Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlanta Arms 9mm Major in Czechmate?

EmergencyDad

I bought 1K rounds of it when I bought my open gun this summer just so I could shoot it before I started to reload for it. The ammo is nice and high quality as anyone could expect from AA. It shot well and didn't have any malfunctions with it. I never chrono'd it out of my gun so I can't tell you if it made PF or not.  

147 isn't a real popular 9mm major bullet weight. 115s and 124s allow more gas through the comp. ORM Tech Ammunition sells a 115 grain 9mm major load that I have been shooting for about 6 months now with great success. Its Factory new ammo, not reloads and might be what you are looking for.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:14 PM, EmergencyDad said:

Is anybody running this ammo?  If so, any feedback on performance would be appreciated.

What did you want to do with it?  

Running it in which gun?

As Novock mentioned, you'll be better off with a lighter bullet

if you're shooting thru a compensator ...   :) 

frgood, you are correct on all points.  Looking to dabble in Open (I know, I know - risk of becoming hooked on it is high) and don't really want to load my own. I have bought AA ammo for production and limited before, and am generally happy with it.  Just trying to get a handle on potential sources of 9mm major I can run through the Czechmate, and wondering if anybody was running this particular combination of gun/ammo.

On 11/25/2016 at 6:10 PM, 3gunDQ said:

If you don't want to load major then you don't want to shoot open. 

Agreed. I'm not sure I even want to run 9MAJOR ammo in my gun that I didn't load myself.

6 hours ago, Sarge said:

Sorry, you just earned a big old, "DUH"!

I just don't get it, why buy 9mm major? It is a lot cheaper to load, and it is specific to your gun. I would not trust 9mm major that I did not load myself, not just for the safety aspect, but for reliability as well. I guess that maybe does earn a 'DUH', but common sense must be factored in, and it obviously isn't as people actually seem to buy it, lol.

13 minutes ago, abb1 said:

I guess that maybe does earn a 'DUH', but common sense must be factored in, and it obviously isn't as people actually seem to buy it, lol.

I'll bet only a tiny fraction of shooters buy it as opposed to making it themselves. I know several 9MAJOR open shooters. None of them buy ammo that I'm aware of.

The DUH was more of a, "Hell yeah it's cheaper to load than to buy". That's true of any ammo, especially 9MAJOR.

There are people who would rather pay a ton of $$$ to not have to load ammo (usually these are people who have large amounts of disposable income). They may buy a gun that works well with the factory load as opposed to making the load to the gun. It is also something that gets purchased by people when they first start in open to get a feel sometimes. I bought a small amount when a gun I purchased (with a 3 day inspection period) was going to arrive before my reloading gear. I doubt they sell massive quantities of factory major ammo, but they wouldn't bother making it if there weren't buyers. 

***and as for why its 147 grain, its to cover themselves legally. Lower pressures in 147 major then a typical major load. Less chance of something going boom (the wrong way), and less chance of being hit with a lawsuit. They actually used to make 124 major quite a while back. 

Edited by MHitchcock

Why did I buy 9mm Major?

I bought it because I did not have the skill at the time to work up a high pressure load and I had this open gun sitting here that I wanted to try. Universal and Atlanta have a reputation of producing quality 9 Major  ammo as they are not , a friend that knocks out some rounds for a few friends. I got a case and got to play with my new toy. I was not about to let a CK Arms Thunder sit in a case on my shelf while I learned how to roll some specialized ammo. I was rolling my .40 quite sufficiently but 9mm major is another step all together for a conscientious learning reloader.

That is why I bought 9 mm Major ammo.

1 hour ago, frgood said:

Why did I buy 9mm Major?

I bought it because I did not have the skill at the time to work up a high pressure load and I had this open gun sitting here that I wanted to try. Universal and Atlanta have a reputation of producing quality 9 Major  ammo as they are not , a friend that knocks out some rounds for a few friends. I got a case and got to play with my new toy. I was not about to let a CK Arms Thunder sit in a case on my shelf while I learned how to roll some specialized ammo. I was rolling my .40 quite sufficiently but 9mm major is another step all together for a conscientious learning reloader.

That is why I bought 9 mm Major ammo.

If you're loading 40 major with heavy bullets over a fast powder chances are reall saw@y good your rounds at producing more pressure than my 9 major ?

I think people who don't reload 9 major spread unwarranted fear about it's safety.

If you take the time to learn the principles at work it's no more dangerous than any other load.

Its honestly safer than loading 9mm minor with something like titegroup

If you randomly get a double charge with titegroup you are fkd. You literally can't double charge 9mm major. Its ez to see if powder is right because its readily apparent. As long as you are making sure your OAL is good you good to go.

Just now, MHitchcock said:

Its honestly safer than loading 9mm minor with something like titegroup

If you randomly get a double charge with titegroup you are fkd. You literally can't double charge 9mm major. Its ez to see if powder is right because its readily apparent. As long as you are making sure your OAL is good you good to go.

Heck, some powders you can't even fit enough in a 9mm case to cause an issue. 3n38 for example