Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA to get better at USPSA

RayUSPSA81

I am thinking about shooting IDPA to get more accurate. My goal is to become a better shooter and more competitive in USPSA. I hope the two will bring together my speed an accuracy. Also looking for IDPA in the Kansas City area. Thoughts and suggestions please.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get more accurate for USPSA, practice being more accurate.  I've shot both and I don't really see how shooting IDPA would make you a better USPSA shooter, more than just practicing what you'd like to improve.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question?

If you want to become a better USPSA shooter then shoot more USPSA matches. You want to surround yourself with shooters that are better than you. IDPA's new scoring rule will hold you back in USPSA if you focus on accuracy for IDPA. Our local area top IDPA shooters that occasionally shoot in USPSA matches tend to be middle-of-the-pack USPSA shooters. When some USPSA shooters occasionally shoot IDPA they are the top scorers by a good margin.

My reply should not be reflected as a pejorative comment about IDPA. USPA shooters tend to be more competitive, USPA classifiers are more varied and difficult, and IDPA stages typically have fewer round counts and shorter target distances, etc. You noted that you goal was to become more competitive (and better) at USPSA. Thus my reply.

1 hour ago, Steppenwolf said:

If you want to become a better USPSA shooter then shoot more USPSA matches. You want to surround yourself with shooters that are better than you. IDPA's new scoring rule will hold you back in USPSA if you focus on accuracy for IDPA. Our local area top IDPA shooters that occasionally shoot in USPSA matches tend to be middle-of-the-pack USPSA shooters. When some USPSA shooters occasionally shoot IDPA they are the top scorers by a good margin.

My reply should not be reflected as a pejorative comment about IDPA. USPA shooters tend to be more competitive, USPA classifiers are more varied and difficult, and IDPA stages typically have fewer round counts and shorter target distances, etc. You noted that you goal was to become more competitive (and better) at USPSA. Thus my reply.

+1. Shooting IDPA won't make you a better USPSA shooter. The mindset is different for both games. I know. I'm a IDPA Master in SSP and BUG and an Expert in all other divisions. But I'm only C class in USPSA (I can't run well as a Super Senior). The games don't meld. 

If you have the choice between no match one weekend, and an IDPA match -

you cannot lose anything by shooting the IDPA match.

It's "trigger time" ....  and match experience.    :rolleyes:

I, personally, could not manage to shoot both USPSA and IDPA - the rules

(esp reloading) were too confusing for me to go back and forth.    :ph34r:

To get better at USPSA, I'd try dry fire, live fire and USPSA matches,

if they were all available.    :bow:

if you want to get better at uspsa then i'd shoot more of the same game (uspsa) and not another game (idpa).  but, the goal of both games is shooting accurately fast so certainly if there isn't a uspsa event one day but there is an idpa event, then do the idpa event.  more time spent with your gun is better than less time.

I got better at IDPA by shooting USPSA. You can practice draw, reload, getting into and out of positions, it's not perfect but it helps. I don't think slowing down to learn to shoot more accurately will be of much help. Check out some of Rob Leatham's videos. 

45 minutes ago, RayUSPSA81 said:

So USPSA is superior to IDPA?

USPSA attracts more competitive-minded shooters. The stages have higher round counts, more variation (in design, distance, types of targets), and you have to understand stage planning (e.g. you have much more freedom of choice in how you shoot a stage). The IDPA classifier is "fixed" while USPSA classifiers are more numerous and varied. USPSA uses "hit factor" scoring. USPSA is "harder" (for aforementioned reasons) and the level of competition is higher.

If you want to improve and become more competitive in USPSA--you will have to practice (a lot), compete a lot, and learn to run stages better. I would not view IDPA as "inferior"--you want to get better at USPSA--so focus on it.

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Or you could go to the range and practice what you need to do to get better.  I think that would be better use of a free weekend.

4 hours ago, RayUSPSA81 said:

So USPSA is superior to IDPA?

