Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To crimp or not to crimp 9mm Major loads?

Hopper

8 hours ago, carlspeed said:

Thanks. So my crimp shouldn't really be a crimp, but the minimum to get the bullet to seat in the chamber checker?

More so your guns barrel, that's the one that matters. But for simplicity sake test your chamber checker / gauge against your barrel to see what fails the gauge but goes in the gun. You'll learn the sweet spot.

1 minute ago, ShortBus said:

For the people worried about set back on multiple chamberings.. have you measured OAL, then chambered a bunch and re measured? They can usually go a good bit. 

I did that a couple years ago - about one-third of the rounds got a little shorter.

Nothing dangerous, but YES, they did get a little shorter ....   :wacko:

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I did that a couple years ago - about one-third of the rounds got a little shorter.

Nothing dangerous, but YES, they did get a little shorter ....   :wacko:

Idk, I don't have that problem at .377-8

1 hour ago, 57K said:

. The higher the pressure of the load, the more the problem is likely to be with high pressure cartridges. I've seen some guys offer the opinion that varying OACL with 9mm even at 35,000 PSI, Standard Pressure, pressure and velocity do not change. I think they gathered their opinions from .45 ACP and just asssumed that it's the same for the 9 x 19mm! I can guarantee you it is not the same. Sometimes when I want to manipulate a load for whatever reason, say to lower pressure and velocity, changing the OACL may be necessary to get the same uniformity where the standard deviation given by your chrono may be telling you something about a change in pressure. Do this for 30 years like I have and you'll be able to closely estimate the change in velocity, sometimes within 5 FPS.

30 years of reloading? Sounds like you are making many many assumptions about 9MAJOR, and those who reload it. 

Most of us have loaded enough of it to know EXACTLY what affects the various parameters. Modern powders have almost made it a routine process. 

FYI, OAL will suffice. :)

21 minutes ago, 57K said:

Well, I can tell you that 30 years of handloading has taught me to never ASSume anything is routine. Particularly not with 9 x 19mm that is higher in pressure than the 40,000 PSI "suggested" limit for +P+. Not to mention the number of Magnum revolver loads I've handloaded over the same period.

OAL, OCL, COAL and others. Over-All Cartridge Length works just fine and is almost never misunderstood except by someone who apparently has a burr up their ass.

Bwahaha!