Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TacSol 2211 conversion

Mike41

Are there many people shooting these conversions on their 2011 lowers?

Just wondering about reliability of them? 

I already have a 22/45 that is highly modified but it doesn't give me the grip feel of the 2011 or trigger feeling.

Mike

Max Michel and Jessie Duff both shoot Tacsol 2011 conversions for Steel Challenge.

I have 4 of them, that I've gathered over the last 5 years.  Use good ammo and you should be happy with it.  I use whatever is cheap for practice, but shoot CCI standard velocity or minimags for matches.

Seiichi

BJ Norris used a TacSol conversion to win the Ruger Rimfire WC back in 2011, mounted on the Scandium framed S&W he used while shooting for S&W. I think he used the same setup to win the WSSC in 2011 also. Not sure about SC but he uses a Ruger MK III in NSSF Rimfire Challenge in recent days.

• 1 month later...

IMG_4385.jpgSkip the Tacsol and go with the Nelson Custom Guns conversion. It's been the hot ticket for the past few years at CMP for reliability, accuracy and customer service.

Link to one review:

Nelson review

Awesome people to talk to if you have any questions. Also, plenty of spare parts to be had and options to suit your needs.

NCG

Edited by v1911

• 1 month later...

I am in the same boat.  I have a Marvel Unit 1 with a new barrel just back from Marvel.  The Marvel unit is the same design as the Nelson (above) and they are as accurate as they come which is why you see them all over the bullseye circuit.

I shoot a lot of steel challenge and I have seen/heard more about TacSols unit for reliability under the stress of Steel challenge.   My experience with the Marvel is like anything else built primarily for accuracy, it can be picky.  I must use standard velocity, high quality ammunition.  In the bullseye game, a jam can be absorbed with an alibi, in steel challenge, however, you dont have that luxury. A jam could cost you a stage.

Its for this reason I was looking into a tacsol upper for steel challenge.  Plenty accurate and maybe a hair more tolerance for ammo/dirt.  Max Michele shot a tacsol conversion as recently as the 2016 steel championship and yes several other shooters have been running them.

I have several ruger MKs heavily modified for SC and they run perfect so its kind of silly to mess with a good thing but Im just overly curious about shooting with a 1911 frame like my old USPSA open days.  

I like those Nelson ones. Does anybody know if the one with sights also can take a red dot? I've been wanting to get a 22 for my girls to try steel challenge. I was looking at the buckmark but a friend suggested the conversion so I get the advantage of my 1911 trigger. 

What at is involved on fitting it to my frame? 

thanks guys

red

1 hour ago, DagoRed said:

I like those Nelson ones. Does anybody know if the one with sights also can take a red dot? I've been wanting to get a 22 for my girls to try steel challenge. I was looking at the buckmark but a friend suggested the conversion so I get the advantage of my 1911 trigger. 

What at is involved on fitting it to my frame? 

thanks guys

red

They typically offer them in 3 top rail options, one is a scope mount only (like the one in the photo above), an iron sight rail only (has front and rear sight but no rail for scope) and a combo rail that has iron sights and a scope rail combined in one.  The rails are screwed to the barrel with two screws so they are removable.  You can buy one of each for example and switch them back and forth.   They also come threaded or non threaded, i recommend a few extra bucks for the option to add threaded accessories.  Buy once, cry once. 

As for fitting, you simply remove your old slide stop pin and take off the barrel/slide.  You slide on the conversion, insert the slide stop in that comes with it, and tighten it down with the supplied tool, very easy.  Best of luck. 

Edited by ksf141