For me, USPSA is much more enjoyable , not necessarily BETTER..

Neither is very realistic (thank God) - whenever do you think you might have to stand in one place,

unprotected, and shoot 6+ people?     I hope I never have to shoot any ONE person.

But, both will teach you a lot about Your weapon, and your skills to shoot quickly and accurately.    :) 

that's the exact opposite of what i've seen most people do in a quest to use one or the other for cross training.

most people shoot idpa first and realize they are kinda slow and then get into uspsa to learn how to speed up.

the combination of speed and accuracy can be learned in either if you do your focus of it properly in practice. the negative to idpa is the stop/start aspect of finding and using cover is then also what causes the "slows" in idpa.

It will effect your USPSA game. It will slow you down. Not much of an issue now as I think there will be fewer shooters competing in IDPA. At least that's the case here in AZ. I hear that the PHX club will be dropping affiliation with IDPA this upcoming year. 

On 11/22/2016 at 10:19 AM, RayUSPSA81 said:

I am thinking about shooting IDPA to get more accurate. My goal is to become a better shooter and more competitive in USPSA. I hope the two will bring together my speed an accuracy. Also looking for IDPA in the Kansas City area. Thoughts and suggestions please.

If accuracy is your goal, in your area, you need to check out Pioneer Gun Club.

http://www.pioneergunclub.org/

They run NRA Action Pistol ( Bianchi Cup) matches with a round count of 192, a much higher round count than the average IDPA match.  You'll get back to basics for trigger control, etc. with the fixed times & distances.  They are on the east side of KC.  That is a purely "accuracy" game and you can get back to the "hoser mode" after you fine-tune your accuracy goal.  Great bunch of guys with a few National & World level shooters being more than willing to help you out with where you want to go accuracy-wise.

Different rules:

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Action/act-book.pdf

Just basic safety as one would expect.  The CoFs are usually: Falling Plates, Barricade, Practical & Moving Target (Modified).  Any gun that you shoot in IDPA or USPSA will qualify in either Metallic Sight (single action) or Production.  You'll have a good time, I guarantee and the experience will enhance your other Action Pistol games!

Alan~^~

On 11/22/2016 at 9:26 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

It's "trigger time" ....  and match experience.    :rolleyes:

I, personally, could not manage to shoot both USPSA and IDPA - the rules

(esp reloading) were too confusing for me to go back and forth.    :ph34r:

To get better at USPSA, I'd try dry fire, live fire and USPSA matches,

if they were all available.    :bow:

I used to shoot USPSA 3 or 4 times a month.

My area recently had a FEW clubs close down (total disaster, but that is another story), so that put me down to 2 USPSA matches a month.

I have taken to shooting 1 IDPA match per month to make up some of the difference.

I don't think the rules are that hard.  In both sports, you are basically executing a stage plan.  The USPSA plan is often more complex (more intricate footwork and longer stages) and varied.  The IDPA plan is less complex and more driven by the rules than the shooter's choice.  In both sports, the failure to follow and properly execute your stage plan will cost you.  In both sports, you have to be both fast and accurate to compete at the highest levels.

Back when I was a B class USPSA shooter, moving between USPSA and IDPA was really hard.  Now that I am in USPSA Master class, it is no big deal.  I think this is because I am now much, much better at locking a good stage plan into memory and then executing it the way I planned it.  Both sports test the mental and practical aspects of shooting.

On 11/22/2016 at 6:36 PM, LeviSS said:

Or you could go to the range and practice what you need to do to get better.  I think that would be better use of a free weekend.

Not all of us have access to a range where we can practice with multiple targets and shooting from movement. 

most new uspspsic shooters shooting idpa will tend to shoot lower on the target past 10 yards, because the uspspsic target is a long rectangle turned 90 degrees as in 11 " tall and 6" wide for the A zone.. The idpa zero down is 8" in diameter. So if shooting a lot of idpa, and you are use to calling your shots, then switching to uspsic , your hits will still be in the center of the target when calling your shots..