Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Glock 34

Booboobear

All of them are Production legal, so you'll have to figure out which one best suits your needs.

If you plan on mounting an optic at some point, then the MOS is probably the best choice (unless you prefer to have the slide milled for your particular optic).  I prefer the texture of the Gen 4 Glocks, but I prefer the Gen 3 mag release (factory extended release).  Have you handled and/or shot both a Gen 3 and 4?

Edited by TennJeep1618

i prefer the stippling and the beavertails available on the gen 4's.  see if you can find a range  that rents both and give them a shot.  or at least a shop or gunshow where you can compare without shooting them.

24 minutes ago, davsco said:

i prefer the stippling and the beavertails available on the gen 4's.  see if you can find a range  that rents both and give them a shot.  or at least a shop or gunshow where you can compare without shooting them.

+1 - I have the Gen 4 and it's been a great gun to get started with.

I would suggest the MOS. If you like the grip texturing, to me it seems to offer the most amount of options for your dollar. It already has a slightly smaller grip, for some people this helps with ergonomics. If it's too small, you can add the medium back-strap to have the same grip size as a standard Gen3. Or you can up it to the larger size grip extension. You also have the opportunity to add the extended beaver-tails.

If you plan on running Production now and Carry optics later, it will already be set up and ready to go. You know the cuts are correct and the gun comes stock with 4 mounting plates for various optics. If you are a GSSF member or LEO to be able to get a Blue Label GLOCK, then that will save you some extra cash towards an optic or more mags.

I prefer the Gen 4 mag release over the Gen 3 personally. As for the dual recoil spring set up. In my Gen4 19s and 17s, I don't notice a difference in "reduced recoil." I personally do not on a Gen 4 34..........yet.

Like others have said, go out and either rent or borrow both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 models and shoot them side by side and see which works best for you. If you rent the Gen 4, make sure they give you the back straps to try out as well.

Hello: If you ever think you may want to shoot Carry Optics get the MOS. I have both the gen 3 and a gen 4 MOS. For a carry gun I would get the gen 3. For a comp gun I would stick with the gen 4. The Gen 4 MOS gives you more options for not much more money. I am going to convert my 34 MOS now to Carry Optics and play with it for a while. Thanks, Eric

15 hours ago, mksm2016 said:

Would it be legal to use a Gen 4 mag release on a Gen 3 frame? I know you have to modify it a little bit to fit in correctly.

You could do that, but you would have to go to Limited or Limited 10. Since you would be modifying the grip, that would make it illegal for production class.

Appendix D4 21.4

If you look at Appendix D4 21.6 it states that you can use Extended OEM products, but if you modify the grip itself then you would be violating D4 21.4

Edit: this is using the latest version of the rule book that I have which was from February 2014.

Edited by DFIVE3

• 1 month later...

Unless you like the the grip texture of the Gen3 over the Gen4 or money is tight, go with the Gen4 MOS, gives you the most flexibility.  If for some reason you ever decide you want to try an optic and have the Gen3, it will cost you a lot more to get the slide milled than the price difference between the Gen4 and the Gen4 MOS.  Grip size, the Gen4 with the medium backstrap is the same as the Gen3. 

Plus, you mention trying trying to fit a Gen4 mag release to a Gen3?  Again, unless money is tight and you are getting a screaming deal on a Gen3 AND you have some skills to modify the frame, don't both jacking around with the Gen3.  If you screw up, it will cost you way more the the delta between the Gen3 and Gen4 for a new frame.  Plus, per the rules DFIVE3 posted, when a sharp RO catches the mods, if you get them to work, they will bump you to Limited 10 or Limited.

I have had many Gen3's and Gen4's, personally I prefer the smaller grip and mag release of the Gen4's.  Oh, and if you do end up shooting USPSA, you will probably add grip tape to whichever you get.

Edited by sitw

On 11/24/2016 at 10:57 AM, htomeheb said:

I prefer the grip texture on the gen4, personally, but the gen3's can be made right with some griptape. 

I think MOS is probably unnecessary 

I agree. I installed a set of Talon grips on my G34.3 and it's made a world of difference for me when shooting matches, especially during the Florida summers. 

13 hours ago, mjmagee67 said:

I just picked up the MOS that I can swing both ways if I want. Production or Carry Optics.

Yeah, like I said, unless money was an issue or you just love the grip texture of the Gen3 over the Gen4, the Gen4 MOS gives you more options.  And the grip texture issue is kind of moot since to me, event the Gen4 grip is too slippery in a match so I tape up.

• 2 weeks later...

The MOS might be best if you want to dabble with a RDS. Otherwise I would say a gen 4 now MOS. If you really want to get into it I prefer the milled slides as the RDS sits down lower and is much more comfortable for me to shoot and acquire sights.

• 3 weeks later...

Glock noob here.. but looking at trading for a G34 Gen 4 and I'm seeing the whole "smaller grip" mentioned.  In my looking at the Gen 3's and Gen 4's it *seems* as though the grip angles are a touch different.. with the Gen 4 being slightly more vertical. Is this more optical and a byproduct of it being "smaller"?  

FWIW I have XL-XXL hands and always assumed that I needed the large beavertail backstraps on Glocks. But after a couple years I finally tried shooting a Gen 4 without any add-on backstrap and found it was easier to grip and control. There is more to the grip than simply volume. 

• 3 weeks later...

I shot a gen 3 g34 in limited and then production. My only real issues with it had to do with my hands being too big...I got slide bit a lot, and seemed to manage to either ride the slide lock, preventing hold open, or Jack it up, causing the slide to lock back mid string. 

I then got a great deal on a gen4 mos...the large beavertail fixed most issues, and a g17 slide lock (should have done that sooner) fixed the rest. This gun fits me much better. And, since it had the mos option, I'm giving carry optics a try...and really like it. One benefit of mos over slide milling is the ability to try multiple red dots. Another is that I can switch back to production in a couple of minutes. 

TobyJ

Edited by TobyJ

• 2 months later...