Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 Mississippi State/Section Championship Series

27 minutes ago, Andyk said:

Question.  I registered for the NSSF match in both open and limited.  If my daughter is able to come (new job) can I transfer one of my entries to her on match day?  In case it's full that is.

Absolutely.  

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Latest update:

March 26th - Rosco Manufacturing MS Two Gun State Championship  - Match Full. See you at the match!  -->  Matchbook!
April 30th - Iverson Arms MS Single Stack/Revolver State Championship - Match Full.  Stages being reviewed by NROI. Matchbook coming soon!
May 28th - MS L10, PCC, & CO State Championship Registration is open, register now!  --> Register!
June 24-25th - MS Production State ChampionshipRegistration is open, register now! --> Register!

July 23rd - CK Arms MS Open State Championship - Details coming soon.
July 29-30th - MS State NSSF Rimfire Challenge - Registration is open, register now! -> Register!
August 27th - MS CQB State Championship - Details coming soon.
September 23-24th - Freedom Gunworks MS Limited State Championship- Details coming soon.
October 29th - Mixed Discipline World Championship- Details coming soon.
November 18th - MS 3-gun State Championship- Details coming soon.

The 2017 Rosco Manufacturing Mississippi Two Gun State Championship is in the books, and from what we saw and the feedback we got from several folks it was a great one!  The squads ran on schedule, everything seemed to run efficiently and everyone had a great time.  Huge thanks to all the staff and folks who pitched in to make it run so smoothly, and of course huge thanks to our title sponsor Rosco Manufacturing who really helped make it special.

When the hammer went down at 9am, we had 77 shooters start off on the five stages of the pistol portion of the match.

Stage 1, Stomp Action, was a 20 round stage that had you activating a swinger and drop turner via stomp box.  This was by far the quickst paced stage of the match, and Jeff Blackmon shredded it with his open blaster with a time of 7.50.  Brandon Guillory and James May were next behind him winning the stage in both Tactical and Limited respectively with runs of 8.94 and 8.95.

Stage 2, Full Throttle, was in stark contrast to stage one, a stage that had 15 targets really spread out and you had to cover some ground.  The guys that could shoot well on the move gained some time here, and that was none other than Ethan Boudreaux, known in some circles as "Lil Sweet", he cooked up the overall stage win here with a 18 second run.  Jason Welch was right on his tail just .13 seconds behind.

Stage 3, Flying V, had you starting with a gun on barrel, and then fter grabbing the gun navigating a parallel shooting area with 14 targets.  Bryant Willett went against the grain here going right first and it paid of for him with th overall stage win with a 12.80 run, Jeff Blackmon was behind him with a 14.28 run and Thomas Knight set the iron sight pace with a 14.63 run.

Stage 4, Blazing Stealth, was a 26 round course with some tight walls to navigate moving laterally and forward.  Jeff Blackmon came up aces her with a 14.75 run, and Ethan Boudreaux was right behin dhim at 14.90.

Stage 5, On The Move, was a 30 round stage that was another one of those that showcased who could shoot on the  move, or at least move really fast in between the shooting.  Jason Welch set the pace here at 16.05 with Jonathan O'Brien right behind at 16.32.

As we broke for lunch and put the pistols away, the halftime leaderboard had Jams May in the driver seat in Limited, Bill Mahley on top in Open, and Brandon Guillory atop in Tactical.

Stage 6, Stomp Action 2, was a remix of stage 1 with rifles.  In what became a recurring them in the rifle portion, Luke Gosnell took the overall stage with a run of 8.13, and Jeff Blackmon was right behind with a 8.53.

Stage 7, Fuller Throttle, was stage 2 redone with rifles.  Luke Gosnell was pushing the gas here and finished on top with a run of 16.94, followed again by Jeff Blackmon at 17.11.

Stage 8, Flying V Reloaded, was just that, Stage 3 reloaded and run with rifles.  Again, Luke Gosnell cam eto play with his long gun today and took this stage with a run of 13.22, Bryant Willett was secon at 14.59.

Stage 9, Blazing Stealth Returns was stage 4 done over with rifles, and Luke Gosnell's streak was broken here as he picked up a penalty and the stage was taken by Jeff Blackmon with a run of 14.11, followed by Brandon Guillory at 15.24.

