Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go for a .40 or settle on a 9mm

aandabooks

Matt if you make it over to Indianapolis area I have my Ford Shooter's 40cal 1911 and a Akai Custom 40cal 1911 you can shoot and make sure you like the recoil in 40cal before you make the buy of a new gun. I have Tripp 9 round Corey mags and the 10 round System mags that both run flawless.

2 minutes ago, bjones6686 said:

Matt if you make it over to Indianapolis area I have my Ford Shooter's 40cal 1911 and a Akai Custom 40cal 1911 you can shoot and make sure you like the recoil in 40cal before you make the buy of a new gun. I have Tripp 9 round Corey mags and the 10 round System mags that both run flawless.

Thanks for the offer.. Won't get over that way until April for the SS, Prod and Revo match.. Wonder how long it would take to get a .40 from Gavin.

2 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Thanks for the offer.. Won't get over that way until April for the SS, Prod and Revo match.. Wonder how long it would take to get a .40 from Gavin.

I'll be working that match again this year. It took Gavin over 8 months to build my 40cal. But in his defense I told him to take his time. Plus he was down for a little while with his knee injury that resulted him having surgery.

I went with a dan Wesson pointman in 40 thinking I could use it for major or minor. Unfortunately I can't get it to run with 10 rounds in the Tripp cobra mags. Runs well loading 8 and shooting major.l (after a bit of futzing with load lengths and bullet profiles).

If I had it to do over I would have gone 9mm and just shot minor. In most of the local matches (and even the 1 major match) I've shot I doubt my performance would have been much different.

If you've shot much production 10 round stage plans likely come easy. 8 rounds is a different game and often having an extra couple rounds could be a confidence builder.

In my sample size of 1 40 SS can be a little finicky and I wouldn't do it again. For major I would have gone with a 45 even though it would have meant adding a caliber.

If there is one thing I've realized shooting this sport its DON'T settle for anything.  When I first got started I settled on what I thought were small details and it just ended up costing me more money.  Best advice I can give is shoot and handle everything you can.  Then do all the research possible to fill in the gaps which hopefully are small.  Just don't settle.  Settling gets expensive.  Theres a good chance that if you settle you will end up with both.  Both might not be the end of the world but its always nice to get it right the first time.

14 hours ago, aandabooks said:

I'm just being a little too concerned about the finish in the Ford.  I should just shoot it and not worry about it.

I could just order the STI from Dawson's and be done with it.  Not a big fan of the front strap though.  I put a stock watch on for a SA Loaded in 9mm.  Maybe one will become available shortly.

Ford builds guns to be used not sit in a safe and tell others about, though that's fun also!!!!

Shoot the 45, buy a nine in SIG or SA get it running and set up the way you want. Then look at the stage book and decide which to bring to the match or bring them both and use the other as your back up gin.  Lets face it if you have to go to a back up gun you've already blown the match by zeroing or close to zeroing a stage from when your main gun went down.  So the rest of the match is practice/fun at that point.

14 hours ago, zzt said:

aand, since you already have a 40 you use for major, try minor loads in it and see how you like it.  My Limited gun shoots 172PF and 139PF loads with the same spring.  Admittedly, the 138 brass is not flung as far as the 172, but I've never had a stove pipe or any other failure with the 138.  I'd rather have the 40, because I prefer to shoot major.  I average between 90 and 95% of all the points available on every stage.  When I recalulate those Charlies as minor I often drop a place or three.

I don't shoot 9mm any longer.  I do RO at matches and I can tell you for a lead pipe cinch that I see more failures to feed or extract, and jams with 9mm guns, including 1911s in SS, than I do with any 40 shooters.

That's interesting.  I see the exact opposite.  I, and several others run SS 9mm(SA STI RIA) with both Tripp and Dawson mags.  100% reliable, Period.  The only choke and puke 9mm SS I have seen was a Colt and I really think that issue was mag related. 

