Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Chrono Results & Questions...

Just bought a CE Pro Chrono Digital and was able to use it for the first time today. Had to use it indoors as the closest outdoor rage is 1.5 hours away... Also had to use extra lighting as I didn't have the optional lighting kits for it and had to fiddle with it until it had enough light to function. I didn't get any errors so I have to assume all went fairly well..? 

Shot four strings of 9 shots.

Average ES = 40.25

Average SD = 13.75

Average fps = 788.5

I need 76.5 fps to get to obtain 865 fps to a minimum PF of 125 (for 9mm)

I am using 145 grain rn Acme hi tek coated bullets

2.8 gr titegroup

1.155 oal. 

My question is --- How do I calculate how many grains more charge required to obtain at least minimum PF? 

Thanks in advance form IGG!

You're at 114 PF right now. So...

Load 20 rounds at 3.0gr

Another 20rnd batch at 3.2gr

A third set of 20 at 3.4gr

... and go back and clock them. I expect 3.0 to possibly make power factor or be a pinch below it. 3.2 will hopefully hit what you need.

(Follow my advice as long as 3.4grains isn't over the book max. Pretty sure it isn't. But don't go over published loads just because some jerk on the web told you to.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

16 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You're at 114 PF right now. So...

Load 20 rounds at 3.0gr

Another 20rnd batch at 3.2gr

A third set of 20 at 3.4gr

... and go back and clock them. I expect 3.0 to possibly make power factor or be a pinch below it. 3.2 will hopefully hit what you need.

(Follow my advice as long as 3.4grains isn't over the book max. Pretty sure it isn't. But don't go over published loads just because some jerk on the web told you to.)

Thx Memphis - book shows 2.8 lead & 3.6 plated...

10 minutes ago, Brooke said:

I bet you end up at 3.3 to get about 130pf. The advice above is a sound way to figure that out.

Is there an advantage being at 130 vs 125 PF?

3 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

You have to leave a cushion. If you are loading for USPSA PF and don't make 125 at chrono, you shoot for no score.

And as we discussed in the previous threads, slightly hotter ammo is pretty much always more accurate with heavy bullets like those. That's the main advantage. (I'm amazed how many people can tell you exactly what PF their reloads run, but haven't tested it for group size at 25 yds)

Other advantages? It cycles the gun  harder & more consistently so you don't run into feeding issues shooting one handed... and it taps steel a bit harder.

You cannot feel the difference between 125.001 power factor and 132 or so when a timer is running. It won't affect your score.

Novice reloaders always think loading to just over PF is the best thing since sliced bread. I did. I was doing it for a solid year.

Go to your range and ask the local Ms and GMs what the load their minor ammo at. I doubt you'll find a single one who is at less than 130PF

So let us all tell it to you again:

LOAD TO AT LEAST 130 PF

Edited by MemphisMechanic

29 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Then you should be fine loading up to 3.4 behind a bullet of that weight.

Im expecting you to hit 130PF with 3.2 or so grains of powder. Likely no more than 3.3gr.

But I like having those data points for the whole ladder from 115-135 or so, so I can extrapolate from it about how much of a charge I'd need to load for a specific velocity later on.

6 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Then you should be fine loading up to 3.4 behind a bullet of that weight.

Im expecting you to hit 130PF with 3.2 or so grains of powder. Likely no more than 3.3gr.

But I like having those data points for the whole ladder from 115-135 or so, so I can extrapolate from it about how much of a charge I'd need to load for a specific velocity later on.

Agreed & will do. Most likely won't be able to get back to the range till early next week due to the long holiday weekend. I have to get there before it gets busy because they don't want anyone else in the bay (it's actually the LE bay) with me in case I have to go down range. Really great people there!

Also, what am I able to learn and use now from knowing the ES & SD numbers?

Thx again!

20 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

And as we discussed in the previous threads, slightly hotter ammo is pretty much always more accurate with heavy bullets like those. That's the main advantage. (I'm amazed how many people can tell you exactly what PF their reloads run, but haven't tested it for group size at 25 yds)

Other advantages? It cycles the gun  harder & more consistently so you don't run into feeding issues shooting one handed... and it taps steel a bit harder.

You cannot feel the difference between 125.001 power factor and 132 or so when a timer is running. It won't affect your score.

Novice reloaders always think loading to just over PF is the best thing since sliced bread. I did. I was doing it for a solid year.

Go to your range and ask the local Ms and GMs what the load their minor ammo at. I doubt you'll find a single one who is at less than 130PF

So let us all tell it to you again:

LOAD TO AT LEAST 130 PF

Thx - got it - 130+ --- done.

1 hour ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Dillon 650

not sure how easy with a 650 but if you can clamp it down just take it to the range and then you can bump up a half flat on the powder bolt until you get where you want.

than leave it get your weight at home for reference.

550's work great for this.

GLOCKED,

See this posting which will give you a simple way to know you will always meet PF.  

Bottom line is you should always use the STD to calculate the average velocity needed to make PF.  I recommend adding a minimum of twice your measured STD to the average velocity required to meet PF for your bullet weight.  There are two reasons why you DON'T want to just add a few power factor points.  First is using just the average velocity measurement of your chronograph can introduce significant error as you don't know how accurate your chrono is (see this article http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ChronographChapter.pdf ).  Whereas the difference in STD between chronographs is very small because it is a variance.  Secondly, if your reloading process changes, it can cause you to fail PF. If you don't use your STD, you would never know (see example in the EB post given in the link above).

Shoot with any questions!  

Edited by jwhittin

GLOCKED,

In your case, you need a minimum of 850 fps to meet PF.  Your STD is 14 fps so 850+28=878 fps (say 880 fps) which is now your desired load velocity.  As a general rule, using 2*STD gives you a 90% confidence level you will meet an official PF test using only your first 3 rounds.  If there are additional unknowns then add 2.5 or even 3*STD to ensure you meet PF.  

16 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

13-14 SD isn't stellar nor horrible. Pretty typical for a new progressive user with Titegroup

Regarding the 650, perhaps I just need to keep loading more to learn more (unless you have suggestions)  however I can change powder if that would help?

16 hours ago, Powder Finger said:

not sure how easy with a 650 but if you can clamp it down just take it to the range and then you can bump up a half flat on the powder bolt until you get where you want.

than leave it get your weight at home for reference.

550's work great for this.

Interesting concept, not sure if I would be comfortable with that, however what a great idea!

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Is any powder slipping out of the cases when you index to the next station?

Is your powder measure kept at least half full?

No powder spilling out when indexing, I installed that aftermarket bearing which stopped that.

Yes I keep the hopper topped off and well over half full.

Thx!

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You can obsess over this...

Or go shoot groups with your ammo. If it's accurate at 20-25yds and makes power factor?

Then whittling down your SD with hours spent in the reloading room is going to make your OCD feel better. But it won't make you shoot any better.

Me obsess, surely you jest!

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

On 11/22/2016 at 3:37 PM, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Absolutely. Each round, each environment, and each test chronograph vary a little. In order to comfortably pass a chrono at a major match you must be a little above the minimum 125. Most people shoot for 132 to 135 pf on their chronos to have a safety factor. It is imperative to do this. You will fail if you don't.

Edited by Brooke