Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Tactical hammer worth the price of admission?

kells81

It's worth the money.  Not only is it bobbed but it will allow you to lower your trigger pull  and still get 100 per cent reliability.  It comes with two return springs.  Using the springs and balancing your tension will guarantee the proper poundage.  I  went from a 9 lb trigger  on my 929 to 6 pounds  after replacing the hammer and trigger.  You still need to polish the inside especially the rebound slide.

I just  put the hammer for the 617 in.  I was able to take 2 additional pounds off my trigger pull. 

I find that with the lighter trigger pull I get more consistency in my shots and groups will tighten up.

I'm running the Apex hammer in my 686 SSR that I am running for ICORE (Limited-6 gun). It was well worth the money to just be able to drop it in and get a lighter, smoother trigger pull right off the bat. I am using the medium weight rebound spring supplied by Apex and then adjusted the strain screw to where I was getting consistently reliable ignition on primers. I also installed an extended firing pin. You won't be sorry you did it.

• 4 months later...

The apex hammer is nice, not gonna knock it. It just so happened I bought one for my 627 build and it threw the gun out of time. I just find bobing the factory hammer is cheaper, it's already in time, and with a good action job I can get a reliable 6 lb double action with positive ignition every time. Anything less than 6 lb to me starts to get lazy on the reset and you can sometimes outrun the trigger. So my thoughts are why spend $160+ on a hammer when I can achieve the same result with the already paid for OEM hammer. BEfore the bashing of the OEM hammer begins, let me say these factory hammer are hard, they will be as tough as the aftermarket ones and wont break. Cut on one and you'll see how hard and dense they are!

Now if your gonna pay for an action job, and it will need it regardless. (Just dropping in a aftermarket hammer will not be the cure all. All the parts of the system need to be addressed.)  

Option 1: $200 action job + $160 hammer + $40 to adjust hammer to mechanism(not every gun will be plug and play)= $400; reliable 6 lb double action.

Option 2: $200 action Job + $40 Bob OEM Hammer= $240; reliable 6 lb double action

Between the two your finger wont know the difference and with option 2 you have $160 to spend on powder, or bullets, or primers, or dinner for the wife to make her forget the $1k you spent on the gun. Ill just leave this right here for you to ponder B) 

Edited by BallisticianX

I ended up just springing it and chopping the hammer.   I also bought the APEX because it was on sale but I had a trigger pull to the point that it seemed pointless to change it up.   I did have to switch to Federal primers though.   

On 3/27/2017 at 4:57 PM, BallisticianX said:

The apex hammer is nice, not gonna knock it. It just so happened I bought one for my 627 build and it threw the gun out of time. I just find bobing the factory hammer is cheaper, it's already in time, and with a good action job I can get a reliable 6 lb double action with positive ignition every time. Anything less than 6 lb to me starts to get lazy on the reset and you can sometimes outrun the trigger. So my thoughts are why spend $160+ on a hammer when I can achieve the same result with the already paid for OEM hammer. BEfore the bashing of the OEM hammer begins, let me say these factory hammer are hard, they will be as tough as the aftermarket ones and wont break. Cut on one and you'll see how hard and dense they are!

Now if your gonna pay for an action job, and it will need it regardless. (Just dropping in a aftermarket hammer will not be the cure all. All the parts of the system need to be addressed.)  

Option 1: $200 action job + $160 hammer + $40 to adjust hammer to mechanism(not every gun will be plug and play)= $400; reliable 6 lb double action.

Option 2: $200 action Job + $40 Bob OEM Hammer= $240; reliable 6 lb double action

Between the two your finger wont know the difference and with option 2 you have $160 to spend on powder, or bullets, or primers, or dinner for the wife to make her forget the $1k you spent on the gun. Ill just leave this right here for you to ponder B) 

I have to make a correction, the hammer did not create the out of time condition. It was another circumstance unrelated to the hammer.