Stage 10, On the Move Again, was stage 5 redone for rifle, and Luke Gosnell re-asserted his rifle dominance with a 14.44 run and Jeff Blackmon was second with 15.01.

Luke's rifle run was impressive in the second half, but just not enough for him to make up ground he needed.  Look out for this guy if he decides to come down again for the MS CQB state match in August, as it's all rifle on small stages like today.

When all the stages were in the books, Jeff Blackmon was able to make up the ground he needed to take the Open win, Jonathan O'Brien likewise closed the gap and more that he needed with the rifle portion to take the Limited win, and Brandon Guillory staved off a few runs at his lad and was able to hold on for the win in Tactical.

Recognized winners as follows:

Open:
MS State Champ- Bill Mahley
1st place- Jeff Blackmon
2nd place- Bill Mahley
3rd place- Bryant Willett
High Lady- Ashleigh Gosnell
High Senior- Trey Nicholson
High Super Senior- Gerald Forbes

Limited:
MS State Champ- Gerwin Henn
1st place- Jonathan O'Brien
2nd place- Gerwin Henn
3rd place- Luke Gosnell
High Lady- Michele White
High Senior- Gerwin Henn
High Super Senior- Robert Settle

Tactical:
MS State Champ- Steve Lashinsky
1st place- Brandon Guillory
2nd place- Jason Welch
3rd place- Steve Lashinsky
High Lady- Anniston Baluyot
High Junior - Anniston Baluyot
High Senior- Cheryl Fordyce
High Super Senior- Michael Fordyce

Full final results here:
https://practiscore.com/results/new/33347

And another huge thanks to Rosco Manufacturing who provided one of their high quality barrels to each of the first and second place shooters in each division, along with five of their stainless steel barrels for random draw to go along with the Springfield Range Officer 1911 that was given out.

And of course want to thank everyone for coming out and shooting, and especially for the hard work in running squads and tearing down stages after the match. Without the team effort, none of this would be possible.

See you the next match!

Edited by mosher

Latest update:

March 26th - Rosco Manufacturing MS Two Gun State Championship  --> Results
April 30th - Iverson Arms MS Single Stack/Revolver State Championship - Match Full.  Stages being reviewed by NROI. Matchbook coming soon!
May 28th - MS L10, PCC, & CO State Championship Registration is open, register now!  --> Register!
June 24-25th - MS Production State ChampionshipRegistration is open, register now! -->     Register!

July 23rd - CK Arms MS Open State Championship - Details coming soon.
July 29-30th - MS State NSSF Rimfire Challenge - Registration is open, register now! -> Register!
September 23-24th - Freedom Gunworks MS Limited State Championship- Details coming soon.
October 29th - Mixed Discipline World Championship- Details coming soon.

ck.png.4319b551130a8321126912fdaa17e51b.png

MATCH ANNOUNCEMENT:
The 2017 CK Arms Mississippi Open State Championship will be held July 23rd, 2017 at Coast Rifle & Pistol Club near Biloxi, MS. This is a USPSA sanctioned, level 2 Sectional championship match.

MATCH DETAILS:
The match will be 10 stages in a one day format. There will be a lunch break with complimentary food provided. Division will be Open only.

RANDOM PRIZE GIVEAWAY:
One CK Arms open gun (MSRP $4,000) courtesy of match title sponsor CK Arms to be given away by random draw at the awards ceremony.

PLAQUE RECOGNITION:
State Champion, open to MS residents.
1st-3rd place overall, open to everyone.
High Lady, High Senior, High Super Senior, and High Junior .
Class awards in each division based on number of entries.
(1st in class for 5 entries. 1-3rd in class for 9+ entries)

ELIGIBILITY:
Registration will open at 7pm CST on April 4th on Practiscore at the following link:
https://practiscore.com/2017-ck-arms-mississippi-open-state-championship/register

Limited to the first 75 entries. Any registration after that will go to the waitlist.

MATCH FEE: $60
Once registered and approved you will be sent squadding and payment info. You have 14 days from registering to pay or you will be removed from the match. Refunds will be given up to 30 days prior to the match.

