Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heat vs Cold to remove rear sight??

MarMahDuke

I asked a question about the best TTP's to get a rear sight off a new SP-01 and got both "use a heat gun" and "stick it in the freezer" from the same group.  We were in the middle of a match, so i didn't push the issue. Anyone care to weigh in?  I'm also going to try a good penetrator/lubricant (suggestions??) and a big ass hammer.  Just thought it was funny to get the opposite answer to the same question.  Thanks gents!

11 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

big vice, using soft jaws but slide in very very firmly, big brass punch, big brass hammer. when that doesn't work i'll use the sight pusher to get it started a little and then go back to big, big, big

This. A little Kroil the night before won't hurt anything. Also, pull the extractor first.

Heat normally expands metal while cold contracts it.  If you heat, it should be the slide, and not the sight or sight and slide.  Don't damage the finish on the slide heating it.  Likewise, over heating the slide can change it hardness and improper cooling could cause warping.  

Really, like Jay870's approach...

In Europe cz use red loctite type glue on sights. Heat sight properly and they will come off easily. I have also notice that rear sight come off right to left and new sight go in left to right. Freezing new sight ja and heating slide might help but never really notice any difference. Shadow standard sight also have a small lock screw and that is also need some heat to open.

I use an Maryland Gun Works (MGW) sight tool and it's worked on everything but a TS slide. For that I had to put it in the freezer all night. I couldn't get heat to work. After purchasing that tool, I don't mess around with punches unless I have to.

For temperature work it's usually easier to try the smallest piece. Heat if some sort of adhesive (loctite, glue) needs to be softened or if it's a circle/hole/nut (which is almost everything that gets stuck). Cold for everything else, which includes dovetails and pins.

I have a can of Freon that I'll carefully use to spray a stuck part to get instant results. Have to be very careful with plastics, get them too cold and they'll shatter when struck.