Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training without sights

Maxamundo

Tried this today and thought it was pretty interesting. Excuse the graininess it was just before the sun went down.

I feel like removing the sights gave me a new perspective on every little part of my grip and how it interacts with the gun. Kind like closing your eyes and feeling your way around a room.

Edited by Maxamundo

My son had his rear sight break early this year and did not know it till the end of the next stage, shoot good, as a kid he got mad and upset and wanted to leave with 3 stages to go.

I talked him into finishing and he shot just as good as if the sights were there.

Some good stuff in the video. Couple of thoughts.

The first is, you can certainly continue to do drills like this with the sights on the gun as proven by the thousands of people that have sights on their guns that they ignore.

I think the benefits you get from training like this is something that is inherent in shooting an open gun and is partly why using a dot is such a powerful training tool.

In the drill you're trying to make your natural point of aim, index, and recoil management very accurate and repeatable. Then between drills you're making adjustments based on what you see on target. I don't live fire much but I try to operate my dry fire in a similar way.

My goal is to have the first vision of the dot be precisely where I want it to be. Like you, I'll do a drill and make adjustments between the drill based on what I saw. Sometimes those adjustments will be on aspects of my grip and other times I'll adjust my stance. I'm always trying to move at full speed then make myself more precise at that speed. To me, the reason why drilling like this is so valuable with a dot is the immediate, accurate, and easily assimilated feedback that it provides. 

I think that doing this without the sights is intended to make your eyes focus on the target (I'm assuming you aren't aiming by looking over the slide, which can be really effective). Mechanically that is really no different than shooting with a dot. You don't have to work for the information like you do with sights. It's just there for free.

Good work Maxamundo. Another fun drill you might try... Put an 8" or 10" steel plate up at 10 yards. Aim at the center of the plate (with sights), then close your eyes and remember what your index position and grip feels like - remember it all as one feeling. Keep your eyes closed, holster the pistol, then with your eyes still closed draw, summon the remembered feeling, and shoot the plate.

• 4 weeks later...