STAFF PACKAGE:
We are in need of 15 staff members to run the match. Three staff members will be assigned per squad, and will shoot as embedded RO’s within the squad and run the timer and scoring tablet for that squad. Need not be a certified RO to volunteer, but is recommended. Staff will shoot FREE. If you would like to volunteer as staff, check the box indicating so on the registration form. Please note, not all applications may be accepted once we have 15 staff positions filled. You will receive email confirming if you have been selected as staff.

We are also in need of 5 setup crew members to setup the match. The match will be completely setup the evening before. Setup crew will shoot FREE. If you would like to volunteer as setup crew, check the box indicating so on the registration form. Please note, not all applications may be accepted once we have all setup crew positions filled. You will receive email confirming if you have been selected as setup crew.

SCHEDULE:
9:00 – 12:00pm Shooting
12:00 – 1:00pm Lunch Break. Complimentary lunch and drinks provided.
1:00 – 5:30pm Shooting
6:00 – 6:30pm Award Ceremony.

See you at the match!

Looks like the Open Championship is just a few days before we set-up the revamped Pro-Am, which I will be in Florida for.  So I'm in, and it will be my final practice with the Open gun which I haven't even built yet.  All the parts are here, but I'm waiting to finish Area 1 and Multigun Nationals with the .45 1911 before I touch a different pistol right now.

Glad I saw this thread!

A few important announcements concerning upcoming matches:

First, the matchbook with stage diagrams for the 2017 Iverson Arms Mississippi Single Stack and Revolver Championship is now available at the following link:

https://smsps.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/2017_ms_ss_revo_state_matchbook.pdf

Secondly, a reminder that registration for the 2017 CK Arms Mississippi Open State Championship opens tonight at 7pm cst at the following link:

https://practiscore.com/2017-ck-arms-mississippi-open-state-championship/register

And lastly, the 2017 Mixed Discipline World Championship scheduled for October 29th has been cancelled.

The Louisiana Gator is scheduled for that weekend, and the BPSA staff is looking forward to shooting that one.

Latest update:

March 26th - Rosco Manufacturing MS Two Gun State Championship  --> Results!
April 30th - Iverson Arms MS Single Stack/Revolver State Championship - Match Full.  --> Matchbook!
June 24-25th - MS Production State ChampionshipRegistration is open, register now! --> Register!

July 23rd - CK Arms MS Open State Championship - Registration is open, register now! --> Register!

Match director.....was there a problem with my registration?  I registered for this match yesterday at 7:19 pm but I haven't been approved to squad or pay yet. 

Sorry...I forgot to put the particular state match I was referring to.  I registered for the Open state  match.

Edited by 4me2ply

I registered last night and received my confirmation and staff approval this morning.  I'm on my way through from Nevada to shoot the Pro-Am in Florida a few days after it.

2 hours ago, MAC702 said:

I registered last night and received my confirmation and staff approval this morning.  I'm on my way through from Nevada to shoot the Pro-Am in Florida a few days after it.

That sounds like a great trip.  If you want to hit another club match along the way, there is a great local match the day before our match just 45 minutes up the road in Hattiesburg at Brothers N Arms.  It'll be a good tuneup for the match quite a few of us will probably be there.

1 minute ago, mosher said:

That sounds like a great trip.  If you want to hit another club match along the way, there is a great local match the day before our match just 45 minutes up the road in Hattiesburg at Brothers N Arms.  It'll be a good tuneup for the match quite a few of us will probably be there.

I will try to make it!  I'm putting it in my calendar right now.  Thanks!

We've had 491 registered entries so far in the 2017 Mississippi State/Section Championship series of matches, and that number is sure to grow once we open registration for the CQB, 3gun, and Limited state championships.

Here is a quick breakdown of some of the upcoming matches as they stand right now:

1.jpg.3464c4953cd9f1474544cf27b72237d3.jpg

2.PNG.99dc21e10f889af79e865cf9755cef2c.PNG

3.PNG.cf339c18bfd7b282b73a7817f3073ada.PNG

4.PNG.da407e2e5d7d49bb330dda85c2cd9d45.PNG

And as a general rule of thumb, here is how we recognize overall awards and classes/categories for the USPSA matches:

Highest MS resident in division, state champ plaque.

Top 3 overall in division get 1st-3rd plaque.

5 in a class, 1st gets plaque.

9+ in a class, 1st-3rd gets plaque.

