Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many magazines

Garmil

Most people are more clumsy with the 170s. You, me, that guy walking down the street. Everyone except Robot. Maybe if you have huge hands then sure the 155s might be quicker to load with than the 140s, but I would need to see evidence of that to believe it. And your comment of "they can be used as a big stick as well"? What does that even mean? For all those times you want to start a stage with a big stick but are worried that the extra weight of 3 more 115s in the magazine is gonna slow down your draw? The biggest benefit I see from them is just not having a big stick at all and never ever having to worry about it getting called too long at the chrono station. 

If you are happy with them, good, I'm glad. MBX makes great magazines, I am sure they 155s are amazing as well. If someone is starting from scratch (no magazines) then sure maybe then they make sense in lieu of 140s. But adding them to your magazine quiver to fill some supposed special niche? Hard pass. 

I only have 3 magazines which is why I chose to buy the 155s, hence the "use them as a big stick" in case my 170 started giving me trouble which it hasn't (knock on wood). I am not one of those people who need to have 10 magazines in my bag. I just need 3 that work and with that in mind I may buy a 4th which would be another 170 but that would be it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of things to consider concerning # & type of magazines.  What runs reliably in your gun, belt setup, budget, & proficiency with reloading different length magazines.  The minimalistlist setup is 3 magazines ( 2x140 & 1x170).  If you dryfire a lot or shoot at an indoor range, you may want to invest in more.  If budget is a concern, I'd recommend testing MBX magazines before going all in (reliability is not an issue, but may require modification the mag catch).

With just getting in to the Open game I went with three 140's, one 155 and one 170 all MBX. I know I'll never need all at one time.... but stuff happens and you may fine yourself needing a replacement mag between stages. Also for the small dollar difference I wanted to try a 155.

To each there own and just my .02

G

10 hours ago, Gman57 said:

With just getting in to the Open game I went with three 140's, one 155 and one 170 all MBX. I know I'll never need all at one time.... but stuff happens and you may fine yourself needing a replacement mag between stages. Also for the small dollar difference I wanted to try a 155.

To each there own and just my .02

G

Have you used the 155 yet?  How does it load compared to the 140? 

I really think what's holding me up is that I practice with 2 mag sizes, 140 and 170.  Adding the 155 I'm not sure how much adjustment it will take to make a smooth transition. 

I run 140s, 155s, & 170s.  No issue with reloading to 155s, but still prefer 140s for classifier stages.  I know a few shooters that run 170s exclusively, but my mag pouch placement doesn't allow for 2x170s comfortably on my belt.

1 hour ago, ScottieShootz said:

Have you used the 155 yet?  How does it load compared to the 140? 

I really think what's holding me up is that I practice with 2 mag sizes, 140 and 170.  Adding the 155 I'm not sure how much adjustment it will take to make a smooth transition. 

I don't think the transition from 140 to 155 is that noticeable.... 170 feels more clumsy but with more practice that should change too.

How many rounds are most guys fitting in their 155s?

Ive shot many matches with two 140s and one 170s. I also only used two mag pouches.  This works great until a 32 round, empty gun start and a mag change is fumbled...

1 hour ago, choppe said:

Ive shot many matches with two 140s and one 170s. I also only used two mag pouches.  This works great until a 32 round, empty gun start and a mag change is fumbled...

26 for reloads, 27 (in one only) for loading.

2 hours ago, choppe said:

I just run 25 if it's on my belt and 26 if needed on a stage start.

4 hours ago, choppe said:

I'd buy a 3rd mag pouch or run a magnet on the belt for these type stages.

I have 3: 170's and 3: 140's.

I never use the 140's.

It's different loading a 170 when you are used to a 140 from limited.

If you were starting from scratch I would just buy 170's and make sure you have good mag pouches so you can tighten them up when you have to run fast.

I lost all of my 170's when hauling ass.  They flew out of my pouches.  Now I tighten them!??