Will Abrahams

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 9:52 AM, WestTex said:

Did you actually get that to gauge? I had to beat on mine forever just to fit a 3g basepad, and that even includes trimming off a little of the back corner of the feed lips just to barely fit the gauge. All 4 of my gen 2s were like that. 

O it would not fit the gauge with the 4g it took some filing and tweaking and all it does is nose dive. I should have left it alone  it fit the gauge with a stock basepad. Now it's junk nothing I've tried feed lip wise helps. The 140 fits the gauge and runs fine. It'll feed by hand but as soon as it goes bang it's done. Went today and in 7 rounds it nose dived 2 times. Mbx 170 and gen 2 140 ran flawless

Edited by ncg34shooter

Ncg34shooter, what bullet profile are you using? My gen 2 170 nosedives and with flatpoint bullets it jams. I had been shooting the flatpoint hollow base Berry's. They are very short and have a wide flat point.

I just put in a Grams follower and TTI basepad. Got some sharper poined  truncated cone and round nose blue Bullets to try.

Hopefully the rain will stop long enough for me to try them out today

The inherent problem in both iterations of the new style STI tubes is the double stack to single stack transition area is off, hence the nose dives.  "Maybe" an aftermarket spring and follower will appear to correct the nose dive issue but the reality is the problem is still there.

Why do I say "both iterations" of the new style tubes?  When they originally came out the nose dive issues were prevalent.  Some will remember STI had a fire sale of the new style magazines in late 2017, something like buy 2 get 2 free and the such.  That helped clear out inventory of those 1st generation new style tubes.  Knowing the nose dive issues they went back to the actual manufacturer they contracted to make the new tubes and tried to reposition the control rib in the double stack to single stack area.  That is the current generation, which still is not reliable.  Otherwise, everything else about the new style tubes is built well.

You'll notice on Atlas's FB page he has a short video of what they discovered and how they are fixing it.  Luckily the dog does not get shot....

My remembrance on this might be backward but at least for the 9mm/38 tubes the 1st generation new style had 9mm/38 super stamped in them.  The latest generation has only 9mm.   Someone who bought the new style when they first came out earlier last year and did not chuck them in the garbage can verify what the 1st generation tubes had stamped on them.

Ok, mine just has 9mm. The Grams spring does not snap over like the factory spring does if that makes since.

If you push on the front of a bullet in the factory setup with about 8-10 rounds, you can hear and feel the spring snap to the back of the mag and bullets have less tension in the Front. Not compressing linearaly. Like the spring is to narrow for the mag.

The Grams does not do this. I did install the Gram for 38S. Not the 9mm.

Caught a break in the rain and ran a mag of the flat points and had one nosedive jam. Ran the 124 truncated cone Berry's and no failures in 4 mag fulls. Thinking bullet profile plays a lot in this.

This was in a 170 with TTI basepad and a 38S grams follower.

I bought a "NEW STYLE" STI 9mm 170 mm magazine  that does not require a spacer.. the follower rolls over when you try to load more than 15 or 16 rounds.. I called STI 2 weeks ago to find out how to solve the problem with this brand new magazine.. and I called again last week ...  the person that I spoke to took my info and said they will be in touch... no one from STI has called to date...   it seems STI knows these new magazines are not up to par.. and does not want to rectify their mistakes...  I thought STI was a more customer service friendly company...

I think I have mine tweaked right I hope. The last 2 rounds now touch at full capacity. But it will be next week before I can take it to the range to try out. I would upload a pic but the file is too big.

I don't trust it to run at a match and I have proven mags to use for now.

It seems like I have several of the 1st gen "new style"  (I bought them in the buy 2 get 1 deal last summer).  I have kept them stock, because I run MBX magazines in matches, and have heard that once you start messing with the guts, that's when the issues get compounded.  So far they have ran 100%, they are my practice and dry-fire magazines though.