Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder and primer storage life

Davecoff13

I am sure this has been covered many times before but, how long will powder and primers store for? Want to buy in bulk but don't want them to go bad before I can use them. How long can they be stored for , in original containers , heated garage in winter, sometimes a/c in summer. 

I am 72 years old, and have a good supply of powder from the 80's   :ph34r:

It still goes bang ....    :wub:

I've been told by someone who worked manufacturing primers that even if they

get WET, they're just fine as soon as they dry out (and I'm still shooting primers

that were caught in a flooded kitchen 3 years ago).

BUY BULK ...    :bow:

About 4 years ago I ran across some powder and primers I'd put in the attic back in 1985.  At that time most of that stuff was a year to five years old.

I got it out of the attic and used up all the primers (4,000 of them) and most of the powder (have 3 or 4 partial one lb. cans left).

The attic has got to be 115 F or hotter in the summer months and down to near freezing in the winter months.  Damp/humid, too.

Not a single misfire out of the primers and every can of powder I opened up was still good.

I don't get tore up about powder/primer storage these days.  I keep my stuff in an unheated garage shelf/cabinet where I do my reloading.

I also ran across several boxes of ammo I'd loaded back in the early 80's.  The rifle ammo was still very accurate and all of it, pistol or rifle went bang when I used it up (well, haven't used it all up yet.  I need to start shooting that stuff up more often but I don't shoot .45 acp much anymore.

Store powder in the original plastic container it comes in and, since powder is hygroscopic, make sure the waxed paper seal inside the lid is in place and screw it down tight. Good for decades.

For primer storage, I put fresh silicone on the o-ring of a steel .50cal ammo can, toss in the primers along with oxygen absorbing packets and desiccant, close it up and put a boxcar seal on it to make sure that I know it's un-opened and the water and oxygen absorbers are good. Primers (and ammo) stored like this will last until the earth is swallowed by the sun.

I recently found an unopened pound of Hercules branded Unique in my dad's basement purchased sometime in the early 90s. Threw it in the powder measure and loaded all of it into 9mm and it ran perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

On 11/21/2016 at 5:12 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I am 72 years old, and have a good supply of powder from the 80's   :ph34r:

It still goes bang ....    :wub:

I've been told by someone who worked manufacturing primers that even if they

get WET, they're just fine as soon as they dry out (and I'm still shooting primers

that were caught in a flooded kitchen 3 years ago).

BUY BULK ...    :bow:

primers are mixed wet, worked wet, and stored wet by the manufacturers. a little water wont hurt them, so long as you let them dry out.

Primer compound is mixed and worked wet. Finished primers are not stored wet.

Every single primer manufacturer and SAAMI will tell you that sporting ammunition primers stored in very humid or wet conditions will deteriorate.

The explosive is very stable and doesn't attract water but the cup and anvil are metal. Metal + water = bad.

• 3 weeks later...