Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium comp cracked

arkadi

In case you never saw titanium comp cracking - this is for you.
Probably, I should be more thoroughful rounding and polishing rough edges next time.
1. Should I blast new comp with glass or aluminum oxide?
2. How common is that?

IMG_20161116_181550.jpg

Edited by arkadi

9 minutes ago, Sarge said:

LOL. THAT is not a  crack!

Sure its a crack.  Well, two cracks.  Two big cracks.  And a kind of folding over after the cracking.

Seriously, though, it gives one some apprecation for the power of the gasses the comp is trying to corral.

7 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Sure its a crack.  Well, two cracks.  Two big cracks.  And a kind of folding over after the cracking.

Seriously, though, it gives one some apprecation for the power of the gasses the comp is trying to corral.

:)

I don't see any bullet strikes so I'm assuming there were cracks there for awhile until they gave way?

The final image above is a work of man, just before we removed last chamber with a wrench. :D
I shot through half the training session with a crack which I noticed a day before, and then bullets started flying like a feet lower at 10 yards, presumably due to strikes.

It's a copy of Binary Eng comp in cone flavor made for CZ. Jared do not produce custom designs, so I bought his comp and made a copy.

Unfortunately, two chamber "design" leaks a lot of gas and is not usable for major. 

IMG_20161119_185919.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2016 at 7:41 AM, arkadi said:

IMG_20161116_181550.jpg

SEEE!.......................................................I'm running major...........Honest!

Hahahaha:lol:!

Sorry, back to the problem! Two things contributed to this happening. The first most is the choice of titanium. Titanium is key when wanting a weight/strength ratio for its use.  Titanium is considered a superior combination of high strength and low weight ratios when compared to steel, however, it is not as strong as steel. Its use is mostly calculated in when weight is a factor. The second has already been pointed out where the stressers were clearly in the side ports. If side ports were not used, you would be ok, however, with the high pressure gasses of 9mm major with the combination of titanium, and side ports, this is the potential. I would opt for steel over titanium in a comp with multiple ports.

Edited by abb1

What grade titanium?

That had me worried there, until I saw it on a CZ and knew it wasn't one of mine.  You need to deburr every edge, and remove all stress risers. It also looks like your nominal wall thickness is thin in some areas?

If I remember correctly, Ti work hardens and must be stress relieved (usually by annealing) between major cutting and final finish work. If you don't, you get this.

Also there are many different grades and alloys of Ti, use the wrong one for your application and you'll have a bad time.

The walls are of the same thickness as the original, but I'll check. Comp on the left is aluminum prototype. I use 8.3gn of 3N38 with 124gn (IPSC) lead coated bullets for a PF of 165. I rounded and polished chambers walls after milling with Dremel.

Informative points gentlemen, I'll discuss them with my machinist. I'll get back to you with the info: (1) which Ti alloy was used and (2) was it relieved. Which alloy (number) do you recommend?

While I understand the process in general, I have nor machinery nor skills nor time to do the work myself. So actual lathe and milling works are outsourced. My country is mostly about wooden shoes and agriculture, so getting anything of industrial custom work done is a pain.

If anyone of you reading this thread would like to do a very small batch of properly done comps for me - Ti and/or stainless - I would be glad to send you everything I have on hands and pay for the product. I'm open to other comp designs too.

Edited by arkadi

Seems like it would be cheaper and much less headache to just buy a Ti comp than make your own. Either modify your barrel to take the comp or just get a conversion cone and mount any comp you want by threading it to match the cone. Then mill the exterior of the comp down to match your slide.

I'll holler at kneelingatlas, he may have a better idea for you.