The info on the RIA 1911 in 40 S&W is correct at this time. (No bushing guns in 40 S&W). BUT the world didn't end just yet!..... I just received my a RIA 9mm ramped barrel/ bushing gun yesterday..... I have to say I'm impressed with the quality and fit., as nice or better than some big $$$$$ 1911's. My intent was to find a 40 S&W bushing gun for Single Stack and 9mm for steel.. I'll only use this setup occasionally as I usually shoot "open" with a homebuilt CK/Caspian hi cap., so cost was a  concern. AT THE WORST, I'm going to buy another 9mm slide and open it up to 40 S&W dimensions and probably fit a Clark ramped 40 S&W barrel. Don't go on about how this won't work as there are manufacturer's who use the SAME slide for 9mm, 38 Super, and 40 S&W,  but not for 45ACP and I'm not meaning SV's with the inter changeable face. I've read Kimber does this ?.but I don't know this for sure. ...Another possibility is the RIA 40 S&W "bull" barrel and have the O.D. turned to bushing barrel size....( about $80.00 for the ramped version).....The "fat" lady ain't done singing yet.....

Edited by mike NM

46 minutes ago, mike NM said:

The info on the RIA 1911 in 40 S&W is correct at this time. (No bushing guns in 40 S&W). BUT the world didn't end just yet!..... I just received my a RIA 9mm ramped barrel bushing gun yesterday..... I have to say I'm impressed with the quality and fit., as nice or better than some big $$$$$ 1911's. My intent was to find a 40 S&W bushing gun for Single Stack. I'll only use this setup occasionally as I usually shoot "open" with a homebuilt CK/Caspian hi cap., so cost was a BIG concern. AT THE WORST, I'm going to buy another 9mm slide and open it up to 40 S&W dimensions and probably fit a Clark ramped 40 S&W barrel. (Don't go on about how this won't work as there a manufacturer's who use the SAME slide for 9mm, 38 Super, and 40 S&W, but not for 45ACP). Another possibility is the RIA 40 S&W "bull" barrel and have the O.D. turned to bushing barrel size....( about $80.00 for the ramped version).....The "fat" lady ain't singing yet.....

With enough machining and fitting I'm sure you can make it work.  Barrel turning is not a big deal with a proper setup and jigging a slide vertically in the mill is childsplay.  With a little time and patience I don't see why it can't be done.

I've always had good luck with every RIA I've ever owned.  About 8 so far.  They already come with Series 70 firing system so a trigger job is just a kit away.. I just wish they offered a stainless version as the finish could be better.

On 11/20/2016 at 7:24 AM, mike NM said:

The info on the RIA 1911 in 40 S&W is correct at this time. (No bushing guns in 40 S&W). BUT the world didn't end just yet!..... I just received my a RIA 9mm ramped barrel/ bushing gun yesterday..... I have to say I'm impressed with the quality and fit., as nice or better than some big $$$$$ 1911's. My intent was to find a 40 S&W bushing gun for Single Stack and 9mm for steel.. I'll only use this setup occasionally as I usually shoot "open" with a homebuilt CK/Caspian hi cap., so cost was a  concern. AT THE WORST, I'm going to buy another 9mm slide and open it up to 40 S&W dimensions and probably fit a Clark ramped 40 S&W barrel. Don't go on about how this won't work as there are manufacturer's who use the SAME slide for 9mm, 38 Super, and 40 S&W,  but not for 45ACP and I'm not meaning SV's with the inter changeable face. I've read Kimber does this ?.but I don't know this for sure. ...Another possibility is the RIA 40 S&W "bull" barrel and have the O.D. turned to bushing barrel size....( about $80.00 for the ramped version).....The "fat" lady ain't done singing yet.....

I emailed RIA last night to see if their 40/10mm guns have the slide machined for a bushing notch. I've read that several manufacturers will mill in the notch on every slide to standardize their stock - no running different machine operations and cranking out inventory.

How do you modify a 9mm breach face to accomodate 40? I'm really wanting to try my hand at building a 40 top end or modifying a factory 10/40 for a bushing.