Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI versus S&B primers - soft loads

RickT

I've loaded tens of thousands of 3.6gr N320 behind Acme 115gr bullets using CCI primers.  I bought some S&B primers recently due to availability at an OK price.  They run through my LNL AP press just fine, but my wife's 9mm 1911 isn't cycling as well with the S&B primers - weak ejection and some rounds discernibly softer.  I pull 12 rounds apart and they were all 3.6 gr on the button.  This is a very soft load for steel challenge of course.

Is there any characteristic of the S&B primers that would produce this effect?

Next time we go to practice I'll have some CCI and S&B rounds on hand to do a side-by-side, but I do understand that different primers can have a small effect on pressure/velocity/etc.

Following.  

Having seen tests showing the small differences in velocity between the popular small pistol standard vs small pistol magnum primers, I would be fairly shocked to see the S&B primers responsible for such a major difference.  I'll also throw in that just recently I was comparing like loads -- same powders, bullets, charge weights -- with some guys whom I trust at another forum, and my loads were coming in a little hotter than there's were, and it's ME who is using the S&B spp.

Unless you worked up a batch that used two different primers in the same run, I'd be suspicious of some other difference being the cause of the cycling problems.

Is this a new lot of powder, perhaps?  Was she tired and limp-wristing?  Was she hold the pistol slightly differently and touching the slide lock?

Again, I'm following this.  I'll be very interested to see how this works out?

I wasn't there, but she's sent at least 45K rounds downrange with that particular handgun.  I think my best bet is to load 50/50 CCI and S&B and see what happens.  We did have to move away from 3.6gr as it got colder last winter, but it was mild today.  Stuff happens.

Don't see how the primer could cause that much difference in load, maybe 10 ft/sec. I have run tens of thousands of CCI's and like them the best, but recently am just finishing 20K of S&B. A little harder but they function fine. Take a look at the extractor on the 1911.

7 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

Don't see how the primer could cause that much difference in load, maybe 10 ft/sec. I have run tens of thousands of CCI's and like them the best, but recently am just finishing 20K of S&B. A little harder but they function fine. Take a look at the extractor on the 1911.

I agree. And I would look at the ejector. Possibly the tip is worn off or slightly bent or broken.

I've had a 10% failure to ignite on 2000 S&B SPPs.. I'll never use them again to save a few bucks. I've had a few CCis fail but no where near the failure rate of the Russian crap. I've never had Winchester SPPs fail and I use them exclusively for matches.

Might be a function of the very soft loads (sub-minor) If I have some time tomorrow am before we practice I'll load up 100 rounds with CCIs.

I don't know about the full cycle of the rotor.  the purpose of the PTX limiter is to avoid using the rotor to actuate the PTX.  If I remove the limit bar the rotor fully actuates.  When reinstalled and adjusted properly the limit bar prevents the rotor from fully cycling.

Just a final note.  I shot 3.6gr N320, same OAL, 115gr Acme with the two different primers.  There is no question that the ejection with the S&B primers was weaker.  I didn't have a chance to chrono, but my loads are very soft and at the lower limit of what will cycle in any event.  My advice (to myself) is to bump up .1gr with S&B; otherwise, these primers work just fine.  I did set aside some of each to chrono when I get a chance, but I've got to make time right now to get my 1050 going:)