Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Fool's Errand? 2011 Delima

bulldog009

So, I think what I may do is wait until the end of the year bonus comes in and see what I could put those funds towards. I really love the idea of a 2011, and maybe before then I'll be able to find one to put a few rounds through. 

So, I think what I may do is wait until the end of the year bonus comes in and see what I could put those funds towards. I really love the idea of a 2011, and maybe before then I'll be able to find one to put a few rounds through. 

Come to proactive Sunday morning. I'll let you fire one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but I can relate so much to OP.

When I got into shooting, one of my first guns was a 1911 and I fell head over heels with the history and beauty of the platform (also cause I live win California, so it made more sense than owning a double stack). Started out just like you punching holes in paper at the range and gradually progressed to IDPA and ultimately went to USPSA.

I've never shot single stacks/2011s well. No matter how much dry firing or live practice I put the gun through, I was never consistent with it. I never wanted to let go of the platform (still haven't really), but I finally decided to give other guns more time (polymer and CZ) and so far all those guns have yielded far better results. I thought it was a grip issue or perhaps my girly hands couldn't handle major PF, but after taking a Ben Stoeger class and reading countless sources of shooting technique I just came to the conclusion that the platform wasn't for me. As I said, I'm not blaming the gun, but every other platform has given me no issues.

Try it out first, OP, and give it a little time to really cement in whether or not the gun is good for you.

Ive been shooting glocks since about 1999 or so.  17 then 34 then 35.  Been shooting 35 for about 10 years.  This year got a deal on a new edge.  It really is a nice gun & has put fun back into shooting.  Havent touched my glocks since I got this gun & I think my shooting is starting to improve some.  Not sure if its better sights, more accurate gun, better trigger or just having fun with a new gun.  I like it.  

Good luck, come shoot with us a few hours west of dallas & you can try it out.  WTPS on facebook or 41 lead farm also facebook.

• 2 weeks later...

The hardest part for me in the transition from revolver to 2011 was the grip safety. I could not engage it every time when I tried to keep my thumb on the safety 

I shot 6 months  with my thumb below the safety, then was instructed to rubber band the grip safety. Once that was done I was able to keep my thumb on the safety and hold the gun correctly. My accuracy improved immediately and now very comfortable and would not want to shoot anything else. I am happy I worked through the issues. 

I recommend visiting a local match and talking talking to 2011 owners

maybe even get the option of shooting one. They are a lot of different options and builders out there. Do your homework before buying, may save you some money in long run. 

21 hours ago, Hunter1998 said:

The hardest part for me in the transition from revolver to 2011 was the grip safety. I could not engage it every time when I tried to keep my thumb on the safety 

I shot 6 months  with my thumb below the safety, then was instructed to rubber band the grip safety. Once that was done I was able to keep my thumb on the safety and hold the gun correctly. My accuracy improved immediately and now very comfortable and would not want to shoot anything else. I am happy I worked through the issues. 

I recommend visiting a local match and talking talking to 2011 owners

maybe even get the option of shooting one. They are a lot of different options and builders out there. Do your homework before buying, may save you some money in long run. 

I just cut the little tab off of the inside of the grip safety on both my 2011s and my 1911. It still moves, but it doesn't do anything now.

I have shot or owned custom 2011 limited guns, open guns, factory STI 2011s, Para/RIA doublestacks, 1911s of several flavors, a CZ tactical sport as was mentioned earlier, and Glocks. Glocks are certainly not bad guns, but I personally believe that better options exist, especially in limited and open where the triggers start to really stand out. 19/2011s, the TS, RIA/Para framed guns... any of these I would choose over a Glock at this point. I would echo what the others in this thread have said. Give your 1911 a fair shake, and try out a 2011 as soon as you get the chance. They are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Try it, see if you like it.  Glocks are full of merit, but no Glock trigger can match a 1911 type trigger.  There is more to shooting than triggering, so you may find that it isn't for you.  Not terribly likely, but possible.  You only live once.  Buy a 2011.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with Dr. Mitch.  A 2011 is a beautiful thing regarding the trigger if properly tuned and is in a league unto itself compared to any striker trigger.   For me, I'd never go back to the Glock (unless for production).  Still, then I'd pick the Shadow instead.