Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Franklin binary trigger

• 6 months later...

I don't see how that would even be an advantage. If you are in double mode you have to take an even number of shots before leaving a position. Can't be running with the trigger depressed. Seems like something that adds another layer of unnecessary BS that can easily get you dq'd. I think you'll see better times with a lighter crisper trigger like a JP or a hiperfire.

I know IDPA rule boom says the gun cannot fire on the release of the trigger. I have not read enough of the USPSA book yet. 

Man I love USPSA. I dont know half the rules and still never break any!

Edited by GARD72977

Having shot a gun equipped with one a few times, I can't conceive of why you'd want to use one in a match environment even if it were legal.

The moment you encounter a random steel you're now either dumping that second shot or you're firing at remaining paper out of sequence (release then pin on one, transition, repeat on the rest) which again means an unneeded round downrange when it's time to move. All of which adds up to potentially needing a reload where your competitiors don't, if you have to do this too often.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
On 6/2/2017 at 7:45 AM, jlo86cj said:

They are not allowed. Specifically covered in a Q&A doc Troy gave RO's at the optics nationals.

Troy making rules up again?

I personally think they would just get you DQ'ed, AD or running with the booger hook on the bang button. 

1 hour ago, mjmagee67 said:

Troy making rules up again?

Assuming Troy was the Range Master, he is on pretty solid ground on this one:

5.1.6 Handguns must be serviceable and safe. Range Officers may demand examination of a competitor’s handgun or related equipment, at any time, to check they are functioning safely. If any such item is declared unserviceable or unsafe by a Range Officer, it must be withdrawn from the match until the item is repaired to the satisfaction of the Range Master.

The terms "unserviceable or unsafe" are not defined, meaning the RM has wide latitude unless/until his ruling is overturned by an arbitration committee.

I didn't hunt around for the above mentioned Q&A thing but this is how I would call it:

From the existing rules:

"5.1.11 Handguns offering “burst” and/or fully automatic operation are prohibited."

And from the glossary

"Burst Operation ................More than one round can be discharged on a single pull or activation of the trigger."

Simple: count the number of shots and the number of activations.. #Shots > #Activations = prohibited

(ETA: you can argue the definition of "activation" with the RM or spend $100 to entertain the arb committee)

Edited by ChuckS
On 6/2/2017 at 9:45 AM, jlo86cj said:

They are not allowed. Specifically covered in a Q&A doc Troy gave RO's at the optics nationals.

So that covered that match, but without an officially published ruling, how are ROs (and RMs) supposed to interpret this for the matches around the country? A wadded up paper allegedly from Nationals isn't much of a leg to stand on.