Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean sheet pick, "best" PCC

If you were free of all constraints, budget and otherwise, what PCC would you choose?

i have a JP GMR-13, that I recently got. I like a lot about it, but I am not keen on the mag release, and it seems like the upper could be lighter, to speed transitions. Of course I wished it would lock back on an empty magazine.  I don't know enough about other AR options, Palmetto and otherwise, to know how they stack up. 

I have heard that the MPX is softer shooting, as it is not blow back. Not sure about stock options, but I heard it can be a problem installing triggers, as there are plastic pieces in the MPX that interact with an after market trigger. This is second hand info.

i have been told that an HK is the softest shooting, due to its method of operation. Trigger work a challenge, and mag changes slower due to the button/paddle and tightish mag well? Are there extensions that work with the OEM 30 round magazines?

I have never seen an AUG with a 9mm conversion, although the short length would seem an advantage on field courses.

Suggestions/comments?

MPX SBR, trigger replacement is easy just like AR.. just make sure you bring another trigger as back ups?.

Trigger companies are trying to race to make a trigger for the MPX. THE gun is a little hard on triggers

So far I smoked a timney at about 1500-1600, the giessle s3g has about 5k on it now but heard rummers people are smoking them at 3k. Giessle will release a MPX only trigger here soon and Tommy thacker said the new 2 stage timney at trigger will work out of the MPX. If I can get ahold of a hyper fire 24c or 3g, that will be the next trigger I'm going to try and burn down.

Edited by DocMedic

Hello: I think the best PCC will be one that can be made up like you want. I do think a good trigger, optic choice and lightweight are the way to go. Working up a good load will help a lot as well. I like the idea of a side charge upper and a good mag funnel area. Mine will have a 16" barrel since I don't want to deal with a stamp etc. I am still gaining info on the buffer system and carrier. Not sure if I need it to lock back on the last round since if I run it dry on a stage I will loose a lot of time. Besides with 37 round mags it should not be a problem. Can you do something to fix the mag release? Thanks, Eric

I am very happy with my CZ Scorpion,dont like the safety too stiff and hard to manipulate so wanting to change it out to the AK style from HB industires but they are all back ordered.

I changed out the trigger with HB industries flat one including light springs not easy but can be done and makes a huge difference,also changed out charging handle.Carbine shoots like a dream and is very soft and reliable.

I probably will purchase a second one for back up

On 11/20/2016 at 4:59 PM, rowdyb said:

a hk operating system in a ar style chasis with a 10" barrel. slim, light, fast, good mag well.

An AR-pattern bolt and upper with the roller-lock delay system would be awesome.

AR lowers, AR barrels, but soft shooting with a nice light bolt... that would be awesome.

Anyone have a mod to build up the magazine release on the JP GMR-13? I find that if I keep my support hand on the fore end, pressing right, it makes the mag release easier, but that is obviously slower reaching for the fresh magazine. 

I have an SBRed MPX and in theory I think it's pretty hard to beat. The fact that Taran Tactical seems to have embraced it instead of building its own AR platform PCC should be a good indication that it will be very close to the top when it comes to competitiveness. Magazine cost is frequently mentioned as a negative about the platform but I have been seeing Gen 1 MPX mags for as low as $25 each. There are also multiple extension options to get you running a reliably 40 rounds which should be more than enough for USPSA and good enough for most 3 Gun stages. 

There are no plastic parts in the upper that cause issues with the trigger. The high bolt velocity is hard on certain style unprotected disconnectors. Timney says its new two stage triggers will hold up. I haven't seen any reports of Hiperfire triggers failing in the MPX and Hiperfire thinks that the added cam (or whatever they call it) that rests on the safety might function similar to the trigger bridge that SIG had installed with the stock trigger. Geissele has an MPX specific trigger in the works now and currently isn't recommending it's standard triggers for use in the MPX. A lot of triggers work for a time before breaking so it makes it a bit tough to track what works in the long run but so far the two-stage Timney or the Hiperfire seem like the best bet. 

Shooting the JP and MPX side by side, I like a number of things about the MPX. It shoots noticeably softer for me. The mag release is easier to use and the magwell seems more forgiving. I had some reliability issues in my first session with PMC 115 and 30 round magazines in the MPX that I am trying to sort out. Another competitor today, with a MPX, was also having stoppages. I have yet to have a stoppage with the JP, while shooting, although a few 33 OEM mags with the Taylor base pads have got bungled up while loading. 

After doing some experimenting a couple years back with 9mm and compensators, I just don't know if I could ever fully trust a 9mm gas gun.  There just isn't a whole lot of real estate between "not enough gas to do anything" and "this load recoils more than light stuff in a blowback gun never is going to start breaking stuff".  

I would love to have an MPX and find out though.    :D

Edited by dcloudy777

In terms of "clean sheet" I am looking forward to the Grand Power Stribog which should be coming to the US next year.

I agree that somebody needs to do a roller or other form of delayed blowback upper for thr AR platform. I don't care if the upper doesn't use standard parts- it would open a superior action type to AR ergos, trigger, etc. I think the availability of mags, lowers, etc would be a huge plus. Also, someone needs to make a lower with a big magwell that will sell individual lowers.

One thing I haven't seen discussed a whole lot is a DI 9mm AR. There are a couple of shops producing them and if anyone really wants to work a comp you have that option. I had a DI upper for a while- recoil is incredibly soft, but runs on slow powder handloads only. I got reliable bolt lock back on empty with a mid range book load of HS6. I think if USPSA were to allow 9mm Major in PCC that would be the dominant choice. The one I had had the barrel nut shaved to install the gas block- the port is that close to the chamber! At the time, I really wanted to get ready for the Red Oktober match and the bump and recoil of a blowback gun seemed beneficial as a trainer. If I were going with the take no prisoners approach that is what I would do. It is like Open for PCC. I am enjoying PCC, but my heart belongs to another division.

23 hours ago, alma said:

I have an SBRed MPX and in theory I think it's pretty hard to beat. The fact that Taran Tactical seems to have embraced it instead of building its own AR platform PCC should be a good indication that it will be very close to the top when it comes to competitiveness. Magazine cost is frequently mentioned as a negative about the platform but I have been seeing Gen 1 MPX mags for as low as $25 each. There are also multiple extension options to get you running a reliably 40 rounds which should be more than enough for USPSA and good enough for most 3 Gun stages. 

There are no plastic parts in the upper that cause issues with the trigger. The high bolt velocity is hard on certain style unprotected disconnectors. Timney says its new two stage triggers will hold up. I haven't seen any reports of Hiperfire triggers failing in the MPX and Hiperfire thinks that the added cam (or whatever they call it) that rests on the safety might function similar to the trigger bridge that SIG had installed with the stock trigger. Geissele has an MPX specific trigger in the works now and currently isn't recommending it's standard triggers for use in the MPX. A lot of triggers work for a time before breaking so it makes it a bit tough to track what works in the long run but so far the two-stage Timney or the Hiperfire seem like the best bet. 

Is this the Timney trigger that you are suggesting for the MPX, and if so, flat or curved, long or short?

timneytriggers.com/shop/AR-Targa-2-Stage-Short-Trigger-P77.aspx