Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA to get better at USPSA

RayUSPSA81

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, Steel, and SASS.  From my perspective if you want to get better at USPSA style shooting you can practice more on your own (both live and dry fire), shoot more USPSA matches, or try shooting a Steel match.  Lots of people think Steel is boring but they're also the ones who likely need to work on draw, transitions, sight picture, and accuracy. 

Edited by Alaskan454

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, tanks said:

I just shot my first IDPA match. The maximum round count per stage was 12 rounds (8 stages). There was NO movement, everything was stand and shoot. I don't see how IDPA could help with USPSA.

Depends on club. Shot match yesterday 6 mostly 18 round stages. Plenty of opportunities to reload while moving with new rules. Fault lines similar. Take away cover garment and scoring lot closer then used to be. "USPSA lite" 

11 minutes ago, tanks said:

I just shot my first IDPA match. The maximum round count per stage was 12 rounds (8 stages). There was NO movement, everything was stand and shoot. I don't see how IDPA could help with USPSA.

Depends on club. Shot match yesterday 6 mostly 18 round stages. Plenty of opportunities to reload while moving with new rules. Fault lines similar. Take away cover garment and scoring lot closer then used to be. "USPSA lite" 

• 2 years later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, valerko said:

I like IDPA because usually matches are more challenging as far as swingers , movers , different shooting position. 

You must be going to the worst USPSA matches in the country then.  I've shot both at several clubs and my experience has been the exact opposite in every aspect you mention.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:40 PM, Jim Watson said:

I see a lot of USPSA shooters at IDPA for trigger time.  They must see some benefit in it.  Maybe just observations about how we are doing everything wrong. 

Most likely bored and chose to shoot IDPA rather than mowing the lawn

12 hours ago, elguapo said:

You must be going to the worst USPSA matches in the country then.  I've shot both at several clubs and my experience has been the exact opposite in every aspect you mention.

you welcome to check videos on my YT channel. New England Regional , New Hampshire LFOD ,Saratoga mach in NY all top any Area matches I've bee too . Waaay more props , lasers , movers...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 9:26 PM, valerko said:

you welcome to check videos on my YT channel. New England Regional , New Hampshire LFOD ,Saratoga mach in NY all top any Area matches I've bee too . Waaay more props , lasers , movers...

This gets at the difference between IDPA and USPSA, and I think it answers the question why shooting one discipline doesn't do much for the other.  Good sanctioned IDPA matches have a lot of challenging shots such as swingers, tight no shoots/hard cover, tough positions...etc.  But the scoring system is such that the there is no incentive to tear these kind of stages down and risk 5 and 10 second penalties.  It's more of a "if you can survive this stage by shooting it clean at any cost you still have a chance to win the match".  And this strategy/mentality is what keeps a lot of a "master" class IDPA shooters in the C/D range at USPSA.  That's not a knock on either discipline, I enjoy them both.  Running through a ton of IDPA matches will translate into your USPSA shooting, but not necessarily in the way you hope.

15 hours ago, ajblack said:

This gets at the difference between IDPA and USPSA, and I think it answers the question why shooting one discipline doesn't do much for the other.  Good sanctioned IDPA matches have a lot of challenging shots such as swingers, tight no shoots/hard cover, tough positions...etc.  But the scoring system is such that the there is no incentive to tear these kind of stages down and risk 5 and 10 second penalties.  It's more of a "if you can survive this stage by shooting it clean at any cost you still have a chance to win the match".  And this strategy/mentality is what keeps a lot of a "master" class IDPA shooters in the C/D range at USPSA.  That's not a knock on either discipline, I enjoy them both.  Running through a ton of IDPA matches will translate into your USPSA shooting, but not necessarily in the way you hope.

well I'm only an Expert in Idpa but B in USPSA in production. Your math might be off . Bottom line you need to shoot fast and accurate in both . you're no winning anything hosing down the stage with Cs and Ds 

10 hours ago, valerko said:

well I'm only an Expert in Idpa but B in USPSA in production. Your math might be off . Bottom line you need to shoot fast and accurate in both . you're no winning anything hosing down the stage with Cs and Ds 

However, if you're really fast in USPSA, you can hose some Cs & Ds and still do fairly well...not so in IDPA. From my experiences in both sports, USPSA values speed with "acceptable accuracy" and IDPA values accuracy with "acceptable speed." 

