Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go for a .40 or settle on a 9mm

aandabooks

Considering a new SS gun and looking for opinions.  I'm thinking about going .40.  Unfortunately the pickings are pretty slim.  

Ruling out Trojans, it looks like Sig or RIA are the two choices.  I would probably go with the Max over the base model they make.  (Had a Max in .45). The other option is RIA as the many I've had over the years have been solid bargains.

The other option is to go with a 9mm and have a dedicated minor gun alongside my Ford Custom for major.

For a 9mm I'm looking at a used Colt that would need a few hundred in upgrades and mags.

Which way should I go on this?  I reload for either so that is not an issue.

RIA doesn't offer a 1911 in 40 with a bushing, which is required for USPSA Single Stack. I wish they did, as that was my first choice for an entry level 1911. Ended up with a RIA 9mm 1911 for SS.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

One of my team mates runs a Max in .40 and really likes it, the mag I put through it felt great, shot pretty flat. I've shot a bunch of matches with him useing it and can't say I recall it ever having issues. 

34 minutes ago, N3WWN said:

RIA doesn't offer a 1911 in 40 with a bushing, which is required for USPSA Single Stack. I wish they did, as that was my first choice for an entry level 1911. Ended up with a RIA 9mm 1911 for SS.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Good to know.  Guess I'm down to two models of Sigs.  I wish Springfield still made the Loaded in .40.

I have two Max's in 40 and they are great. The wife shoots a Sig Match Elite 9mm SS and it is a very nice gun to shoot. This was her 5 shot group freestyle at 10yds with the gun right out of the box. The only thing we are changing is to install a fiber optic front sight.

SigMatchEliteGroup.jpg

Edited by Fergus

I have 1911's in both calibers (well, also have .45, who doesn't?).  It comes down to if you like the lighter recoil, minor PF, and 10 rnds in the 9mm vs. the snappier recoil of the .40 and playing in the 8-rnd major PF game.  

In 2016 I shot SS-minor almost exclusively and finished about where I did in 2015 at Level 1-3 matches shooting major.  At A1 this year I brought both guns and decided on minor/major after seeing the stages on the ground.  

FWIW, my 9mm and .40 were built by a local gunsmith for about the price of a STI Trojan.  

21 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

My thinking is that with a .40 I can shoot either Major or Minor depending on the match or how I'm feeling.  I used to own a SA RO in 9mm and it was almost like cheating with how light the recoil was.

Better in theory than in practice...

1. it would require bringing two types of ammo to every match, unless you plan to just shoot your major ammo and register as minor (but a 42.5oz 9mm is gonna be way softer).
  2. Bringing two different types of ammo has the very real possibility of requiring a spring change between major and minor. 
  3. The very super special "you've-got-to-call-to-order-them" 10 round 10mm mags that fit in the box are, from what I have heard from friends, are hit or miss at best. Not to mention incredibly difficult to seat when loaded to 10.
  4. You already have a major gun, yes you have to bring different ammo for both guns but you would have to do that anyway.

The way I see it, 40's are cool if you shoot limited/load a lot of 40 for other stuff. Cause it allows you to just shoot the same ammo as your limited gun. That is where they really shine. 

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

Better in theory than in practice...

1. it would require bringing two types of ammo to every match, unless you plan to just shoot your major ammo and register as minor (but a 42.5oz 9mm is gonna be way softer).
  2. Bringing two different types of ammo has the very real possibility of requiring a spring change between major and minor. 
  3. The very super special "you've-got-to-call-to-order-them" 10 round 10mm mags that fit in the box are, from what I have heard from friends, are hit or miss at best. Not to mention incredibly difficult to seat when loaded to 10.
  4. You already have a major gun, yes you have to bring different ammo for both guns but you would have to do that anyway.

The way I see it, 40's are cool if you shoot limited/load a lot of 40 for other stuff. Cause it allows you to just shoot the same ammo as your limited gun. That is where they really shine. 

Very compelling arguements.  Maybe I should be going toward the 9mm after all.

Hello: try to find a Springfield stainless Loaded in 9mm. I have two and they are great pistols. Springfield makes these once in a while for the California market. Very well built and accurate. I am building a 40 top end for one of them so I can shoot major as well. I did have a Sig Max in 45 but it did not quite fit my hand and I would have to cut on it so it would. The STI Trojan are good guns in 9mm and 40. Dan Wesson 9mm are nice but a little pricey now. All the Colts I have seen are just not there for a competition pistol, my STI Spartan 45 is better fitted. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

Very compelling arguements.  Maybe I should be going toward the 9mm after all.

