Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New barrel, new problem

bandw1dth

So I've just put a new bbl in my SBR, and would like the collective wisdom of you fellas. I put in an Odin Works 10.5" .223 Wylde bbl and then took it to the local square range for a test fire. I put 20 rounds of the black box American Eagle XM193 through it, this is the stuff with the Lake City head stamps. Upon inspection of the spent casings I noticed I am getting a strange ring on the shoulder of my spent brass. I decided to call it quits at the range till I can figure out what is causing this strange ring and then address any issues. As I do not have any GO and NO-GO gauges I was unable to check for proper headspace prior to test firing the new bbl. I'll attach a picture of the spent brass. What does the collective say could be the issue? 1c1b6e0e3f96207dbeb9006883d7b0c9.jpg

So how did you determine the headspace? You need to get gauges if you're going to be installing barrels. I'd start there and then see if you're still having the problem. (I suspect not, but who knows, maybe the chamber mill pulled out early. That didn't sound right, but you get the idea :wacko:)

Looks like a burr in the chamber. You can check headspace without gauges. You have to strip your bolt of the ejector, you can then take a known good cartridge fit it to the bolt and make sure it will lock up in the extension. Poor mans way but it should tell you if you're good or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk