Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ready to declare titegroup 'my powder of choice' and move on...or am I?

TobyJ

First wanted to say hi, and thank all of you for all the great advice, comments, and such I've been able to find on these forums as I've been lurking for the last few months.

I've come up with a handload that I really like:  3.2gr of Titegroup under xtreme 147's with wsp's at about 1.16 oal make between 135 and 137pf, depending on the day / chrono (single digit sd and low double ed),   Functions my gen 3 g34 with stock springs just fine, and is more accurate than I am.  

I'm not new to reloading, but new to 9mm...oh, and I like to try different stuff.  When I worked up my loads for my 300 blackout, I started with 7 powders, finally settling on 2, one for supers and one for subs.  With 9mm, I have only tried 2, Titegroup and True Blue.  Both worked well, but the lower charge and lower cost of TG settled it.  I have not seen any pressure signs, nor does the gun seem unusually dirty.  The barrel does get hot, and I expected that from a double base (I use Lil gun in my 300, and it heats up good too), but so far, it doesn't seem to matter. I've also used 147(ish) rn from Blue Bullets over 2.9gr...my lone wolf barrel doesn't really like them, but I think the factory barrel will, but at only about 1.5 cents less than the xtremes, I just haven't looked into them further.

Prior to the election, I was all set to run out and buy a bunch of TG, but there was none to be had.  Now that things are returning to normal, I can get TG for $20-$22 per pound in a couple of places locally, or less if I buy 4 or 8 pounds.  But I can also find N320 locally, and the posts about Prima V sure look interesting, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.  With the 300, I had stuff like rifle function (its an 8" suppressed AR) and report at stake (faster powders are quieter, but tend to not function as well), so there were clear advantages to some powders over others.  With 9mm, I feel like I've achieved all I need to, and should spend my time loading and shooting, not researching and scouring...

So I ask you all...can I just ride off into the TG sunset?

TobyJ

well if you're happy and it meets your needs, why not? but we all know there are other options available!
would you find another powder you like more? probably but why go down that rabbit hole if you're already satisfied. 
i mean, if you want to make things a simple as possible just stick to TG.

I wish i would take my own advice, but i like to try a variety and then finally choose my favorite.....and typically over complicate things in the process (working on that).

It's my go to pistol powder, since it works in every pistol caliber I shoot ,it's cheap and easy to find. I can't ask for anything more.

The only downside is it's hot and makes coated bullets stink. But I mostly shoot plated anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: I have been using Tite Group for years in 9mm and 40 S&W. I have tried other powders but just keep coming back to Tite Group. It is more accurate for me than N320 in 40 S&W. It does burn a little hot but just works for me. It works ok with the new coated bullets that are out there now. I just loaded up some Acme 115's for my PCC to shoot this weekend with Tite Group. Since you are shooting a Glock 34 try some 121gr Montana Gold IFP with 4.1 grains of Tite Group at 1.140" OAL. That is a sweet load and very accurate. Thanks, Eric

Find a load that works and don't fiddle with it. A lot of people waste a hell of a lot of time tweaking loads and playing with components when they could be training.

Titegroup is cheap, always available, and just plain works. It's my one and only pistol powder.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, TobyJ said:

I like:  3.2gr of Titegroup under xtreme 147's at 1.16"  

I like to try different stuff. 

I can also find N320 locally, and the posts about Prima V sure look interesting

Toby, since you like to experiment, I'd certainly try N320 and Prima V, plus WW231 if you can find any.   :)

Good luck in your quest for The Perfect Load  ....    :bow:

Just shot a best ever group using Tite Group in my 929.  15 shots at 15 yards measured 0.875.  2.7 grains of TG pushing a 160 grain coated bullet with a 1.170 OAL.  Don't ask about what happened to 16th shot....Hey...it hit the target.

I just bought a pound of tight group going down the rabbit hole finding your other different powders for 9. I haven't loaded with it yet because I am using up the last of my clean shot from Shooters World which is supposed to be very similar to Accurate number 2 and I've been very happy with that. I just finished up my last 5# jug of that and I'm looking at something I don't have to order.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:31 PM, nelson1each said:

I use TG for both my 9 & 40...burns a little dirty but cheap & accurate. Works for me

I'm also using TG in 9 and 40.  Has been very consistent.  I pretty much stopped using anything else.  I don't really notice a smell with coated bullets either.

I find titepoop to be hot, dirty nasty, and snappy. I don't like that fact that you can put 3 doses of it in a case before it makes a mess on the shell plate. I prefer a powder that fills up the case more. I found it to be snappy because I had to be in the 140 Power factor range to be accurate (2 inch groups at 25 yrds). Other than this, it's a fine pistol powder. It's cheap. It does the job, but there are better powders like WST, W231, N320, N340, etc. Every powder has it's negatives. Titepoop just has too many negatives for me.

Edited by Red Ryder

I spent a lot of time and money looking for a magic load and finally realized it was more fun to shoot than load. I use the same load as you for 9 mms and also use TG for my major load 40. Every powder I used had positives and negatives. TG is good but not perfect. 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:09 PM, L3324 said:

It's my go to pistol powder, since it works in every pistol caliber I shoot ,it's cheap and easy to find. I can't ask for anything more.

The only downside is it's hot and makes coated bullets stink. But I mostly shoot plated anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I use Titegroup with BBIs in .40 major.  smells like chicken shit while shooting haha

Titegroup works well for me too, I have used it with plated and coated 124's and 115 XTP's. It's accurate out of my G34, pretty cheap and I have multiple local sources. There may be "better" powders out there but it's TG for me. 

I tried TG. It works, and  has a place but not my first choice. Never cared for the heat in the slide I got with TG.

These days I prefer powders than burn a little slower. 

If it works for you, stick with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2016 at 3:16 PM, 57K said:

All I'd suggest is that you keep an eye on what other guys are loading for the same PF and if you see one that gets constant mention it might be worth a try. BTW, guys, Ba 9 1/2 is the Vectan equivalent of V-V N320.

I'm out of town on business, and I just stumbled on some BA 9 1/2 at a local shop...buy one, get one free, so 2.2lbs. cost me $30...(fortunately, I drove :-))Looks like I'll be testing this when I get home. Since it's supposed to be n320 like, I'm thinking 3.2 3.4, 3.6 gr under 147 xtremes.

TobyJ