Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Storage

Looking for ideas on ammo storage at a reasonable cost. It must be lockable but not necessarily fire resistant. I am not interested in file cabinets, old freezers/refrigerators, jobsite boxes nor cheap stationary supply cabinets. I would be storing shotshell by cases, ammo cans for rifle and pistol plus 50 round ammo boxes. Adjustable shelves are a plus but not a requirement as long as the fixed shelves are high enough for ammo cans. 

I currently use a gun safe but it is full and it really is not designed for optimum storage of ammo. I need more space.

Thanks 

How about a flammable (liquids) storage cabinet?

A quick google search  puts them at around $500.

You could always try looking for upright cabinets (with shelves) made by Stanley/Vidmar.  They make nice looking stuff.

Then there are the upright jobsite boxes (aka gang boxes) made by Knaack:

Knaack-Model-109-JOBMASTER-Cabinet-500x5

Not to be confused with the steamer trunk style gang boxes they are known for.

But to be honest, if you have a separate room you reload in, versus new prices for quality metal storage cabinets, the cheaper option might be to  just go with a solid core door and deabolt for your reloading room.

There are ways of making GI surplus ammo cans lockable too.  

I SO want this, but a more miniature version so it doesn't cost more than the STI Trojan that I want lol.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

File cabinets are too small and would require too much space. The same can be said for old freezers and refrigerators. Stationery cabinets just can't do the shelf weight without major retrofitting. 

A flammable cabinet will need more research to see if it will work. 

I was not looking to have to bend over to load and unload a "steamer style" job box. 

The Knaack has merit but at $1200 I did say reasonable. 

The Fastenal cabinet is similar to others I have seen but at $1400 it fails the reasonable test. 

Maybe a local sheetmetal shop can build me something similar for less. I will have to inquire. 

I guess reasonable is under $700

I use one of the flammable liquid storage cabinets . . . it is perfect! However, I don't think I would buy one new . . . too damn expensive. 

Many years ago, I was working at a site that was throwing one out. My cost was nada. Lucky me!

Well as of now the flammables cabinet is the best bang for the buck. They run $500-700 depending on the model. The shelves are rated around 350lbs. Need to look at surplus equipment supply store for used. 

I will also check into local sheetmetal companies making me a steel cabinet

The flammable liquid cabinet should be fine for storing loaded ammo in, but I wouldn't store powder in there. If a fire happens, it will act like a bomb. Powder should be stored in something that will burn, so that when the powder does go off, there is no place to build up pressure.

On 11/21/2016 at 10:40 PM, weldon20 said:

I will also check into local sheetmetal companies making me a steel cabinet

I can't wait to hear the results of this search.  Engineering alone will be more than what you can find commercially available, imo.

Full disclosure, I have owned a small precision sheet metal shop for 35 years.

Edited by amada8