Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgraded PX4 for Production

mreed911

I've been shooting my PX4 for Production and really enjoying it.  The rotating barrel really has an effect on recoil.  This weekend, however, I had the guide rod tip break out so I took the time to do some upgrades.

I dropped in a stainless steel non-captured guide rod and the Beretta competition trigger/mainspring assembly. I got everything put in tonight and should get some range time later this week or this weekend, but just in dry firing the reset seems shorter and the single action pull is definitely lighter and softer.

Finally, I'd love to have the metal trigger but my reading of the USPSA rules says that's not allowed because it looks different than the original trigger.

The only other change I might make is replacing the three-dot sights with something more competition-ready.  Anyone have a preference for sights on this pistol?

5 hours ago, Gary1911A1 said:

mreed911, did you get a chance to shoot your PX4 and how did it perform? Thanks.

So far I'm loving it.  Three matches in and it's reminding me that it's not a pistol (I have to think about moving differently with a carbine) but being able to take some longer shots has meant fewer shooting positions on a few stages.

I had an optic failure my last match and need to re-zero but will be shooting PCC in Midand next weekend if anyone is around.

• 2 months later...

It's not that I find the PX4 to be a horrible gun.

but out of the box slippery,

non 92 mag compatible,

and over a decade to make it and still no splash in Production.

i literally consider it a has been/never was in Production.

the compact version has recently had some coverage in IPDA by taking advantage of adding stealth levers, trigger work, and being the biggest, least recoiling gun in its class.  But at the end of the day I think it is CPR on a dying platform.

I just picked up my first new Beretta since we switched from the "Burrito" 96D .40 to the P2000 11 years ago at work.  I got one of the PX4 Compact Carry guns with the grey slide.  It is very soft shooting to say the least.  Ive only put a few mags through it but I can't wait to run it at my local IDPA match in a couple of weeks.  The SA trigger is great right out of the box and DA is smooth and manageable.  I do think that I'll replace the Talon grip tape with regular skate tape though.  Is it worth the money?  That's all subjective but I like it a lot so far.  

IMG_0126.JPG

Edited by MJPLEO

• 1 month later...