Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV N320 for STI 40 Major - Max Loads?

mrh7

After browsing the forums I bought VV N320 powder to use in an STI Edge to make Major PF in 40 S&W in IPSC in Canada. I just loaded and chronoed a few rounds yesterday (13 Degrees Celsius and Sunny):

180gr Copper Jacketed Round Nose Bullets
Mixed Headstamp Brass
CCI small pistol primers
OAL = 1.18
VV N320 4.5 gr

The VV website suggests 3.5 - 4.1 grains for 180 gr bullets. I loaded up to 5.0 gr but only got average velocities of 900 fps which equates to a PF of 161.

Can I just keep going up till I get to a velocity of 950/ PF of 170 or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Will your Edge reliably feed shorter rounds?

I am working on a similar load using N320 for my Apeiro and averaged 947 fps using 5grs loaded @ 1.16" OAL (180 gr jhp). I'm going to have to go to either 5.2 grs or load shorter if I want to consistently make major PF.

Have you checked this out:

http://www.practicalhandgun.com/vihtavuori-n320-ipsc-loads.html

The loads listed in the above link were chrono'ed out of a STI Executive, but I'm getting lower velocities. 

Where in Canada are you?

Edited by Hooked

Thanks for sharing and for the link. 

I have previously tried factory ammo from different companies with OALs up to 1.135 which proved to be unreliable (lots of failures to feed). With the 1.180 reloads using all the same equipment I have had no misfeeds with the test rounds so far (about 60 rounds in total). I moved straight from the 1.35 factory ammo to 1.180 because so many of the threads suggested an OAL of 1.180 and that seems to have solved the reliability issue for me but at the cost of the power factor....

Your situation seems similar so depending on any other comments here I may have to work on a shorter OAL that is still reliable through a process of trial and error...

I am curious to hear what people think about using 5.2gr considering the manufacturer's range ends at 4.5?

Regards

PS: I am in Southern Saskatchewan

12 hours ago, Hooked said:

Keep in mind that VV's load data also lists a OAL of 1.126" so when you're loading out to 1.18" you're changing the pressure dynamics significantly as well.

What Hooked said.  I just recently worked up a load to shoot in the RIA Pro Match I got a while back and ended up with a 1.2 OAL and 4.9gr charge of N320 with a 185gr bullet.  No pressure signs or anything.  Just step your way up on the chrono until you are making the power factor you want, and check your casings for any pressure signs as you go and you should be fine.

I'll be testing these out tonight at a local indoor USPSA style match, but they felt pretty good while I was out with the chrono.

Hi, I shoot in New Brunswick.  Use an STI Edge.  Campro 180 gr TC loaded to 1.18 with 5.3 gr VV N320.  I barely made major at Summer slam, needed to weigh the 8th bullet.  Loaded a new batch for the Nationals the following weekend with 5.4 and ended up with a PF of 178.

I have loaded up to 5.8g @ 1.180 w/180g jacketed bullet before I started seeing pressure signs.  I have 40s w/SV AET, Nowlin and Bar-Sto barrels and they all require 5.4 - 5.5g to make 168-170 pf (180g bullet @ 1.180).

I'm shooting a 5.5" CK Arms and using 180 Gr. Blue Bullets loaded to 1.185".   14 shots at 4.6 grains got me an Avg PF of 168, Low of 162, and High of 172.  I bumped up to 4.7 for local competitions, but haven't had a chance to run those over a chrono.

If you haven't tried out any of the coated lead bullets from Blue Bullet, SNS, ACME, Black Bullets, LBJEHEADS, Bayou, etc... then I think you are missing out on an economical and accurate option that also requires less powder to get to power factor.

3 hours ago, mrh7 said:

Thank you all for sharing these experiences and suggestions.

I will look into the availability of coated lead bullets in the meantime. Any further suggestions would be appreciated...

Check out xmetaltargets.com.  Theyre in Quebec and their plated bullets are supposedly quite good.  I was thinking of ordering some if they have their Black Friday sale again this year. 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:20 PM, mrh7 said:

Thank you all for sharing these experiences and suggestions.

I will look into the availability of coated lead bullets in the meantime. Any further suggestions would be appreciated...

Make sure you take into account forum memberships and other available discounts as well if you order.  I know that Blue Bullets gives an enos forums discount. 

To me....   All of the Hytek Coated bullets are pretty much the same and seem to be pretty interchangeable as far as accuracy goes.  For some reason I always get just a little more accuracy out of the Blue Bullets, even though I want to like the others better, since the Blue's do leave a little blue residue on your fingers.   Most of the others like SNS, ACME, and Bayou use the same Hytek coating.  I would be happy to use any of them.. they are really that close, but for some reason I love the red "lipstick" bullets you end up with when you go with ACME.  For some reason, they just look cool, and makes it easy to find your bullet when you unload and show clear!

• 3 weeks later...

My major match load is a 180 gr Hornady HAP loaded at 1.180 oal with 4.9-5.1 grains of N320 (forget the exact charge since no majors in a while), pf 170+.  Gun is a custom STI 5.5".  Going to explore N320 with 180 grain BBIs, my starting load will probably be 4.6 grains

Edited by blaster113
more info

• 2 years later...