Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock vs Colt pettern

Which us best? I have a mag block in my SBR and it has proven to be absolutely reliable.  It is a pain to reload.  Also I don't like having to sacrifice my SBR....

Are the Glock pattern rifles, or even the dedicated Colt pattern rifles easier to reload?  I don't have a Glock, so there is not an issue with sharing mags, so I am pretty much starting from the ground up.

This is just the opinion from a guy who is just getting into blow back ARs - from what I've seen both can be reliable.   So, that is a wash.

For unaltered Mag-wells the glock seems to be slightly easier/faster to reload due to the double to single stacking making the mags more tapered at the top.  However, I believe that soon there will be aftermarket magwells that will make that moot.

Dedicated Glock lowers definitlely have a magazine capacity advantage, with all the 2rd,5rd,10rd extension that don't exist for colt type mags. Only down side although probably minor is a small mag hole as compared to lowers with mag blocks.

15 minutes ago, lucas said:

Dedicated Glock lowers definitlely have a magazine capacity advantage, with all the 2rd,5rd,10rd extension that don't exist for colt type mags. Only down side although probably minor is a small mag hole as compared to lowers with mag blocks.

I have a beta for my colt ar and you Glock lowers have an capacity advantage, tell me how?

Hello: One thing with the Colt mags are that they go straight into the lower. On the Glock lowers you have to put the mag in at a slight angle. As for one being easier to reload I am not sure since I am not there yet, I am using a Mech Tech with a Glock 17 lower. It reloads very quick with the Dawson Ice magwell installed. When I take the plunge it will be for a Glock mag lower and I may end up making a magwell for it. I have lots of Glock 17 mags so it is a no brainer for me. Thanks, Eric

the forward cut of my NFA lower matches the entrance angle needed to insert the Glock magazines, greatly helping to orient the reload magazine... being able to use a shorter pistol length mag for a re load is for me much quicker than using the longer 32 round stick... and accomplished with the use of pistol magazine pouches located in their standard location on my belt... as for reliability, I'm over 1800 rounds without any form of malfunction...

20 minutes ago, Bob Hostetter said:

I am using the Colt style SMG magazines with extensions taking me out to 38 rounds and I have a drum magazine in route as well. I also have one that uses the Glock magazine but I don't like as well because the bolt doesn't lock back and the magazine angle is weird.

Not to hijack this thread, but where did you get the Colt style mag extensions? I've looked everywhere and not been able to find any.

1 hour ago, gatortommy said:

Not to hijack this thread, but where did you get the Colt style mag extensions? I've looked everywhere and not been able to find any.

I'd like to know also. It's disappointing ,there are far more colt style type 9mm's out there than all the new guns coming out and dedicated Glocks with mag extension and or mag couplers available to them yet no one seems to think a colt 40rd mag and or mag couplers would be profitable I'm guessing. 

On 11/18/2016 at 6:54 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: One thing with the Colt mags are that they go straight into the lower. On the Glock lowers you have to put the mag in at a slight angle. As for one being easier to reload I am not sure since I am not there yet, I am using a Mech Tech with a Glock 17 lower. It reloads very quick with the Dawson Ice magwell installed. When I take the plunge it will be for a Glock mag lower and I may end up making a magwell for it. I have lots of Glock 17 mags so it is a no brainer for me. Thanks, Eric

I am doing the same thing, Glock frame/Mech Tech CCU and using the 31 round Glock mags with the +10 Taylor Freelance, popped a C-more on top and ready to go.

Reloads are standard Glock Mag from the belt.

3 hours ago, lucas said:

I'd like to know also. It's disappointing ,there are far more colt style type 9mm's out there than all the new guns coming out and dedicated Glocks with mag extension and or mag couplers available to them yet no one seems to think a colt 40rd mag and or mag couplers would be profitable I'm guessing. 

I have written requesting colt extensions to:  TTI, Springer, Henning, and Taylor Freelance.  All but TF responded.  All said no plans atm to develop them.

It's baffling to me.  Seems like if any one of them produced them, they'd have an emerging market cornered.  

Springer Precision is developing colt pattern mag extensions now, I would guess they would be available before the end of the year. There is also a guy on FB (Tommy Guns Tactical) that is making CNC aluminum mag couplers for both glock and colt mags.  

Hello: The mag couplers are a no go for USPSA PCC but would be good for 3-gun. Looks like these PCC rifles are catching on quickly and are a lot of fun to shoot. Base pads that would allow 35-40 rounds would be great although when they get too long they tend to rock side to side a little. Pistol round should not be as bad though. Thanks, Eric

I have a dedicated Colt pattern lower, and am purchasing a dedicated Glock mag lower.

I think that Colt pattern has more reliable BHO, straight magazine insertion and a mag cost advantage as well as better very hi cap mag options.

I think the Glock single feed mag design is more reliable and less picky about OAL. The feed cycle doesn't involve smashing into a ramp and being funneled toward the barrel, and if you already have Glock mags then you probably only need to invest in extensions.

Colt mags may have better durability because mag catch is metal on metal. Glock mags are less susceptible to rust.

Both work when dialed in. I probably would stick with only the Colt pattern if I didn't live in CA, but since next year we will be shooting PCC 10 being able to use production mags will keep me from having to purchase and block a bunch of metalforms.

Mine are Colt type.  They've been 100% reliable since I've learned to fully seat them with loaded chamber reloads.  Those are cheap MagPull rubber bases with the loop cut off which allows for a good grasp and a cushioned base to keep the sharp edges of the mag from cutting the palm of my hand when seating.  I also download the reload mags to 25 rounds.  I'll be looking for those nice extended mag bases when they come available, but the MagPull work

Edited by Odessa Straight
9 hours ago, Bob Hostetter said:

We are going to be offering them commercially probably next month, at the Shot Show at the latest. We also working on the mag couplers.

What is the increase in capacity? I've been running +6 printed pads with stock springs for a total of 38. No issues the 4 or so matches I've shot with them even after dropping full mags on the ground. 

20160820_172332.jpg20160820_171758.jpg

Edited by TDH