Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb PCC ?'s

I've built a few ar / m forgeries.      Now I'm bit with the PCC bug.       

My preliminary research as build costing way more than my best .223 build !?!

please post your build list, sources. Cost please

while I'm primarily interested in a gound up build,  I might entertain  other affordable systems. Suggestions please 

Edited by biglou13

Frankly, unless you're one of the few people looking for a 223 AR training rifle analog for 3-gun practice, the GMR-13 is awfully clunky, front heavy and expensive. Its a fine gun and it does run, but they don't seem to be grasping the path PCC is forging on its own. There are plenty of alternatives now where you can build a PCC suitable for dedicated use (uspsa, steel, local outlaw) rather than one relegated to "practice" status.

Mine is in the same total price range as  jrswanson1.

Glock mag compatible complete lower for $269 plus a compatible upper through Gunbroker for $492.  

Since my plans are to shoot USPSA, I added an aluminum click switch for under $300 and I was up and running.

Already had a slew of Glock magazines.

I have a Burris MTAC in the closet should local 3 gun matches get a bit better turnout in PCC.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I buit my short barrel upoer for $300 in a package deal.  You might find one similarly priced, added a magwell conversion to my SBR and it was about $550 with four magazines.you could build a lower for a little more than the mag block, so you can get in the game for about $600 plus optic.  About the same price as a .223 rifle.

Hello: I am in the same boat as to start building a PCC for USPSA. I could buy the JP but it is way more fun building one. I think I can build a top shelf rifle for less than $1000 and more like $800. I am still in research mode right now and just collecting info. One thing is I want it on the light side for transitions so barrel weight and forend weight are a factor. I also want a good trigger. I will be using a C-More railway since I have a couple of those. Not sure on dot module size yet maybe a 4 MOA? If you are in a hurry I would look at Palmetto State Armory for a lower and look on Gunbroker for an upper. Should be less than $800. Thanks, Eric

I was not able to obtain all the parts for my Glock based PCC from the same vendor, which would have held down some shipping costs.... the New Frontier Armory (complete) billet lower and bolt came from NFA, the Aero Precision upper, barrel, charging handle, and YHM basic full float fore end came from MAS Defense...1/2 x 36 3 port comp was about $40  from Gun-something....complete PCC was under $800

Edited by Les Snyder

i had my head wrapped around buying each individual component  $$$$

i see that buying assemblies is way to go

since these are pretty much for short game, i'm assuming barrel quality isn't so much a factor?

if you see any deals in your surfing feel free to post or pm me

thanks for the replies

PSA blem billet glock complete lower with a Kaw Valley Precision complete upper with bolt from Joe Bob's. I did have to finish ream the barrel to accommodate my coated reloads. They weren't even close to chambering and I wasn't interested in loading just for the carbine. It has run well so far but I only have about 100 rounds through it. It is also quite a bit lighter than my previous PCC, a Yankee Hill Machine 9mm upper with Hahn mag block in a PSA lower, and I'm really excited to see how its going to work at my Steel Challenge match tomorrow.

^^^

Same rig i got except i got the PSA colt (blem) lower with Magpul stuff.  Total cost less than $750 including shipping/ FFL fees, not including the optic.  Put the upper and lower together out of the box and it ran with out issues.  A buddy put the same combination together and had to file/stone the ejector a little to get clearance with the bolt (couldn't close the upper to the lower), which took about 15 minutes.  He took it out today and his ran well, also.  I wasn't expecting to like this rifle as much as i do.  Lots of fun.  The KVP linear comp is interesting, It seems to work better than i was expecting.  Total weight of the bare rifle (not including the optic) is 6lb 1 oz..

As for the KVP barrel - Mine chambered the standard 125 grain reloads fine, but not the 135/147 gr coated bullets.  I got a throater and will throat ream it to accept the same bullets and OALs I use in my 9mm pistols.  Probably need to back off the charge to keep it around the 130-ish power factor. 

Last match another shooting buddy let me try his JP 9mm with 14.5" barrel and pinned comp.  Very nice,  Hard to beat that combination, too! 

Edited by Bamboo

i really hope my local club allows PCC. not only for matches, but in general. we have a stupid no "pistol round out of a rifle" rule. so an SBR AR with 4" barrel is illegal, too much power, where a S&W 500 revolver is totally allowed. Stupid. But it is saving me from buying an MPX and filing the stamp. 

Well my PSA/KVP combo worked like a champ at my Steel Challenge match today! What a blast!! I'm going to swap the grip and possibly trigger but overall I have no complaints. Somehow I managed to shoot the 9mm faster than my M&P 15-22 that is setup pretty much the same way, weird. I'm looking forward to running this gun in USPSA!!

On 11/20/2016 at 1:11 PM, biglou13 said:

I handled a psa glock version....  Mag changes are STIFF,.   Is there a work around?

I have the PSA (New Frontier) Glock magazine lower. It's nearly new.  The magazine well fits all of my Glock magazines nicely  but to get the magazine past the magazine catch takes a bit of effort  . All magazines drop just like they should.

Since the catch is made of polymer, in time it may break in.

In the meantime, I try to remember to push in on the magazine catch when I insert a new mag.  Not ideal but it works well.

I bought an extra catch so may do a little fine tuning with a file.

started getting my parts,

PSA glock blem complete lower  $269

KVA 16" barrel $120

Spartan stripped upper  side discharge $224

KVP bcg $130

UTG pro hand guard $125

muzzle brake $25

and I have a 6moa c-more and a ton of glock mags.

Should be all in for under a grand and could have kept it around $800 but went overboard with side discharge with LRBHO upper and UTG hand guard.

I choose glock because I have a ton of them