This is what I have seen.  I don't get around many of the top shooters who can shoot fast A-As, most of the local practitioners are happy with fast A-Cs. 

I am in the OFS category and shoot mostly slow A-As and -0s. 

As someone who trys to do both at a decent level on the regional level, idpa does nothing unique to it to help you with uspsa. Nothing.

On the other hand, uspsa can help you be better at idpa. The thing is you have to recognize their differences and approach them as two entirely different spots.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 12:24 PM, rowdyb said:

As someone who trys to do both at a decent level on the regional level, idpa does nothing unique to it to help you with uspsa. Nothing.

On the other hand, uspsa can help you be better at idpa. The thing is you have to recognize their differences and approach them as two entirely different spots.

Yes^

On 4/2/2019 at 9:07 PM, valerko said:

well, way I'm looking at it , They are both fun :):)

I agree they are both fun. I shoot a weekly IDPA league for fun, but it's slow and accurate pace does nothing to help me be a better USPSA shooter. 

If you want to get better at USPSA than practice USPSA! You can get more trigger time in a one hour practice session than you will attending a season worth of weekly matches.

I just started in USPSA this spring and am a Production C class shooter finishing mid pack in fields of about 50 - 60 shooters in local USPSA matches.

I went to an IDPA match last weekend and finished 10/40 overall and 6/26 in SSP.  I would think that indicates that playing IDPA to get better at USPSA is a dumb idea.

I started with IDPA. I much prefer USPSA after shooting both and shoot USPSA primarily. There are more of the higher level shooters in USPSA. But, I've never seen Master IDPA shooters who are "stuck" in C/D classification in USPSA. I'm EX in IDPA and B in USPSA.

Nothing to add that hasn’t been said here. 

I pretty much abandoned IDPA after the rule change. 

It’s now the worst of both worlds. Not tactical and not fun. 

A glacial 2 second draw to a down zero is better than a 1.01 to the attacker’s throat? Huh? 

12 hours ago, Paulie said:

A glacial 2 second draw to a down zero is better than a 1.01 to the attacker’s throat? Huh? 

1 second per point down has done more to change how stages err I mean scenarios are shot than anything else. I hate it.

Want to encourage accuracy and "real world accountability" (Joyce's words, not mine) then they should have upped the penalty for a miss and a non-threat to 10 seconds and left it 0.5 second per point down. Increasing the shooters score for hits on target is a worse idea than increasing the penalty for a true mistake.

Edited by rowdyb

I started in IDPA and went to USPSA like a lot of others, USPSA definitely helped me with IDPA. I think a lot of the skills cross over, as long as your mentally able to switch then you can get benefit from both.

I shot USPSA for about 8 years before I shot my first IDPA match.  I like IDPA purely from a lazy standpoint.  You can go shoot, have a good time and really don't have to put much thought into it.  As they say...I Don't Practice Anymore = IDPA.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

1 second per point down has done more to change how stages err I mean scenarios are shot than anything else. I hate it.

Want to encourage accuracy and "real world accountability" (Joyce's words, not mine) then they should have upped the penalty for a miss and a non-threat to 10 seconds and left it 0.5 second per point down. Increasing the shooters score for hits on target is a worse idea than increasing the penalty for a true mistake.

Agree 100%. 

7 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Just goes to show that neither Joyce Wilson nor anyone running that shitshow have a clue about real world accountability.

It's all about "if USPSA goes right, we go left"