Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New style STI mags

Will Abrahams

5 minutes ago, louu said:

You probably don't need the mag tuning kit. What you really need is grams spring kits.

Thanks, I'll look into that, this is my first STI style pistol and still learning all the ins and outs.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For .40

I use a combination of Taran guts(with modified follower), Taran 4mm base pad and the old style tube and can start at 21+1 or 20 reloadable. I can actually reload with 21 on a few of my mags but it requires a deliberate shove, not hard, but more so than normal.

I bought a couple of the new style to try and just out of curiosity I pulled the guts from one of my current mags and can only get 20+1 at start and 20 reloadable. 

Anyone else share the same problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Been running the 2 factory 9mm mags that came with my STI DVC 3 Gun without issue. 

Looking to get some more magazines to eventually start getting involved in actual 3 gun competitions. Which route would you guys suggest? Should I get the new STI 140mm magazine body and get a Taran 4mm base pad, spring, follower, and spacer? 

Edited by FlashAndPoof

If you go with the new STI mag tubes (ver. 2) you won't need spacers.  I just bought 3 of them and put the Taran Basepads and follower and haven't had any issues in the 3 matches that I've been running them.  

5 hours ago, Halo09 said:

If you go with the new STI mag tubes (ver. 2) you won't need spacers.  I just bought 3 of them and put the Taran Basepads and follower and haven't had any issues in the 3 matches that I've been running them.  

Mind if I ask where you bought the mag tubes from? Seems some places don't have the new ver 2 yet.

I received 4 STI 9 mm 140 mags. Ran a couple of loads through each....promptly returned to STI.

Mags would not drop out of Atlas frame . Strangely enough my Maglula loader would not work . It hangs up on every rounds.

Rounds were flipping inside of 2 mags.

STI promptly returned " New " mags......same problems......Good Lord....what was I thinking.

going to replace the guts and try to file down the inside of the loader. I tried 2 loaders same problem. Thank goodness these are practice mags!

I have multiple MBX mags...never a problem.......should have learned.....Just my experiences folks.

And I have a bag of 10 old style STI mags if anyone can really tune them?...Tarin guts I installed??

On 6/22/2017 at 8:32 AM, TANFARM said:

I received 4 STI 9 mm 140 mags. Ran a couple of loads through each....promptly returned to STI.

Mags would not drop out of Atlas frame . Strangely enough my Maglula loader would not work . It hangs up on every rounds.

Rounds were flipping inside of 2 mags.

STI promptly returned " New " mags......same problems......Good Lord....what was I thinking.

going to replace the guts and try to file down the inside of the loader. I tried 2 loaders same problem. Thank goodness these are practice mags!

I have multiple MBX mags...never a problem.......should have learned.....Just my experiences folks.

And I have a bag of 10 old style STI mags if anyone can really tune them?...Tarin guts I installed??

Yes- those loaders do hang up on every round loaded- just wont work-

BUT- my two 170 new style mags hold 28 rounds with the Grams follower/spring and the TT base pads- 

AND both run fine- in 4 matches as of 6/24/17

I just got a .40 STI G2 tube with TTI spring follower and 4mm base pad.

Feed lips where adjusted to .385" in rear and .395" in the front.

Body is .941" thick at top and .940" thick at bottom.

21 rounds reloadable with proper competitive/ positive insertion.

Pretty easy.

Will test over the next 3 months before using in any matches.

My maglula did need to be filed on a little to accommodate the top of magazine to keep from sticking.

Works just fine now.

Complete magazine cost $115.88 including shipping from TTI.

Dawson shipped tube free.

Hope these new STI bodies work for me as my gun didn't like the MBX as the would nose dive occasionally.

My old style STI 20 round reloadable mags have been reliable but want to have a couple 21's in my tool bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got the new 170mm STI magazine.The follower flipped with 28 rounds. of super comp, tried grams spring and follower and the follower got hung up in the tube, installed SVI 38 super blue competition follower with STI spring and TTI 4mm base pad problem solved. 29 rounds with room to spare , 500 rounds trouble free. Did I need this mag ,no as I have loads of SV mags with grams guts that have never failed. I need help.

Edited by TONY BARONE

I just got a .40 STI G2 tube with TTI spring follower and 4mm base pad.
Feed lips where adjusted to .385" in rear and .395" in the front.
Body is .941" thick at top and .940" thick at bottom.
21 rounds reloadable with proper competitive/ positive insertion.
Pretty easy.

Will test over the next 3 months before using in any matches.
My maglula did need to be filed on a little to accommodate the top of magazine to keep from sticking.
Works just fine now.

Complete magazine cost $115.88 including shipping from TTI.
Dawson shipped tube free.

Hope these new STI bodies work for me as my gun didn't like the MBX as the would nose dive occasionally.
My old style STI 20 round reloadable mags have been reliable but want to have a couple 21's in my tool bag.

Update on .40 STI G2 tubes.
I have 1000 through this magazine without a problem.
21 round reloadable.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone having problems with these new mags in 40? I have two of them and they are occasionally bumping the slide stop on my STI tactical, it looks like the opening at the front of the mag is wider and allows the bullets to shift to the left side of the mag and the bullet nose can hit the slide stop and cause the slide to lock back. Tried shaving down the slide stop and it seemed to help but I had it happen again last night at practice. Not sure how much I want to take off the slide stop just to use the new mags. I will say that I'm able to get 21 reloadable on the new mags but like someone else mentioned earlier it takes a little effort but doable so I just keep them at 20 (Taran 4g and grams spring/follower kit)

Two malfunctions today with these mags. One was bone stock with factory guts, the other had factory guts and Dawson basepad. I have tried Grams guts in these mags and they don't run with Grams. Considering trying TTI guts but not sure if I want to spend good money after bad at this point. MBX runs without issue for me.

20170803_163536.jpg

20170803_161037.jpg

10 hours ago, sfinney said:

Design flaws like the shape of his follower does not work with those tubes, or a problem with the design of the tube themselves?

Graham's are the best followers around... they make a shity STI mag run, if STI made a magazine that cant use the only thing that made their mags wortha shit then id say there are some flaws.

Hello: Sometimes certain followers don't work with certain mags very well that doesn't mean that the magazine has a flaw. If you use the old style SVI followers in a old style STI mag you will have problems. The followers are designed for certain shapes of magazines and the correct springs. Hopefully this weekend I will get to play with one of the new STI magazines and see how they look. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

Graham's are the best followers around... they make a shity STI mag run, if STI made a magazine that cant use the only thing that made their mags wortha shit then id say there are some flaws.

Yes, they are great. I have used them for years. I was not insinuating they were made badly. I was asking for clarification on the comment about the new tube's "flaws". Don't assume I was attacking anyone's product. No dog in this hunt.

Eric - agreed - In my mind a flaw is not that a new version of a product is improved or redesigned, and now parts made for previous editions may not be 100% compatible. I just want to know what the flaws in the actual tubes are, can they be overcome, or are there recommended fixes,  before I invest in them.... or MBX.... or SV..... or stock old tubes.

I am having issues with the 40 mags allowing the bullet nose to move over enough to activate the slide stop, I have shaved down my slide stop quite a bit since it may have been a tad oversized, but i am still having the issue. I have noticed that the opening at the front of the mag body below the feed lips is considerably larger than the old style magazines this unfortunate since I have been able to get 21 reloadable out of both my new style mags with grams followers and TTI bases.  I would post a pick but I am out of town for work. Anyone else having this issue?

Load:

180 gr round nose flat point Black Bullets

1.180 oal

5.0 gr N320