Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many magazines

Garmil

1 hour ago, ScottieShootz said:

I currently have no issues loading to a 170 if a stage has me starting with a 140.  I'm just not sure if the 155 will fill the need to load to instead of the 170 or not.  If it doesn't, I'm affraid I'd end up never using the dang thing and its a waste of money. 

That's my concern as well. I can't think of a situation that loading to a 155 would be significantly better than loading to a 170 or a 140

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it this way. You can get through any legal USPSA stage with a single 170 and a single 140. I greatly prefer loading to a 140 than a 170 so naturally I choose those for the mags on my belt. Choose whether you prefer loading to 126s, 140s, 155s, or 170s, and use those on your belt.

Now, as far as being the best prepared for any stage, that's a little different. Some classifiers and such have 2 mandatory reloads, and I always have one more magazine on my belt than I ever plan to use. So I go to the line with 3 on my belt and 1 in the gun for both open and limited. That also maintains the one spare magazine for unloaded starts off your belt.

These days I carry with me 4 140s and 2 170s, with my set of backup mags (3 140s) in the car. That is totally a peace of mind thing though, it is completely unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, js1130146 said:

That's my concern as well. I can't think of a situation that loading to a 155 would be significantly better than loading to a 170 or a 140

Everytime I say buy the 155 I hear mental thoughts of why would I.  MBX needs a rental program, haha.  7 day rental, to try it out and see if it's worth converting. 

I could see if you don't have any mags then buying 155s and 170 could make sense.  But when you shoot other divisions just as often then keeping with the 140s makes it easiest.  

I dont know, I just don't know. 

Well at this point I've been running off 1 170 and 2 140s but I would like to add at least one more mag. My gut tells me to get another 170 and call it a day. But I'm half tempted to give a 155 a try to see if it might add any extra utility 

15 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

Well at this point I've been running off 1 170 and 2 140s but I would like to add at least one more mag. My gut tells me to get another 170 and call it a day. But I'm half tempted to give a 155 a try to see if it might add any extra utility 

I'm with ya, I want one more mag as a back up.  Where are the dang mbx sponsored shooters who can talk to us about these life altering decisions. 

6 minutes ago, MrPostman said:

I have two 155s and they hold 26 rounds of 9mm, I could probably get a 27th in there. I think they are a better option shooting open verses the 140s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

How do they reload (during a stage) compared to 140 and 170?

I'm a Limited guy...I can load 140s pretty fast, due to tons of practice.  The 170s are not as consistent for me at the moment.  Wondering if the 155 is closer to the 140 or 170 handling wise.

I have two 155s and they hold 26 rounds of 9mm, I could probably get a 27th in there. I think they are a better option shooting open verses the 140s.

But.... does it make a difference? Do you shoot more A's faster? Having 26 rounds in a reload vs having 23/24, how often does that ever matter?

How do they reload (during a stage) compared to 140 and 170?

I'm a Limited guy...I can load 140s pretty fast, due to tons of practice.  The 170s are not as consistent for me at the moment.  Wondering if the 155 is closer to the 140 or 170 handling wise.

The 155s are closer to the 140s as far as stage reloads go for me at least, gives me a little bit more to grab but not too much like the 170.

27 minutes ago, MrPostman said:

The 155s are closer to the 140s as far as stage reloads go for me at least, gives me a little bit more to grab but not too much like the 170.

That's kind of what I was hoping for... a bit more capacity than 140 in an easier to handle package.

30 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Having 26 rounds in a reload vs having 23/24, how often does that ever matter?

Probably doesn't matter 95% of the time, but the flexibility to load a few more rounds in the gun, short of loading a big stick, sounds like a nice option

But.... does it make a difference? Do you shoot more A's faster? Having 26 rounds in a reload vs having 23/24, how often does that ever matter?

Sometimes having a few extra rounds allows you to finish a stage without an extra reload, or maybe throw an extra round if you think you have a miss or bad hit on a target.

Probably doesn't matter 95% of the time, but the flexibility to load a few more rounds in the gun, short of loading a big stick, sounds like a nice option

The times that I am reloading to a big stick are almost always situations with really long runs. So how fast you can reload to the big stick doesn't actually matter.

It's your money, so I'm not going to tell you to not buy one. But personally I don't think they have much purpose.

5 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

The times that I am reloading to a big stick are almost always situations with really long runs. So how fast you can reload to the big stick doesn't actually matter.

It's your money, so I'm not going to tell you to not buy one. But personally I don't think they have much purpose.

There's always Brian Enos forums classifieds...:D

Sometimes having a few extra rounds allows you to finish a stage without an extra reload, or maybe throw an extra round if you think you have a miss or bad hit on a target.

In what possible world are you planning a reload so that you only have like two extra rounds? You have 30 in the gun at the start, you can reload anywhere you would like to prevent that.

Unless it's a 32 round all steel field course, in which case I'm probably just going to be reloading from big stick to another big stick. To each their own though I guess

There's always Brian Enos forums classifieds...[emoji3]

I've never really understood that mentality, buy something that will instantly depreciate in value, and then if you don't like it sell it for a loss?

You buy it for 150 bucks plus the shipping, try it a couple times, then sell it for 120 and you cover the shipping?

5 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I've found it to be super important.  The sooner the reload is done the more space I have to concentrate on running hard.  I used to think I could run full speed and get a reload done, but I've proven time and again if I'm reloading AND running I'm doing neither very fast.  So the longer my reload takes the more time it'll take me point to point.

4 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I've never really understood that mentality, buy something that will instantly depreciate in value, and then if you don't like it sell it for a loss?

You buy it for 150 bucks plus the shipping, try it a couple times, then sell it for 120 and you cover the shipping?

I think the fact that I already thought it was an interesting option will lead to keeping it and telling other shooters that it is a great option. 

I'd really love one to try out. At least for a dryfire session just to get a feel for it. But honestly at this point, another 170 still seems more appealing to me because I have no backup. If I manage to find the funds for a 170 AND a 5th mag It will probably be a 155.

To each their own though I guess

Yep, what works for me may not work for you. I basically sold my STI mags and bought 3 mbx with the money I got from the STIs. So I got one 170 and two 155s since they can be used as a big stick as well. In my case it seemed to be the better option since they didn't cost that much more than the 140s and I wasn't interested in having three 170s since there are quite a few classifiers that require a mandatory reload. I find I can reload quicker with the 155 over the 170.

5 minutes ago, MrPostman said:

Yep, what works for me may not work for you. I basically sold my STI mags and bought 3 mbx with the money I got from the STIs. So I got one 170 and two 155s since they can be used as a big stick as well. In my case it seemed to be the better option since they didn't cost that much more than the 140s and I wasn't interested in having three 170s since there are quite a few classifiers that require a mandatory reload. I find I can reload quicker with the 155 over the 170.

Most people are more clumsy with the 170s. You, me, that guy walking down the street. Everyone except Robot. Maybe if you have huge hands then sure the 155s might be quicker to load with than the 140s, but I would need to see evidence of that to believe it. And your comment of "they can be used as a big stick as well"? What does that even mean? For all those times you want to start a stage with a big stick but are worried that the extra weight of 3 more 115s in the magazine is gonna slow down your draw? The biggest benefit I see from them is just not having a big stick at all and never ever having to worry about it getting called too long at the chrono station. 

If you are happy with them, good, I'm glad. MBX makes great magazines, I am sure they 155s are amazing as well. If someone is starting from scratch (no magazines) then sure maybe then they make sense in lieu of 140s. But adding them to your magazine quiver to fill some supposed special niche? Hard pass.