Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 and 135 grain Coated Lead

Brucenterry

2 minutes ago, Taroman said:

This works for me:

Maximum will vary. Work up from here.

LRN 135 N320 3.6GRN   LO 1002  HI1023 AVG1009 ES21 SD7.21

Fed Std Primer

Thanks Taroman, 3.8g's got me to your numbers exactly out of a CZ, just wondering how much is too much!  I ran 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9g.  3.9 felt/shot the best, not sure if I should try going hotter to see if accuracy improves or do you base the best load on min ES/StDev?

Viht's data for a 145gr LRN lists a max of 3.8gr.  Based on that, I wouldn't worry about going to a max of 4.0.  And with the new N320 being a touch slower than the old N320, and often taking an extra .1gr-.3gr, I wouldn't think twice about going to a max of 4.1, and maybe 4.2 in a pinch.

Not that you are going to need to go over 3.9 for what you're loading these for. ;) 

13 hours ago, jeffm_norcal said:

I started to see pressure signs at 4.2.  My go to for nv320 with BBI 135 is 3.7 @ 1.130.  

Useful info.  The SNS 135 and the BBI 135 are less than a hundredth of an inch apart in bullet length.  I suspect their pressure curves are at least similar.   

OK my N320/135gr BBRN loads.

Tanfo Stock II and M&P 9Pro. 3.6gr N320 under 135gr BBRN at 1.115-1.120 using either Winchester or Federal SPP (have used CCI on the M&P and saw no real chrono difference) this load gives me a Power Factor of 129 to 133.

CZ SP-01 I had to bump the load up .2gr to 3.8gr to give me a Power Factor of 129 to 132. I would use 3.7gr for practice and local matches this gave me a Power Factor of 126 to 129ish. The OAL was bumped up a little to 1.120 to 1.125 this was using either Winchester or Federal SPP.

I'm having very good luck with 3.7 320 and a 135 gr. bullet.

[emoji819]️[emoji832]what he said. 3.5 to 3.7 grains OAL of 1.130 to 1.135. PF 127 to 135 depending on charge and gun. 3.5 gr @ 1.130 is a 131 PF in a G34 but 127 in an Edge. 3.7gr @ 1.135 was 135 PF in a G34 and 131 in the Edge. I settled on 3.6 gr at 1.132 OAL to use in both guns. PF 133ish in the G34 and 130ish in the Edge. [emoji6] Bayou Bullets rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/11/2016 at 6:53 PM, IDescribe said:

Viht's data for a 145gr LRN lists a max of 3.8gr.  Based on that, I wouldn't worry about going to a max of 4.0.  And with the new N320 being a touch slower than the old N320, and often taking an extra .1gr-.3gr, I wouldn't think twice about going to a max of 4.1, and maybe 4.2 in a pinch.

Not that you are going to need to go over 3.9 for what you're loading these for. ;) 

What is the definition of the new N 320?  What date constitutes "new.?"

37 minutes ago, mjohn said:

What is the definition of the new N 320?  What date constitutes "new.?"

I can't give you a date.  During the shortage, N320 disappeared for quite some time.  The U.S. stock was bought up.  At the beginning of 2014, Nammo bought Vihtavuori and the plant where it's made.  I have seen it suggested that this acquisition contributed to the delay in getting more stock back into the U.S., but I have no idea if that's the case, and even if it is, I don't know that it matters to this question.  Regardless, at some point there was a long gap of no N320, and when it came back in, many people were finding their loads needed to be adjusted up a little from their old stock to match their old loads.  

This just happens.  When some random Joe runs out of his current stock from one lot of Bullseye bought a couple years ago, and he discovers that he has to adjust his pet loads a tenth of a grain or so after he makes his next 24 pound purchase, he says -- eh, that new lot of Bullseye is a touch slower.  And who knows, maybe the next purchase will be from a lot that's a touch faster, and he'll have to back down a hair.  But with N320, it was gone for a long period of time, there were lots of people waiting on it, and when it started to come back in, quite a few people started noticing it was a touch slower than their old stock, took a little extra powder to match the old loads, and when you factor in the new bottle and the new label, calling it the new N320 just seemed natural. I by no stretch intended that it was a new formulation.  Same formula.  New lot.  No big deal. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
The real truth is that you should fall back to a starter load and chrono back up to final any time you change to a new jug, same powder or no.  You can of course not do so, but how much are your gun and hand(s) worth to you?

I sincerely doubt you could lose your hand or blow up a gun by loading with a new jug of powder with a different lot number unless your original load was ridiculously unsafe to begin with. I have only ever seen a .1 to .3 grain difference in lot numbers with some winchester powders. I've seen greater variations with ambient temperature differences. If you do load extremely hot, like 9mm in major, the guns are built to take it. The only guns I have seen blow up were plastic guns that someone shot 9mm major ammo out of, double charged loads, and the second shot fired after a squib load. No need to scare folks with images of bodily injury and blown up guns simply from changing your powder lot number. On the other hand, reloading is a technical hobby with rules of best practice. With every new lot number, loads should be chronoed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Red Ryder said:

I sincerely doubt you could lose your hand or blow up a gun by loading with a new jug of powder with a different lot number unless your original load was ridiculously unsafe to begin with.

Can't disagree there, and I don't think it's strictly necessary to back off all the way down to starting loads, but it might be considered reasonable to back off a few tenths and see what the chronograph says on opening a new jug.