.  Adding some grip tape to the frontstrap is a good idea too.

ETA #1 - re-spring the gun to match your loads.  handles much better with more appropriate spring weight.

ETA -- when/if you add a magwell like Dawson ICE that comes with it's own MSH... you will have to replace some of the internals - if i recall, the mainspring, mainspring cap, and mainspring cap retaining pin.  the OEM parts are spec'd to the ILS system and aren't a straight swap.  << going from memory on this, so it might not be the exact list of parts that need to be replaced.

Edited by kcd19
update

I have both a Kimber and an RO, and I would not suggest the Kimber in any way. It does fit my hand better then the RO. The RO is a good start, but it will take work out of the box. I was OK with it, until I shot by friends new SIG Max. That is ready to compete with immediately, and is one of the best handling 1911's I have ever had in me mitts. I did see another post where Team SIG is not in action anymore, but I do not know if that includes the team that shoots the MAX.

After you are done getting the RO up to speed, it will be close to 1k to 1.2. The Max new is $1400, I if you have the budget, thats the way I would go.

I have both, a Trojan and RO in 9. Both are 100% reliable and equally accurate. Both required trigger work and Ice mag wells. The RO is $500 less. You do the math. Having said that I would not give up my Trojan. It has better internals IMO. Both have fragile finishes but the Trojan is available in hard chrome for a bit more. It's not worth the $$$ to me because both are tools that get used hard and chrome still gets scuffs and scratches too.

On 11/23/2016 at 7:50 PM, jw3378 said:

Howdy gents,

Been shooting single stack with a Loaner Kimber for a few months now and am very interested in purchasing my own 1911. 

I recently went in to a local gun store and got my hands on a Sig STX and was instantly in love with it. How would this model fair for single stack? Is this a model that could impede me in the future. 

Min my research I stumbled upon an article by Robby Letham saying the Springfield RO Operator is a fantastic option and also little less expensive. (Yes, I know, Robby is paid to say that)

Looking for opinions or other recommendations preferably around the 1k mark. As much as I'd love a Sig Max it's out of the question currently. 

Owned an STX for 7-8 years or more shot it a bunch in SS then bought a MAX a few years ago when they first where available.  Sold the MAX kept the STX.

IT'll do everything you need.  Slide is classic SIG shape so check holsters before you buy or get a SIG specific one.

I built a 40 so it's my back up gun now but still shoot it a lot, get a Harrison rear sight that will give you a flat sight picture and a magwell and you're good to go after some trigger work which every out of the box will most likely need.

Good fortune

I had a RO for a while. Good solid gun but not great out of the box.  When I had mine I added a cheap Wilson magwell.  The Dawson Ice is far better.  At the time, I was a little intimidated to get inside of the gun and really figure out how to make things better.  For $150 in trigger parts, $100 DP Ice magwell, $70 VZ grips, $40/$80 DP sights and mags you can make it a great gun.  Or just spend $1000 at Dawson and buy their CRP version with most of the stuff already done.