High Lady, Junior, Senior, Super Senior in a division get plaque.  If 5+ in division LE and MIL, 1st gets plaque.

Unclassified not recognized, no plaques.

I'll be classified before the match, I hope.  I'm shooting my first Open Classifier this Sunday.

42 minutes ago, mosher said:

...Unclassified not recognized, no plaques.

Edited by MAC702

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, MAC702 said:

I'll be classified before the match, I hope.  I'm shooting my first Open Classifier this Sunday.

I got classed in open a while back and am shooting open minor. 

I'll also be in Open Minor, with a new gun still being finished.  Didn't get to shoot it last weekend, but we have a Super Classifier match at the very end of the month.  Hopefully, it will be ready then!

We've had a surge in entries over the past two days, must be that good word getting out.   :D

Up to 517 entries total.  Production match is up to 124 entries.  Open match is full at 75+. 

Keep them coming though.  I'll make room :P

MATCH UPDATE!!!

Due to increasing demand, we are adding a second day and 75 more slots to the 2017 CK Arms Mississippi Open State Championship.

The match will now be July 22-23rd.

This will bring the total number of slots to 150 for the match. It will be a 10 stage, one day format shot either Saturday or Sunday.

If you want to shoot against the best open shooters in the state, region, and world, get signed up now!

Register at:
https://practiscore.com/2017-ck-arms-mississippi-o…/register

• 2 weeks later...

MATCH PREVIEW:

The 2017 Mississippi Single Stack and Revolver State Championship takes place this Sunday, April 30th, at Coast rifle and Pistol Club near Biloxi, MS.  This is a USPSA sanctioned, level 2 State/Section championship event.  Over 75 of the best wheel gunners and 1911 aficionados from around the state and region will come out Sunday to test their skills on ten challenging stages that will be sure to test a variety of skills.  The match is full, but spectators are more than welcome.  The action will run all day.

Single Stack will feature an impressive turnout of 56 shooters.  The competition here appears to be wide open, as none of the competitors are classed higher than A, with 26 of them being unclassified in single stack.  The early favorite for State Champion appears to be Russ Smith, a frequent SS shooter and consistent performer at big matches,, but he could get pushed real hard from a set of unclassified guys crossing over into this division just for the match, namely Gerwin and Roger Henn, the father son duo more frequently found stalking the hi-cap divisions of Open and Limited.  In addition to those early favorites, don't count out darkhorse Jamie Humphrey or Nick Saucier.  If either of them put together a solid match they are within striking distance.  The picture for the overall division title gets just a bit murkier, with those guys mentioned above, as well as out of staters Chris DiMenna and William Moore thrown into the mix.

For revolver division, even with 21 revolver shooters signed up, the picture looks a little clearer at the top.  The first and one of only like two or three guys to achieve GM in every division in the sport chose the wheel gun for this one, and Johnny Brister is the early favorite unless he takes a wrong turn on the way down and ends up in Albuquerque.  Gerald Benton is the next man up and could be a darkhorse if Brister stumbles.  For the overall division title, the competition gets a lot thicker as heavy hitters in revolver from the state next door make their way over.  Elliot Aysen is the favorite to take the overall match, with Bill and Jonathan Durocher, and Gary Thibodaux are all set to square off for the coveted podium finish.

It promises to be a fun and exciting match, and we look forward to seeing how it all shakes out!

See you at the match!

The 2017 Mississippi Single Stack and Revolver Championship is in the books, and it was a great one.

First and foremost I want to thank the folks that made it possible.  

Setup crew George Miller, Lee Frasier, Steve Tannetta, Bill Jackson, Calvin Lindsay, Harrell Balius, and Dwaine Balius.  

Without these guys this match doesn't happen.  

RO and match staff, Mike Morgan, Brian Dolly, Mike Ramos, Lee Frasier, Gary Kerr, Harrell Balius, Dwaine Balius, Bryant Willett, Ed Chancery, Thomas Heard, Lloyd Marine, Robbie Foil, Gerwin Henn, Roger Henn, David Pape, Chris Davis, Gerald Forbes, and Bill Jackson.

These events are certainly not one man shows, and are the product of an incredible amount of teamwork from the guys above, and other guys who step up at other matches.  

Now on the action.

We had 77 shooters registered, but with pending nasty weather in the forecast, we only had 56 actually turn out. 

