Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I missing anything

jw3378

First off, if this is in the wrong thread please correct me.

Howdy gentlemen, I've recently jumped back into production compdivision after a long hiatus away from the sport. I have shot multiple local matches using my fathers Limited belt rig adjusted to production legal. I've decided this hobby is one that is easily accessible to me and worth the purchase of my own rig (and pops wants all his stuff back).Id like to put together an entire belt rig but am looking for recommendations on some parts and would like to make sure im not forgetting anything. I am currently shooting a stock 2 and have a comp-tac holster with the original drop offset mount already

Equipment I've consider-

-Belt- not sure what brand on this one. Have heard greet things about CR speed and DAA, any others?

-Pouches-ghost, cr speed, DAA     Suggestions in the three?

-BOSS Holster Hangar

-Shot time-   Really need help here!!!

-Baseplates for stock 2 magazines. Brands?

Thanks Gentlemen and God bless.

Edited by jw3378

Belt - I have been using the blade tech competition belt, but I have buddies shooting with the DAA and CR Speed belts and they all have been working. Shooters connection makes a great belt. I see DAA and CR speed belts the most. Not much of a difference between them as far as I am aware.

Pouches - I personally use the CRSpeed magazine pouches and no issues over the year I have been using them. I mostly see DAA mag pouches followed by CR Speed then Ghost. Blade tech is another popular option, but they aren't universal. CR Speed magazine pouches and blade tech can't be configured for bullet out. DAA, Ghost, or CR Speed will work great.

BOSS Hanger - This thing is awesome! Highly configurable, gives you a nice offset, and won't violate the 2 inch rule if you use the included belt attachment. I should note that if you try to put it on tek-lok it will violate the 2 inch rule.

Shot Timer - Get the pocket pro II. It has everything you will need.

I don't shoot a Stock 2 so can't help with the base pads.

Belt - I have the Black Scorpion and it's been great. Most of the people I shoot with have either DAA, CR or Black Scorp. So you can't go wrong with any of them. I would stay with a double belt system.

Pouches - I used the ghost then moved to the CR Speed for production and Single Stack which I like better, but they will not go bullets out like the Ghost or DAA.

Boss Hanger - Never used.

Shot Timer - Pocket Pro II - This is what my club has so I like to be able to learn on mine and use the clubs for matches.

Basepads - Not sure on Stock II

Any belt work, I use DAA for all of mine as I bought one and just kept using them.  Cr speed are a good option if you want bullets forward.  I used safariland 771 and use Comptac for single stack with Velcro behind the mount to keep them from moving. 

For basepads, I see shockbottle used quite frquently. 

For a personal training shot timer, I recommend the CED 8000.  Compared to many of the small timers you will see at matches, it's big and clunky.  Possibly not the best timer for matches, but for training, it's great. 

Positive features: easy to set par times, adjustable sensitivity (it picks up my airsoft pistol), and has a stop plate jack.  Each string it records each shot and displays both the time since the buzzer  and the time between shots.  Has a lot more settings but these are the ones I  rely on.

As for reliability, I bought  mine used several years ago and has never given me a problem.

It uses an easily replaceabe 9 volt battery.  No charger needed.  Just keep a spare  battery in your range bag and you will never  quit practicing  due to  a  low battery.

At the range or in the garage (for airsoft or dryfiring) I have it mounted to a tripod.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I prefer the CR Speed belts. 

Ghost 360 pouches are awesome, and very affordable. 

BOSS Hangers are one of the best options out there in my opinion.

CED / Pocket Pro II - Whichever. They both work fine.

Henning and/or shockbottle basepads are pretty slick. 

I use everything the Ben Stoeger shop sells except I'm using the $40 shooters connection belt ... because I already had it.

Blade Tech holster body for Stock 3 on the fully awesome BOSS hanger.

Ghost pouches? Yes. B fan of these over my old CRSpeeds. If you decide to play with a Glock or M&P or CZ you don't need to make any changes to your mag carriers. They're also tough enough to fall into when empty without damage (don't ask.)

And trust me: choose the Henning basepads over the shockbottles. The front edge of the basepads being beveled to match the magazine body rather than the angle of the gun's grip is a huge ergonomic improvement.

I'm still shocked that it actually makes a difference, let alone a huge one.

They are down to almost $16 each when ordered in a 6-pack from Henning's website, so they are also surprisingly the cheapest option.

IMG_2332.JPG

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I use DAA belt, ghost pouches and red hill tactical double layer holster.  Also a fan of the Henning bases and henning grips. The grips are (for me) the perfect size.

For dry fire practice any smart phone timer app with par time is fine.

@ MemphisMechanic, are you using any magwell? If you do, does it fit okay? I have a Zev magwell (Brass) installed on my G35 but I have issues using a Dawson basepad. I believe I may have to alter the opening a little but to allow the mag to go in freely.

I saved some money by just getting a whole rig set through ghostholsterdirect.  You get a belt, a good holster (you'll want the Thunder), and 3 mag pouches.  I've been extremely satisfied with it for the price and added a little since then.  The only complaint I have is that the belt could be finished a little nicer and that's being slightly picky.  The mag pouches come with options to fit with bullets out pouches too if you prefer.  

The smart phone apps are great for dry fire, but you'll benefit from one of the better timers at the range

21 hours ago, cmalin06 said:

Don't forget quality ear and eye pro will make your day on the range much more enjoyable 

You've got that right. I have a new Peltor Tactical Sport headset, and really like them.

The glasses I use are Wiley X Sabers. I have three pair. Clear, Amber, and Gray. The one that I use depends upon the light conditions at the time.

• 1 month later...
I saved some money by just getting a whole rig set through ghostholsterdirect.  You get a belt, a good holster (you'll want the Thunder), and 3 mag pouches.  I've been extremely satisfied with it for the price and added a little since then.  The only complaint I have is that the belt could be finished a little nicer and that's being slightly picky.  The mag pouches come with options to fit with bullets out pouches too if you prefer.  

The smart phone apps are great for dry fire, but you'll benefit from one of the better timers at the range

Yes I found that the belt is a bit poorly finished, buts way stiffer than cr speed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk