Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA to get better at USPSA

RayUSPSA81

8 hours ago, jrswanson1 said:

Not all of us have access to a range where we can practice with multiple targets and shooting from movement. 

And not everyone has time, money, etc to practice as much as they should...but that doesn't change what you need to do to get better.

I've heard enough really good shooters say that matches are where you track improvement and practice is were you actually improve, that I have no reason to doubt them.

Edited by LeviSS

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As most shooters, I started out shooting IDPA. I got to M class and started winning my local IDPA matches. I thought I was good shooter that was capable of making fast accurate shots. I then went to my first USPSA match and realized there were shooters that were able to make the same shots much faster than I was. I also realized that the silly rules I had engrained in me to follow at IDPA were slowing me down at USPSA.

My 2 cents to you would be to stick with USPSA and simply focus on your accuracy. Try and shoot all As and close Cs at your match and get all the points you can if better accuracy is what you are looking for. Of course, dry fire and live fire are going to go a long way for improving your accuracy. Simply shooting matches alone, USPSA or IDPA, I don't think you will see huge accuracy gains.

3 hours ago, LeviSS said:

And not everyone has time, money, etc to practice as much as they should...but that doesn't change what you need to do to get better.

I've heard enough really good shooters say that matches are where you track improvement and practice is were you actually improve, that I have no reason to doubt them.

Matches are NOT practice. You can try things in local matches, but in the trying of them it is about testing the execution of it. It is still in the "doing".

If you're shooting a match how you shoot in practice you're doing it wrong. Just like you'll learn there is a difference between shooting a stage and shooting a whole match.

On 11/22/2016 at 10:19 AM, RayUSPSA81 said:

I am thinking about shooting IDPA to get more accurate. My goal is to become a better shooter and more competitive in USPSA. I hope the two will bring together my speed an accuracy. Also looking for IDPA in the Kansas City area. Thoughts and suggestions please.

If you want to get better at USPSA, spend the time you would be attending the IDPA match dry-firing instead.

On 11/22/2016 at 7:19 AM, RayUSPSA81 said:

I am thinking about shooting IDPA to get more accurate. My goal is to become a better shooter and more competitive in USPSA. I hope the two will bring together my speed an accuracy. Also looking for IDPA in the Kansas City area. Thoughts and suggestions please.

Nothing stops you to take that extra tenth of a second per shot to go for all As in USPSA while still moving and transitioning between targets efficiently so you shoot SOONER. Shooting IDPA will not make you more accurate, practicing will.

There are IDPA matches the last Sat. of every month at the Bullet Hole indoor range. There are also USPSA every Friday night there. There are USPSA matches at Mill Creek Rifle Club outdoors as well. And Steel Challenge matches there too. Best of Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I do enjoy both competitions but have found that keeping the rules separated is getting more difficult the more I shoot uspsa.  Muscle memory seems to take over.  Just to mix it up I began shooting IDPA with a revolver so the manual of arms is totally different.  Most local IDPA matches I attend are >100 Rds so it's fun to reload without getting burnt out on speed loaders, Plus It's fun to beat the bottom feeder guys.

21 minutes ago, Peterock said:

Anyone have any insight as to how you successfully follow rules in both games without muscle memory taking over?

If you shoot both regularly and stay on top of it you shouldn't have any trouble. Proper visualization goes a long way too.

I shot a IDPA state match a few months back, 1st sanctioned match in years. I shoot 4-5 club matches a year. Didn't get a PE, no "muscle memory" problems even though I practice everyday with USPSA gear. I had the most trouble getting used the the vest, and the borrowed gun I was using.

Edited by Racinready300ex

My main issue seems to be hesitation around reloads, pausing before I dump a mag with rounds in USPSA vs either retaining mag or going to slide lock in IDPA.  I believe I read once that Bob Vogel used more reload with retention in IDPA then slide lock.  Maybe this is the key to faster reloads in both disciplines?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 11:48 AM, Peterock said:

Anyone have any insight as to how you successfully follow rules in both games without muscle memory taking over?

In USPSA you can "airgun" the course, of course most USPSA cof's are more complicated than IDPA.

In IDPA it is "verbotten" to "airgun", so if I can get past that little issue I expect to have shorted out my pre-cof routine and make me think more?!

In all seriousness I'm trying to look at an IDPA match to get comfortable with carry gear under pressure, see how it works etc..., then trying to focus on having no points down, good luck there to me, under pressure.  Since the IDPA COF's are shorter and usually less complicated it shouldn't be a huge issue.  

Biggest concern is NOT airgunning and NOT speed reloading though!!! Those are the muscle memory issues to me.

On 12/21/2016 at 1:11 PM, Peterock said:

My main issue seems to be hesitation around reloads, pausing before I dump a mag with rounds in USPSA vs either retaining mag or going to slide lock in IDPA.  I believe I read once that Bob Vogel used more reload with retention in IDPA then slide lock.  Maybe this is the key to faster reloads in both disciplines?

In my experience a reload with retention is quite a bit slower than a slide lock reload.

LOL! I just like the trigger time, and its still mentally challenging even though the courses of fire are simpler. Dealing with all the extra rules keeps me on my toes. I stopped counting the number of times Ive had to pick up a mag off the ground that still had ammo in it!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, M1911 said:

In my experience a reload with retention is quite a bit slower than a slide lock reload.

I've found if you put the mag in your waistline/belt opposed to back in the mag pouch or a vest pocket that it can quite fast with practice. Also no time spent with the slide release/slingshot and you can shoot immediately.

I often shoot an IDPA match on the weekend where there is no local USPSA match.  You still need to plan your reloads, the plan will just be different.  Now, with fault lines in IDPA, it is even more similar.  Shoot fast and accurately while moving efficiently.  Going from Production USPSA to SSP IDPA is not, and should not be, a real problem.  

On 1/20/2017 at 11:08 PM, Peterock said:

I've found if you put the mag in your waistline/belt opposed to back in the mag pouch or a vest pocket that it can quite fast with practice. Also no time spent with the slide release/slingshot and you can shoot immediately.

I tried that, but it didn't work for me.  There was too much chance of fumbling in getting it in my waistband, or of having it fall out while moving. 

With IDPA's recent change to a full second per point down from the .5 second 2016 and before, it may be too slow a pace to have much utility for USPSA 'training'.  I've been shooting about 90% Down Zero in IDPA quickly enough to win lots of local matches.  With the new scoring it would make more sense to go for 95% Down Zero and slow down the shooting part of stages about 10% to guarantee that level of accuracy. 

I shot a USPSA match with my IDPA rig (Lim 10 minor) a couple of weeks ago.  For one stage I shot at USPSA pace and got a few more Cs. The other three stages I shot at my IDPA pace and accuracy level.  The club produced overall results across classes with all of the stages being won by an Open GM.  My stage scores were all within 1% of each other.  I take that as a sign that hit factor scoring does a good job of balancing speed and accuracy.

• 4 weeks later...

I like IDPA because usually matches are more challenging as far as swingers , movers , different shooting position. 

USPSA is faster game , but it's more about planing the way you plan  the stage and actual running and gunning. 

That being said , I hate 1 second rule , but then again maybe I'll get better at shooting fast and accurate. Didn't have a problem shooting fast and "semi-accurate "

On 11/22/2016 at 10:19 AM, RayUSPSA81 said:

Shoot Steel Challenge then.