I tried to "do it all" with a .40 2011 for a couple years. I shot major with it for USPSA, minor for 3-gun and IDPA. Came away from that experience with the feeling that if I am going to shoot minor I am better off doing it with a 9mm.  Some people like .40 minor for how soft it is (it is), but I'm not one of them.  

.40 is a great caliber for SS if you are also shooting Limited.  

Why not the Trojan in .40? I have a few Trojan 40's and they are outstanding. Only issue i ever had was my own error when i loaded the 40 too short. Mine run all day on anything over 1.15 OAL. 

Other than if you are also loading for Limited, why wouldn't you just keep and shoot the Ford .45 for major,and buy a Spfld RO 9mm for minor? Now you've got both covered. You already have a high quality SS major gun with the Ford .45. Gavin built me an amazing Ford 40 so I speak from experience concerning the high quality of a Ford build.

11 minutes ago, JGus said:

Other than if you are also loading for Limited, why wouldn't you just keep and shoot the Ford .45 for major,and buy a Spfld RO 9mm for minor? Now you've got both covered. You already have a high quality SS major gun with the Ford .45. Gavin built me an amazing Ford 40 so I speak from experience concerning the high quality of a Ford build.

I'm just being a little too concerned about the finish in the Ford.  I should just shoot it and not worry about it.

I could just order the STI from Dawson's and be done with it.  Not a big fan of the front strap though.  I put a stock watch on for a SA Loaded in 9mm.  Maybe one will become available shortly.

Matt - I have a wilson combat in 40SW and a CC Spfld 40SW. I tried the 40 minor route as well. With the Tripp System mags I would occasionally run into issues. A few others that tried this said the magazines are hit and miss on which ones will work flawlessly all the time. I ended up picking up a 9mm DW Valor. and plan on running either the wilson ETMs or Tripp Magazines. I use the same load for my Limited Gun as well as my SSTK 40s. I will send you a link to a gun I found on another forum you might be interested in. 

Jeff 

I have and enjoy a rock island 9mm, and for the money I don't suppose there is anything better. Just put a dawson magwell on it, get metalform or dawson mags, trigger work, and you will still be under the cost of just a Trojan before all that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I ended up picking up a 9mm DW Valor. and plan on running either the wilson ETMs or Tripp Magazines.

I might caution you towards the ETM or Tripp mags in 9mm. Everyone rants and raves about them for 40 and 45, but I know lots of people with issues in 9mm. I think metalform/dawson are the way to go for 9 mags.

13 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I might caution you towards the ETM or Tripp mags in 9mm. Everyone rants and raves about them for 40 and 45, but I know lots of people with issues in 9mm. I think metalform/dawson are the way to go for 9 mags.

I believe it came with 2 metalform mags. I only ordered 1 of the ETMs. So I will compare them and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip. 

Jeff 

aand, since you already have a 40 you use for major, try minor loads in it and see how you like it.  My Limited gun shoots 172PF and 139PF loads with the same spring.  Admittedly, the 138 brass is not flung as far as the 172, but I've never had a stove pipe or any other failure with the 138.  I'd rather have the 40, because I prefer to shoot major.  I average between 90 and 95% of all the points available on every stage.  When I recalulate those Charlies as minor I often drop a place or three.

I don't shoot 9mm any longer.  I do RO at matches and I can tell you for a lead pipe cinch that I see more failures to feed or extract, and jams with 9mm guns, including 1911s in SS, than I do with any 40 shooters.

3 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

I can speak from actual experience. I have been using Tripp 9mm 10 round mags and they have been flawless.  Loading 147 SNS at 1.12.  

Edited by JGus

2 hours ago, aandabooks said:

I'm just being a little too concerned about the finish in the Ford.  I should just shoot it and not worry about it.

I could just order the STI from Dawson's and be done with it.  Not a big fan of the front strap though.  I put a stock watch on for a SA Loaded in 9mm.  Maybe one will become available shortly.

Matt, i know how you feel. Besides my Ford i've also got a Canyon Creek Springfield 1911 40. At first I was reluctant to shoot them as they look so good.  But it didn't take long to realize they shot too nice to not shoot them. Amazing in both looks and function.

Out of curiosity, why are you ruling out a Trojan? I have a Dawson CRP Trojan 9 and it's been flawless. If you are opposed to the front strap, just cover it with skate board tape.

Edited by igolfat8

1 minute ago, igolfat8 said:

Out of curiosity, why are you ruling out a Trojan? I have a Dawson CRP Trojan 9 and it's been flawless. If you are opposed to the front strap, just cover it with skate board tape.

Mainly the front strap.  They do seem just a bit over-priced compared to other brands but I might think that due to not having owned one.