Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 in limited

Lhelliott

Why is it that no one shoots .45 acp and .40 s&w is so dominant in USPSA? Is there any major disadvantage between the 2. When ever I do pull the trigger for a major gun I am leaning towards the 45 for a couple reasons but mainly to keep the number of different calibers to a minimal. What am I missing here.

With the extensions, we can be at 17+1 capacity, but there are those times when 20+1 from a .40 will have the advantage.  I shoot the Glock 41 in Limited and Limited 10 to try and stay as comfortable with it as I can for shooting Multigun in the Heavy Metal Limited division which requires a .45 ACP of Limited 10 specifications.  Even with only 10 rounds in the magazine, the magazine extension makes for easier magazine loading, handling, and especially putting in a magwell.

It isn't just capacity, although that is the biggest reason.  The 40 feels like it recoils less.  If you shoot a lot of lost brass matches, 40sw brass is way cheaper than 45 brass.  Also, 45ACP does not always feed smoothly in double stacks.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

It isn't just capacity, although that is the biggest reason.  The 40 feels like it recoils less.  If you shoot a lot of lost brass matches, 40sw brass is way cheaper than 45 brass.  Also, 45ACP does not always feed smoothly in double stacks.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Hello: I know a few guys who shoot double stack 45's and they just run great. They are using 200 SWC with Clays powder which feels pretty good. With the stage designs being single stack friendly there is always a good place to reload. One of the guys runs a 45 with a 6" lightened slide on a Para frame. Some of the others are using STI's. Loosing 45 brass is the biggest drawback that I can see. Kinda like loosing 38 super comp brass :P Thanks, Eric

23 hours ago, zzt said:

This is pretty much it... I have an EGW built Para in .45.  IT RUNS, but you have to pay attention to everything - ammo length, clean mags, chamber check/drop every round.  It's the most accurate gun i own. I have Grams pads for it - yes Grams - they used to make them -holds 17ish... I have one that holds 18 

IT STAYS IN THE SAFE when I go to matches and one of my STI's in .40 goes....

The STI's all hold 20 +1.  3 rounds is an advantage... Sure if everything goes perfect, maybe not?  But drop a shot on a Texas Star or a popper....more rounds is more better - PERIOD DOT.  Just think about the time lost if you take a standing reload.....

IMHO- It's a BIGGER advantage for a LOWER class shooter.... WE MISS MORE that a Master or GM. ;) - 

On 11/23/2016 at 3:35 PM, zzt said:

The 40 feels like it recoils less. 

Not to me. 

When I bought a gun for L10 (ban state) I went with 45 not only because I load more of it, but because I preferred the recoil over 40.

I started shooting an STI Eagle this year in .45 and really at my level in Limited, the extra two shots that a .40 may have make absolutely no difference. I use the same gun to shoot L10, and really like it. I use the MBX mags,and feeding for the double stack works just fine. I had heard the STI double stack mags did not work well, but I also use two of the 15 round mags, and zippo issues.

The argument about recoil is never ending, but to me, the .45 feels better. Recoil is subjective, .45 is more of a slow push, the .40 is snappier. I prefer the .45 by a wide margin. I figured out the cost difference is about the cost of a Starbucks coffee for the use of 200 rounds. Taking into consideration what money we spend on our gear, $6 is not going to sway me to another caliber. 

Shoot what you enjoy, and what feels better, that is what works for you.

I remember when a 1911 45acp with 10 round mags was Limited.  At the 1995 Nationals a guy with a new Para framed gun seemed to have his gun checked by the RO at every stage, passed inspection every time.

20 hours ago, mont1120 said:

I started shooting an STI Eagle this year in .45 and really at my level in Limited, the extra two shots that a .40 may have make absolutely no difference. I use the same gun to shoot L10, and really like it. I use the MBX mags,and feeding for the double stack works just fine. I had heard the STI double stack mags did not work well, but I also use two of the 15 round mags, and zippo issues.

The argument about recoil is never ending, but to me, the .45 feels better. Recoil is subjective, .45 is more of a slow push, the .40 is snappier. I prefer the .45 by a wide margin. I figured out the cost difference is about the cost of a Starbucks coffee for the use of 200 rounds. Taking into consideration what money we spend on our gear, $6 is not going to sway me to another caliber. 

Shoot what you enjoy, and what feels better, that is what works for you.

That is the key:  Having fun with what you enjoy shooting.  I think too often people tend to believe the tools make the carpenter, or the caliber makes the shooter.  I could shoot .22LR through an open pistol and still not be a threat to Nils in Limited.    

On 11/25/2016 at 0:25 PM, Bruce said:

That is the key:  Having fun with what you enjoy shooting.  I think too often people tend to believe the tools make the carpenter, or the caliber makes the shooter.  I could shoot .22LR through an open pistol and still not be a threat to Nils in Limited.    

This made me smile!

Probably true for a lot of us, so it better be fun!!!