Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ P 10 STRIKED FIRED ?

CZ85Combat

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose to be announced Thanksgiving day.  If you have access to Instagram they put a teaser pic showing part of a slide, a couple 15rd mags, and a nicely textured grip that looks like it has some palm swell built into it.  They mention it having fully ambi controls, superior ergonomics, and the same mag family as the P07/P09.  Im looking forward to whatever it is.

I'm guessing they got tired of hearing people complain about lack of real estate for slide manipulations, but that's just a guess.  I'm not sure how I feel about this one yet.  I guess they are going for the Glock crowd and maybe it's good for that.  Sights seem a little too low to me and I always like a manual safety so I can have a very light trigger.  Who knows?  They may eventually throw a manual safety out there and a larger version for the guys who want to try a CZ striker in production.

Kind of odd that they are putting out a gun that goes against most everything CZ lovers are about ( steel, hammer, slide-in-frame ), but how else do you get more market share?

6 minutes ago, Pistolpete9 said:

Kind of odd that they are putting out a gun that goes against most everything CZ lovers are about ( steel, hammer, slide-in-frame ), but how else do you get more market share?

After looking at it, that's kinda how I'm viewing it. If I wanted a plastic gun I'd go buy an XDM. I went CZ because of the steel frame.

I get the polymer since it's intended for carry.  I get the striker to broaden your market.  I don't get why they went away from their trademark slide in frame.  The slide real estate must be the reason, but I don't think it was a problem.  I think they slide in frame benefits outweigh the slightly smaller slide to grab.

For people who know how to manipulate a slide, it is a total non-issue.  Again though, I think they are aiming at the people who go out and buy a gun and shoot it once a year at most.  The same kind of people who can't shoot worth a darn but claim that their pistol is "perfection"

P10C.jpg

Got a quick chance to handle one.

texture on grip is nice. actually sticks in the hand. gun is very comfortable, points well, shooting is pretty easy. sights are standard 3 white dots.

sorry didn't measure trigger weight.

Supposed to be the black version, FDE and Suppressor Ready and .40SW versions too.

Think about how polymer guns are made.  Metal rails embedded in the plastic for the slide to ride on like a Glock or M&P... Or a metal chassis the frame is molded around that also has rails milled into it.

How are you going to get a polymer slide-in-frame to not have plastic rails inside the slide grooves, but rather the needed metal on metal rails?

I think that's exactly why it's built the way it is.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Think about how polymer guns are made.  Entail rails embedded in the plastic for the slide to ride on... Or a metal chassis the frame is molded around.

How are you going to get a polymer slide-in-frame to not have plastic rails inside the slide grooves, but rather the needed metal on metal rails?

I think that's exactly why it's built the way it is.

But they've already made polymer guns with slide-in-frame.  Why change it now?

The slide-in-frame design on the P-07/09 is mostly for looks.  The slide still rides on a steel insert like every other polymer.  The only thing the faux rails do is get the slide lined up with the inserts so the pistol goes back together easily.  It could just as easily be riding on top of the receiver like most of the others.

As to why they changed it for the P-10, I suspect it's for lowering the bore axis.  When you're holding an assembled slide in your hand, ready to attach it to a receiver, the recoil spring assembly is pinned in between the front of the slide, and a protrusion (forgive my lack of technical vocabulary here) below the barrel at the chamber-end. BUT when you slide that slide onto the receiver, the end of the RSA that is pinned to the barrel at the chamber end offloads from the barrel onto a block in the middle of the receiver.   In the P-07/P-09, the steel insert rails are on top of that block.  Now, the more you can shorten the slide height AND the receiver height and still squeeze inside everything you need, the lower you can get the bore axis.   In the case of the P-10 design, which appears to be based off the P-07/09 design, imagine taking a P07/09 slide and start shortening its height and sinking it down into the receover -- you're eventually going to run into a problem where those insert rails and that block for the RSA are going to need to occupy the same space.  The easiest way around that, or in other words, the easiest way to lower the bore axis as much as possible, is to move the steel insert from inside the receiver and get it out of the way -- putting it a hair above the receiver like most of the other polymer pistols out there.

That's my suspicion anyway.  I'm neither gunsmith nor engineer. ;)

The P-10's trigger has been compared favorably to the PPQ, which IMO has the best trigger on any striker out there, and by a long shot.   I have thought many times if you could get a PPQ-caliber trigger on a Glock, you'd have the perfect plastic.  That's what the Caracal was trying to do.  It's starting to look like maybe CZ has done it.  Factor in the accuracy/precision you get from that P-07/09 barrel lock-up, and this pistol could be a real winner.  I'm excited for it.

edited for clarity

Edited by IDescribe

Being a older shooter I grow up on 1911's, double action revolvers and then the Beretta 92's.  I took a long break from shooting, I decided to make some time for my self and found the great sport of practical shooting. Things had changed, Glocks, M&P's these plastic striker fires were everywhere. So I tried them, but they just didn't feel right. I told a friend I was considering a FN, they were plastic and double action. He wisely steered me to the CZ 's (thank you coordinator). I fell in love with the great double action triggers on CZ's and how they fit my hand. I am now the proud owner of two SP01 Shadows, a Cz Custom CTS 40, a Cajun Gun Works P01, a P07 and have a Cajun Gun Works Rami on order. Yes I am a official fan boy of CZ, I just love them. So when I saw this striker fire from CZ it peaked my interest, CZ has proven to me that they know how to build a great gun, so I will give this new model a try with a open mind. I will however wait, let the second gen hit the market before I buy. Not a sermon, just a thought.