Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL AP - Flare changing?

RickT

My LNL has seen at least 90K 9mm rounds.  It's near flawless with the exception of the nefarious case feeder.  The PTX is a Rick Koskela hardened unit that does a great job.  The set screws on the limiter have not changed, but the flare increased causing me to readjust.  Has anyone else seen this?

Now, as I type this I realize I have not check the PTX for accumulation of grime.  It's likely this is the culprit, but I wouldn't mind hearing from what others might have experienced.

I use a separate expander die, but I clean the insert after every 1000 or so rounds loaded. I load with wet tumbled brass, but there's still a visible buildup of grime and brass dust. So far no issues with flare size changing.

What kinds of issues are you having with your case feeder? I've installed sweeps inside the bowl to prevent multiple cases from dropping, restricted the feed funnel so cases don't drop upside down, added tubing to the bottom of the drop tube so cases don't bounce off sub plate, AND smoothed out the push rod that moves the pivot block so it doesn't bind up. I think I also polished the angled portion of the pivot block the push rod pushes up against and used grease to smooth out the action. After all that, I finally have that case feeder working close to 100%. On occasion, the v-block will get stuck trying to push a shall into the shell plate.

Most of my case feeder issues are at the top end.  I know there are excellent remedies, but haven't had time to experiment despite knowing that I'd get a good return on investment.  I did find some buildup on the PTX and the adjustment screws on the limiter are not back in a normal set point.