Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello, I currently use a Lee Classic Cast Turret to reload. I clean, deprime and size then clean the pistol brass. To clean I keep it simple and just soak them then dry them. So I begin my reloading by seating the primer with a fwd stroke. Then I load powder with a Lee auto drum in station 1, Hornady bullet feeder in 2, seat in 3 and Lee FCD in 4. This is on a turret press that has the auto index rod enabled.

I have been pondering the same procedure and set up on a Dillon 550. I like this model as it is essentially a turret press with a shell plate vs a single shell holder. I do not have one to set this FrankinDillon operation up on. I am also unclear as to what might happen if you mix Red & Blue to make bullets. Will it end up purple ? So, if you have a desire to try out a purple press shoot a video of it and give us a full report. I am guessing this would increase production by 2-3x over my LCT, perhaps 1.5x of a 550 and still be a simple machine.

Thanks

hqdefault.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaPoU1mCRW0

Auto-Disk-Dillon-XL-650-404x600.jpg

http://ultimatereloader.com/2016/05/20/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-from-unboxing-to-loading-pistol/

Edited by Livin_cincy

No reason to go thru two procedures to reload on a 550 :)

Just clean your brass, and lube the empty cases - let the lube dry, and

start reloading.

Station 1 - deprime and size

Station 2 - prime and flange and dump powder

etc

You can save a LOT of time by just cleaning and lubing, and then reloading :) 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

start reloading.

etc

Station 1- deprime, size, and prime on a 550

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

start reloading.

etc

So you leave the lube on the cartridge or remove it ?

18 minutes ago, Livin_cincy said:

So you leave the lube on the cartridge or remove it ?

Leave the lube on the case (after letting it dry a little).  If your rounds are sticky after loading, you can tumble them for a couple minutes in a dry tumbler to remove the lube from the outside.

11 minutes ago, jmorris said:

You have to ditch the low primer and powder check alarms in order to use the Lee measure?

I suspect the low primer alarm will not be an issue.   The Lee Autodrum is small and can be rotated clear of the Primer system on my turret.

The Lee Autodrum does not have an alarm.  It can be set up three different ways.  You can set it to dump every time a case is inserted.  You can set it to be actuated by the up and down cycling of a press with a pull chain or spring.  Or you can manually operate it by resetting it by pressing a lever/button.   

I press the button on my turret press. My hand is right next to it after I push fwd to prime a case. So it is just muscle memory.

Edited by Livin_cincy

8 minutes ago, jmorris said:

Your second photo looks like you removed the low primer system and the arbor for the powder check die, why?

As noted, I do not have a Dillon.  

That is a photo from Ultimate Reloader on a 650 using a Lee Powderdrum.  The link will take you to the article.

I get an F for reading comprehension, sorry.

I want to be able to utilize a bullet loader (to speed things up) and still seat & crimp with seperate dies.

If you want to speed things up don't run every case through the press twice.  Not only will it be faster to load in a single pass, it will also be half the work.

If you lube, like I do, post load tumble the rounds for 15 min and your ready to go.

AS far as mixing Dillon with Lee stuff I run a lot of Lee dies on Dillon's and have rand some Dillon stuff on Lee's too.

55 minutes ago, jmorris said:

If you want to speed things up don't run every case through the press twice.  Not only will it be faster to load in a single pass, it will also be half the work.

If you lube, like I do, post load tumble the rounds for 15 min and your ready to go.

AS far as mixing Dillon with Lee stuff I run a lot of Lee dies on Dillon's and have rand some Dillon stuff on Lee's too.

Impressive Video !

I wet clean my brass and like the primer out before cleaning.
It is fast to do if you use a 'case kicker' and yes, it is an extra step, but I like the brass prepped this way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Precision-Sleazyject-Ejection-Case-Kicker-Shell-Ejector-Classic-Cast-Turret/172183830208?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39107%26meid%3D436d8adff9034e7f8eac429d05bedae6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D252642413600

2 hours ago, jmorris said:

Needs more c clamps. :)

wet clean my brass and like the primer out before cleaning.
It is fast to do if you use a 'case kicker' and yes, it is an extra step, but I like the brass prepped this way.

I do to sometimes but have never gone through the extra trouble for mixed brass pistol loads.

Needs more c clamps.

We can have a Lee looking like a permanent fixture at my house friends would start to talk...