Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up a XL-650

I have used a RCBS Rock Chucker for years, the bench was solid and worked great. I moved cross country and sold the reloading bench I had.  I purchased a XL-650 because reloading 9mm and .223 was too time consuming (for me). I first set it up on a 3/4" x 24" x 24" piece of  MDF clamped to a pair of saw horses. Just excited to see it work. Now I want to build a new bench for the Blue press with case feeder. 

I have a couple of questions for this thread. First is the bench top. If I glue / screw two pieces of 3/4" plywood together is that going to be solid enough. 

Second is the strong mount necessary since I can make the bench height "optimum" for me?

Third is the roller handle a good addition to the press?

I appreciate any feedback.

Larry

I have one sheet 3/4 plywood on mine and it works fine no flexing at all. Bench is mounted to wall and where press is mounted bolts go thru 2x4 boxing put in place under plywood when I determined where press would be located. 

I dont use a strong mount. My bench height was built to allow me to sit when reloading on the Dillon. I stand when reloading shotshell on the Ponsness. 

I highly suggest the Dillon aluminum roller handle as it is round. Their plastic handle is triangular and gave me a callous and it just never felt right. I also owned the Inline Fabrication ergo handle but it was just too smooth when seating primers and just did not give me the tactile feel of the Dillon aluminum roller. 

All suggestions are my preference and others will have different opinions

1 1/2" plywood should be good, I bought a cheap butcher block table off Craigslist and cut it up for my shelf which worked great, I also skipped the strong mount and experimented with different heights, finally settling with the primer push roughly even with my shoulder height.  I love my Inline Fabrication roller handle, as well as my Mr Bullet Feeder.  I mounted my press inside a locking cabinet to keep it secure from my kids:

IMG_20160319_060046330_HDR_zpskiesjsup.j

9 hours ago, Turn11orLarry said:

I have used a RCBS Rock Chucker for years, the bench was solid and worked great. I moved cross country and sold the reloading bench I had.  I purchased a XL-650 because reloading 9mm and .223 was too time consuming (for me). I first set it up on a 3/4" x 24" x 24" piece of  MDF clamped to a pair of saw horses. Just excited to see it work. Now I want to build a new bench for the Blue press with case feeder. 

I have a couple of questions for this thread. First is the bench top. If I glue / screw two pieces of 3/4" plywood together is that going to be solid enough. 

Second is the strong mount necessary since I can make the bench height "optimum" for me?

Larry

I also have 2 x 3/4" sheets of plywood glued and screwed together with a at 2x4 frame.  That is then screwed to the wall and concrete floor and it is very very solid.  The two sheet you suggest is sufficient but it depends on how you secure that top.  ;-)

If your top is the right height for you, no strong mount will be needed.

I have the roller handle and love it.   I would suggest adding the foam cover on it though.  As nice as the roller handle is, the foam cover makes it that much nicer. 

The strong mount may not be necessary, but it sure helps to keep the rest of your bench top at a reasonable height. My press is mounted with a strong mount to an old section of countertop with laminate on 3/4 base with a second layer of 3/4 banding at the front and back. I get no flex from the surface. Any movement is from the supporting structure, which I don't have anchored to a wall. For now I get along just using a lot of weight on the shelves below the press.

My next order of Dillon supplies will contain the roller handle. In batches of 100 or 200, the stock handle works fine. Beyond 200 and that solid ball starts to become a pain in the backside.

I'm going to second the recommendation for the Inline Fab ergo roller handle.  It puts the handle pretty far forward for primer seating, but it's much more comfortable on the downstroke.  I use PatMarlins ROCKDock system for mounting (for the ability to easily mount and remove different presses), since my bench is already at standing height.  

5 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

I haven't made this bench myself but I keep seeing it pop up when I am researching questions similar to yours http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

It looks really sturdy and the front edge, where the press would mount, looks to be reinforced.

I built my bench off the NRMA plans.  I didn't use the top cabinet as I have pegboard and shelving above my bench.  That thing is rock solid.  Mounted my 550 on it and was stable as anyone would need.  Bought a Strong Mount and that made things better for me from a height standpoint.  Replaced the 550 with a 650 on a Strong Mount with no regrets.  The bench is in my basement. I have the parts to anchor it to the foundation, but haven't yet because I really don't need to.  It doesn't move one bit when loading.  The bench itself is HEAVY.  Add brass and bullets to the shelf underneath, and that thing isn't moving at all. I'm considering building a second one to give myself a bit more room and to have a workbench/cleaning area for my firearms in addition to another reloading ready table.

I absolutely strongly recommend the strong mount. Before my 650, which I immediately installed on the strong mount, I had my 550 flush mounted on my bench.

Although it worked fine at first, I ended up having stability issues which caused cases being banged up.

I am now not only mounting my table on the strong mount, but am also planning on bracing the case feeder so that not even a minute oscillation turns into an upside down case.

Used 3/4 piece ply for my top with 2x4 frame to wall. Very strong and sturdy. I think 2 pieces of ply is kinda over kill but it works for people. Roller handle is a must. Also I would recommend some press upgrades for a smoother shell plate and powder spillage. Snowsooz on eBay his name is mark has very good products a very little cost. Teflon detent ball and reduced spring also the oil impregnated shell plate washer. 2 great products that work great together. Inline fab sky light kit is a must. 

I had run a 550 without a strong mount previously.  When I got a 650, my bench is very thick and with the pres mounted at the edge I was only able to get partial range of motion with the handle, so I was forced to go strong mount.  The strong mount is very nice BUT I really love the bullet tray.  The ergonomics of setting bullets is awesome with the bullet tray.  You basically don't take your right hand off the handle and set bullets with your left.

I got another 550 recently and I have a strong mount and bullet tray and empty case bin etc.  It's just the way to go.

If you don't try it, you might not miss it but I highly recommend it.

I appreciate all the responses I received on this topic, thank you. 

My RCBS bench was built sturdy then after use additions were added. I am using Toolhead, TH Stand and Powder Measure for each caliber as funds allow. More expensive and perhaps overkill. I have seen a lot of good suggestions and construction tips. 

Thank you

Larry

My dad and I used the legs off an old folding table. We built a new top to the length and width that I wanted, and added trim pieces all around. 

Here is a picture before I got my 650, but still gives you an idea of the concept. The top is 3/4 plywood with 1/2 inch nicer plywood on top.

IdN8SM9.jpg?1

Edited by anbrumm

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2016 at 11:02 PM, Turn11orLarry said:

Larry

I have a 3/4 inch bench top with Poplar frame, and legs. The back of the bench is lag screwed to the wall studs in my loading room. Very rigid. As a matter-of-fact, the more rigid your bench is, the better your reloading machines will perform.

I use the 6 inch strong mount for my 650XL and the 8 inch strong mount for my 550B. The bench top is 39 inches from the floor. This allow me to stand and use the machines without arching my back. Very comfortable.

A good rule of thumb for bench height is your belt buckle.  

On 11/20/2016 at 11:02 PM, Turn11orLarry said:

1.  Yes and no (this is similar to my current setup)  For most down-strokes, this is solid enough, but when you get that one case that's hard to resize it will flex down some.  I've also read that the little bit of flex can affect your powder drop, but mine seems pretty consistent TBH.  I'd recommend bracing under the press so that it can't flex down if this is what you stick with.

2.  Necessary?  No.  Might be nice, but if you can customize the bench height and brace it as needed, it's just fluff.

3.  Absolutely.  Can't imagine loading a thousand rounds in one sitting with the knob...I remember my dad getting blisters on his 650 before upgrading to the roller, so I grabbed it from the get-go when I got mine.