They were rewarded with much better weather than expected, and thanks to efficient squads and implementing the foul weather protocol, we were able to wrap up by 2pm and got done before the bottom fell out and was lucky enough to miss the rain.

It must be all that good karma we've built up the past year. :-)

Stage 1, Quick Six, was a 6 round speed course featuring all poppers shot from behind a barricade.  Christopher DiMenna was the man her, with a 5.45 second run in Single Stack, and Mike Settle lead all the shell guns with a 5.83 second run.

Stage 2, Survival, was a 12 shot short course with a mandatory reload.  Gerwin Henn lead the pack here with his command of gun handling fundamentals and 55 plus years of wisdom, and a time of 7.87.  Dale Craig took the stage win in Revolver with an 11.78 run.

Stage 3, A Little Left, wasa 14 round medium course with a mix of paper and steel.  Gerwin Henn lead the bottom feeders with a 9.86 run, with the hot and cold Nick Saucier right on his tail with a 10.05 run.  Robert Settle lead the pack in Revolver with a 12.85.

Stage 4, A Little Right, was a 16 round medium course that featured four full size colt poppers.  Gerwin Henn established a then here with another stage win at 9.47 seconds.  Same with Robert Settle and his 12.03 second run in Revolver.

Stage 5, With Mushrooms, was a 20 round long course that featured forward movement and a mix of paper and four small poppers.  Gerwin Henn again showed that Limited skills transfer well to single stack with another stage win, and Mike Settle picked up where his dad left off the previous two stages taking one for himself with a 20 second run.

Stage 6, No Sausage, was a 20 round long course that featured backwards movement, and Roger Henn made it a family tradition with his quick feet taking him to a stage win at 13.90 seconds, while in revolver Robert Settle showed that father knows best with a run of 16.48.

Stage 7, Back Pedal, was a 12 round short course featuring backward movement and two very tight shots on mini poppers.  This stage was last shot at the 2016 European Open, and on this day, Christopher DiMenna took the stage with a 5.0847 hit factor, just swirling ahead of Steven Tannetta at 99.79% with a 5.0738 hit factor.  Mike Settle took the stage in Revolver with a 4.3732 hit factor.  'Merica.

Stage 8, *thumb rest [generic]*, was a 17 round medium course that require three hits per target.  Gerwin Henn laid down a 10.47 second run for the stage win in Single Stack, and Elliot Aysen outpaced the Revolver field with a 13.84 second run.

Stage 9, Surrounded, was the biggest course of the day, a 26 round long course.  William Moore put his name in lights on this one with a 19.72 second run, and Robert Settle took the stage in Revolver with a 23.68 second run.

Stage 10, Stomp City, was a 6 round speed course featuring two poppers and a swinger.  Roger Henn was quick in the trigger here with a smoking 3.75 second run.  In the wheelgun division, Elliot Aysen smoked the stage with a 4.74 run.

When the dust settled and the final results were tallied up, the winners were as follows:

SINGLE STACK:
1st Place -Gerwin Henn
2nd Place - Christopher DiMenna
3rd Place - William Moore
MS State Champion - Gerwin Henn
1st A - Gerwin Henn
1st B - Scott Jacob
2nd B - Brian Dolly
3rd B - Russ Smith
1st C - Julio Salado
2nd C - Nick Saucier
3rd C - Jody Jodoin
High Super Senior - DeWayne Gainous
High Senior - Gerwin Henn
High Junior - Blayne Dupuy

REVOLVER:
1st Place - Robert Settle
2nd Place - Dale Craig
3rd Place - Elliot Aysen
MS State Champion - Steven Mosher
1st A - Robert Settle
1st B - Dale Craig
High Super Senior - Robert Settle
High Senior - Elliot Aysen
High Lady - Annette Aysen

MATCH MVP:
Rangemaster Bill Jackson, who went 2 for 4 in calibration challenges.

Full results can be found on Practiscore and USPSA at the links below:
https://practiscore.com/results/new/35092
and
https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=20989

We want to thank all the shooters who came our and supported us and shot.  Everyone did an amazing job shooting and pitching in with pasting and tear down.  It was an awesome team effort .  We certainly hope you enjoyed it as much as we did running it.

See you at the next match!