Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate Nitro 100 NF rocks!

gigamortis

After the new Canadian Clays disappointment I experienced a few weeks ago, I decided to try some Accurate Nitro 100 NF. According to Accurate's load data for a 230gr LRN, 3.6gr is starting load at 770fps, and a max load of 4.0gr at 880fps. 

I loaded up a few at .1gr below the starting load since I only need to make major at around 720fps. I was pleasantly rewarded with a 5 shot average of 740fps with just a 20fps extreme spread. Very soft recoil if not equal to or softer than Australian Clays. Metering is superb due to the small flakes. Very clean burning, too.  I ran a few of these loads back to back with my old WST load (740fps also) out of the same magazine and the recoil was noticeably less with the Nitro 100 loads. 

With Hodgdon missing the mark with their recent Canadian Clays formula, this Nitro 100 NF looks to be a winner all around! I'll be shooting my first match with these Nitro 100 loads this weekend for a thorough test. 

I am NOT telling you they are the same, but Nitro, and WST are very closely related..
if you like one, you will like the other.

I almost bought a bunch, as it was on sale for 14.99 a can, but I passed.

It works the same as WST, but people just don't buy it...

Edited by bwxmas

On 11/24/2016 at 8:09 PM, bwxmas said:

I am NOT telling you they are the same, but Nitro, and WST are very closely related..
if you like one, you will like the other.

I almost bought a bunch, as it was on sale for 14.99 a can, but I passed.

It works the same as WST, but people just don't buy it...

Both powders at first glance are very similar in appearance.  However, it takes me 4.2 gr of WST to make major pushing a Bayou 230 RN.  The Nitro 100 only takes 3.5 gr for the same 740 fps out of my Kimber.  The recoil impulse of the Nitro 100 is noticeably lighter than my old WST load.

I have only a few lb's left of old Aussue Clays - 4.0 over Summer Ent LRN 230 usually gets me right at 800 out of a 5" 1911, but unfortunately after it's gone I have 16lb's of Canadian Clays, so not happy to have read your other post.  I'll keep using it, as Clays is nice and clean for lead, but will definitely work up new load data when I switch over to it.

• 2 weeks later...

As I posted on another thread:

"Well, I found a bottle of Nitro 100 (12 ounces, kinda light compared to others), and what surprised me at first was that it looks a lot like Clays in size and color. I loaded up 25 Blue Bullets 230 grain, with 3.4 grains. This should make 740 FPS, making a PF of 170. My chrono is not working right, but I tired a few rounds just to see what the recoil was.

Now, if that is indeed 740 FPS out of my SA Range Officer, it is indeed a great replacement for Clays. It even feels lighter in the recoil department then Clays, and it can be loaded hotter of you want, without getting too close to max loads for the powder. I also loaded up 25 rounds of 3.2 grains, this would be a minor load for steel. When I get my chrono working I'll do some in depth testing."

If it is this good, I am a convert for sure.

I just tried my first jug of Nitro 100 NF loading 3.6 grs with a 230 gr. LRNFP coated HS bullet at 2.185" OAL . The load chronoed 746 fps with an ES of 30 . The temperature was between 22 and 24 degree's F and was just wondering how temperature sensitive Nitro 100 is and if it is reverse temp sensitive like WST (it sure looks a whole lot like WST) ?

Thanks

Edited by eggman

On 11/27/2016 at 4:03 PM, 78Staff said:

I have only a few lb's left of old Aussue Clays - 4.0 over Summer Ent LRN 230 usually gets me right at 800 out of a 5" 1911, but unfortunately after it's gone I have 16lb's of Canadian Clays, so not happy to have read your other post.  I'll keep using it, as Clays is nice and clean for lead, but will definitely work up new load data when I switch over to it.

I tested CAN vs AUS Clays yesterday and posted the results here - http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/234808-45-acp-loads-with-clays/&do=findComment&comment=2705449

Seemed to be pretty large drop in FPS - avg about 60fps less on avg, at least in the small sample I did.  

20 hours ago, JON said:

How long has Nitro 100 NF been around?  Is the old stuff still available?

JON, this is from Accurate's FAQ page :

We unfortunately had to change the manufacturer for Nitro 100 early in 2009.

This was due to factors outside our control.

We thus do not source our Nitro 100 for the EU (Czech Rep) anymore.

It’s now made in the USA by General Dynamics®.

It’s still a double base powder but it’s a flattened spherical (ball) powder instead of the original extruded flake design.

I have seen jugs of the old Nitro 100 in the reloading rooms of some of the shotgunners I know but I don't think the old formulation has been for sale for a while now .

Until the outdoor temperatures change here in Virginia I will not know how temperature sensitive Nitro 100 NF is and I am reluctant to load up a bunch of 45 ACP ammo only to find it is below PF in the summer matches.

Edited by eggman