Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

U-die in a 650 ??

I wet tumble my brass with S/S pins after de-priming ... dry the brass in a dehydrator... 30 minutes...  when I start loading I spray my brass with One Shot in a Tupperware container... let the lube dry for 5 minutes... then load..  roll around the loaded rounds in bath towel to remove the remaining lube.. ...then case gauge every round..

Always lube brass. Makes the whole process easier on the brass, press and the operator. 40S@W is where the U die shines

seen guns that wouldn't run start running just going to the U die. A Lee standard sizing die or a U die is station one on every

caliber I load. Set with a small strip of paper with pressure on the handle the strip should pull out but not go in.

Lee's carbide ring is close to the case mouth and if set to kiss the shell plate may crack the carbide ring.

Take the powder funnel out and turn it down till the case slips on to funnel. I used a drill press and sandpaper then

polished both the outside and the inside of the funnel. Inside stops bridging above the funnel.

Lock the sizing die from the bottom using a Dillon nut.

You are sizing tighter and closer to the extractor groove than before, your press needs to be in time and the brass

lubed. May run a little slower as the mouth of the die is smaller.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:27 AM, TANFARM said:

Down side...there is crap sticking to everything...plate, brass and finished rounds....yikes!!!!!!

I use One Shot.  If I don't let it dry long enough powder and such will stick to it.  If it dries for a while then the issue goes away and the brass runs even better.  

4 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

I use One Shot.  If I don't let it dry long enough powder and such will stick to it.  If it dries for a while then the issue goes away and the brass runs even better.  

Same. A lot of guys don't like One Shot, but just a very small amount of it will make small pistol brass run like butter, without the mess of lanolin. A one-half second spray into a zip lock with 200 9mm cases in it is plenty. Shake it up, pour the brass into your feed hopper, and let it dry thoroughly before loading. When one shot dries (as long as you used *very* little) it won't leave the cases feeling greasy, and it won't rub any lube off on to anything else... case feeder, etc.

On 1/3/2017 at 7:39 PM, Loudgp said:

Thank you. Are the Redding dies worth the money ? I've been using Lee carbide for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Redding Competition Seating die.  Pricey, but the ability to fine tune the OAL of the round without having to use a wrench makes it worth it to me.

I own a reloading company on the west coast and we tried dillon case lube and it helps the press run like it is lubed with butter..The down side is the discoloration and stickiness of the lanolin if the ammo sits for a period of time. We switched to one shot and it works great. Being a dry film lube, noting gets gummed up and the fisnished product stays looking good for a long time. I highly recommend giving one shot a look.

We also switched to Lee dies for the ease of adjusting. I believe they turn out a better and more consistent product..