Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 1911 for USPSA

jw3378

Note: The Range Officer Operator comes with three-dot sights, not the Range Officer competition rear sight/fiber front.  The Operator series are made for carry, not competition.  The railed frame is nice for balance.

That said, my ROO is the best slide-to-frame fit I've ever had out of the box in a 1911 and it's dead-on accurate.  Mine is a carry gun (and sports a TLR-1, accordingly, which further helps the balance) but it's got me looking for a Range Officer in .45 for Single Stack - I currently shoot local matches with my other Range Officer in 9mm and larger matches with a much-match-upgraded Para Expert in .45.

Edited by mreed911

I know it's not the Trojan, but went to a local shop today and stumbled upon a STI Spartan used by the owner (who I know very well) for $625 with one Tripp mag and the front strap checkeeing. Would this be reasonable option as well?

Seems like a very good deal to me.

Thanks gents

I know it's not the Trojan, but went to a local shop today and stumbled upon a STI Spartan used by the owner (who I know very well) for $625 with one Tripp mag and the front strap checkeeing. Would this be reasonable option as well?

Seems like a very good deal to me.

Thanks gents

Yes. Jump on this assuming it's in good condition and has sights you like.

It had a green DP fiber optic front that was very thin, i did quite like it. It did show some moderate to heavy holster-ware, but other than that, the lock up was very nice and extremely smooth, the slide fit was not unbelievably good but more then acceptable, the machining on the front strap was very nicely done, and the trigger was very crisp at 3.5#.

If anything I think this gun could hold me over long enough for me to decide if I'd want to solely commit to single stack and move to the top of the quality ladder. At that point it would make a wonderful back up for not a lot of coin

Hello: If the front strap has been checkered I would go ahead and buy it. They did not come that way from STI and someone paid some money to have it done. They are really good pistols I still have one in 45 and it still shoots great and is fit very well. You are going to love it. Get some more Tripp mags for it and 6 mag pouches and have some fun. Thanks, Eric

EASY to replace the optic with your color of choice.  That price for a battle-tested and obviously loved gun, assuming it's not junk on the inside?  Do it.  Worst case you sell it later.

Just sad I haven't seen springer ro's on sale today... :(

I had a SIG Traditional Tacops and used it for a couple USPSA matches and was a great gun. Right now I'm playing Single Stack Minor with a Wilson Combat CQB with dawson ice magwell and front sight. 

For the 1k-1.5k ish range I suggest the Springfield RO, Springfield Loaded, STI Trojan, Sig Traditional Match, Sig Max Michel model (already comes race ready but you might prefer different basepads as the Wilsons fit flush with the Ice Magwell). Another option abeit rough is a Rock Island FS 1911 with Novak dovetails so you can slap on some Dawsons and a magwell of your choice. You'll have extra money to spend on quality mags and even more ammo.

Lots of great options!

• 1 month later...
On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Gman57 said:

I have found the Colt Competition to be hit or miss. I do have a Colt Special Combat Government that is about as good from Colt's custom shop as I've seen.

scg01a.jpg

I have this in stainless....it was gifted to me by a friend.  Great gun.  Is it kinda rare?

Save up a little more and buy the Max of that's what you want. You're going to spend at least that much adding parts the Max already has to whatever you buy for $1000.

I second the captain's recommendation. I have the Sig Max in 40 and love it. I changed mine over to a Series 70 with the shim and added a lighter mainspring to make the trigger pull lighter at around 3lbs.

There are better upgraded parts already installed, including an extended firing pin. The Wilson Combat mags that come with it are awesome.

The only one that is comparable is the STI Trojan Competition Ready by Dawson. My buddy has it and loves his.

2ab44a286c0343b90529a34498489e51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I considered the SA RO but that Fred Flintstone rear sight killed the deal. I have made 3 great Trojan deals just watching the classifieds on this forum. Looks like there are a couple really nice STIs for sale right now.

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 8:49 PM, jw3378 said:

I plan to shoot major and am reloading for 9mm currently and am in the process of gathering the parts for my Dillon caliber conversion. 

With 40 cal you will not have to change primers