Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case wall thickness gauge

Well, the doctors didn't kill me last week and I got tired of laying and sitting so I did a few minutes of resting out in the shop today.  Not a big project but an easy one I had been intending to do when I had a few min.

It's just a 3/16 rod with a .100" bearing embedded into one end that can line up with a dial indicator.  I built it to mount on the backstop dowel of my runout gauge to keep it simple.  Now I can have an accurate measurement of case walls without having to ruin one.

Sectioned .223 case.

Empty

300 win mag

The bearing embedded into the arm is close in diameter to the one at the end of the indicator. When aligned, there is very little contact point and most importantly to me, can't scratch the brass like a sharp point would.

If you have a case or cases with impending case separation, send me a PM and I'll make a video of how well it does "seeing" it.

Edited by jmorris

I don't have any cases myself as I don't do a lot of rifle shooting.

but after reading your description I bet even if it didn't directly measure the thin spot you would feel it as it passed the contact points since all the cases I've seen have a pretty sharp "ditch' where it's going to separate.