Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help needed with load development. LTD, .40 major, briley barrel

GringoBandito

Hello Everyone. I have been shooting USPSA for a little over a year and have been reloading for my STI edge and a bar-sto since I started. I have never had an issue developing loads that meet power factor and function in either gun...A few months ago, I took delivery of a custom 2011 with a briley barrel. This barrel has me stumped....The most recent load that I have worked up is 4.8gr of n320, loaded at 1.180, win primer, xtreme 180gr HP. This load comes in at 166PF and is showing signs of pressure. Flat primers, and primer flow...If the primers did not look they way they do, I would normally bump up the powder 1-2 tenths of a grain and call it a day..One of the guys at the range mentioned I may want to test magnum primers for more velocity..

Does anyone have a similar experience with briley barrels? They seem to be slower than STI and bar sto barrels..Should I try jacketed bullets or a different powder?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jacketed bullets will give you less velocity than the Xtremes.  The first thing I would try is another brand of plated.  I've found that Rainier plated bullets are more consistent and give higher velocities than yours.  They are also sized to .400".  I also like them better than Berry's bullets.

If that doesn't do it for you, try some of the poly coated bullets.  All of the Hi-Tek coated bullets are pretty much the same.  The biggest differences in velocity will be whether there is a lube groove or not.  I particularly like Precision Bullets.  In 40 I've found them to be exceptionally accurate and they don't stink when shot.  I've also used Acme, BBI and Bayou.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to go to a slower powder.

Before you do any of that, I'd try shooting a couple hundred jacketed bullets through the gun.  Just buy them factory and shoot them.  Briley barrels are broach cut and that leaves little burrs on the lands.  The finish in the grooves is not as smooth as it is with other rifling methods.  It takes time to smooth out.  After a couple/five hundred jacketed you should be fine, and you can help the process along by hand lapping the barrel.

If you still have a problem, slug your barrel and measure.  If the bore is on the small side your only options may be plated, swaged lead bullets sized to .400" and a slower powder.  You can buy special swaging slugs from Dardas Bullets.  If you send them back to him, he will also measure them for you..

11 hours ago, GringoBandito said:

This load comes in at 166PF and is showing signs of pressure. 

I'd check to see if your loads may be suffering from "bullet setback" - push

some bullets hard against your reloading bench, and see if they get shorter.

If they do, you'll significantly increase your pressure.    :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...