Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 3-Gun match tomorrow - advice?

huafist

Hat, gloves, boots, food/liquids, too much ammo, don't change anything

on any of your guns/ammo/equip,  unless you get a chance to try it out before the match.

Don't try to "outspeed "  (is that a word?) the best top shooters - shoot at your speed, and

hit the targets, safely :) 

Don't try to have all the "right" gear right away.  My first match had me digging shotgun shells out of my cargo pockets.  Watch and learn.  Be there just to get a feel for it.  It won't take long before you know which techniques you want to use.

Squad with the best shooters you can. Ask questions. Watch everyone shoot. Reload your mags the second you are done shooting a stage. Help reset. Do not run out the next day and buy thousands of dollars worth of guns.

And, if you decide that 3 Gun is for you, take a class as soon as you can. It will drastically speed to the learning curve and save you tons of time and money in the long run.

Edited by adamriser

HAD A BLAST!!!

Had issues reloading shotgun, but it was a technique issue (wasn't seating the rounds completely, and one round would go partially into battery and lock the gate), but otherwise absolutely loved it. Will be back next month for sure!

13 minutes ago, jchris4769 said:

Good to hear you had fun. Practice, practice, practice. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

East TN

I'm definitely gonna have to practice my shotgun loading, and my breath control - I had some pistol accuracy issues because of that. When I slowed down and gathered myself, I was back on target.

Truth.  Shotgun loading on the clock and hitting out past 250 yds with the rifle take practice and stamina.  Get some dummies for the shotgun and practice reloading very slow, slow and almost fast.  Thinking of going open so I can use a bipod and long range rifle.

Ive been shooting a long time & the breath thing still bites me.  The way I conquer no air starts with the make ready command.  I take 1 or 2 deep breaths in & fully out.  On standby command, I will blow out my breath fully.  When buzzer goes off, my breathing will be normal.  If I dont blow breath out on standby, I tend to hold my breath subconsciously until my body is forced to breathe making me out of breath as I am shooting.  Happened yesterday on a simple little stage.  I was huffing & puffing like an out of shape marathon runner at mile 25.....

22 hours ago, adamriser said:

Squad with the best shooters you can. Ask questions. Watch everyone shoot. Reload your mags the second you are done shooting a stage. Help reset. Do not run out the next day and buy thousands of dollars worth of guns.

And, if you decide that 3 Gun is for you, take a class as soon as you can. It will drastically speed to the learning curve and save you tons of time and money in the long run.

Oh & I agree with this post.  However if you are with the best shooters & you see them do something youve never seen done before, use caution doing it at a match until youve tried it in practice.  e.g.shooting steel targets at distance offhand or running in a certain way that you are close to breaking the 180 with your muzzle.  During your first few matches is NOT the time to practice those skills.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a link to a video from one of the stages - you can see the troubles I had reloading shotgun, and I'm moving slow due to rolling an ankle while resetting the prior stage (not my most shining moment, granted lol). But, overall, I did have a good time and I'm ready for the match this month (after, of course, IDPA and Steel Challenge this weekend).

17 hours ago, Pistolpete9 said:

Looks fun!  Good job keeping calm and recovering from frustrations.

Thanks! I about died when I pulled my pistol and the $*()@ mag fell out haha. Talk about feeling like a noob!

The sad part is, I've been shooting pistol comps for a year now lol